Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
I'm not trying to be difficult, if you guys don't like my threads you don't have to read them. I just have questions I'd like to ask. And I'm not begging him to be my bf, I'm just getting to know him.
Well, hang on. You come on here to ask a question. Suddenly when you don't get the answers you like, we're not supposed to participate in your thread.

If you were really actually interested in our true opinions, rather than wanting to be validated, you'd take our advice and treat it as if it were gold. Because dating a sociopath is a bad, bad decision. Unless, of course, you just love major drama in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, if you guys don't like my threads you don't have to read them. I just have questions I'd like to ask. And I'm not begging him to be my bf, I'm just getting to know him.
You ask questions on a public forum and you will get answers, not necessarily the ones you want to hear, but after 5 pages and all different people are telling you the same exact thing - what does that tell you? This last post of yours does sound like you have disregarded every post in this thread.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM

96 posts, read 206,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, hang on. You come on here to ask a question. Suddenly when you don't get the answers you like, we're not supposed to participate in your thread.

If you were really actually interested in our true opinions, rather than wanting to be validated, you'd take our advice and treat it as if it were gold. Because dating a sociopath is a bad, bad decision. Unless, of course, you just love major drama in your life.
Some people were calling me a troll and stuff

Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
But this is the confusing part. He does actually love people, so why couldn't he ever love me or anyone he dates? I know he loves his aunt dearly, he talks so fondly of her. It's why I wondered if he was misdiagnosed or maybe not a severe case or something.
He said he was diagnosed as a sociopath. He was severely abused as a child, that automatically means he has issues. And it sounds like any professionals he's been to thought he was untreatable, because they diagnosed him as a sociopath. Meaning--he hasn't dealt with his issues, which would be major ones. Even without the sociopath diagnosis, we know he has serious issues. These will get in the way of a successful relationship. And if he is a sociopath, it means you can't trust anything he says. The fond talk about auntie could be fake. This is what sociopaths do, they're very convincing con artists.

Look for someone healthy to be with. What's the rush, anyway? You'll be starting college soon, and will be meeting a lot of guys. You won't need online dating. This is the kind of person that posts on free online dating sites. Not a good place to meet guys.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

640 posts, read 717,491 times
History would indicate that I have...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,724 times
Quote:
Would you date someone who is a sociopath? Say this person isn't dangerous at all, they just can't feel emotions like others.
I honestly don't know. I hear that sociopaths are good actors. I might end up dating one and not even know it. However, if I knew that she was a sociopath, I wouldn't even befriend him.

I've had a run in with a few people that are sociopaths, sometimes I could see it in their eyes. Other times I pick it up from what they say. Other times, it's their overall energy.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He said he was diagnosed as a sociopath. He was severely abused as a child, that automatically means he has issues. And it sounds like any professionals he's been to thought he was untreatable, because they diagnosed him as a sociopath. Meaning--he hasn't dealt with his issues, which would be major ones. Even without the sociopath diagnosis, we know he has serious issues. These will get in the way of a successful relationship. And if he is a sociopath, it means you can't trust anything he says. The fond talk about auntie could be fake. This is what sociopaths do, they're very convincing con artists.

Look for someone healthy to be with. What's the rush, anyway? You'll be starting college soon, and will be meeting a lot of guys. You won't need online dating. This is the kind of person that posts on free online dating sites. Not a good place to meet guys.
Sounds like me... I have tons of issues that I don't think a therapist could treat.

But I also have feelings. Then again, I don't trust myself.

I agree with you about online dating too.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

393 posts, read 782,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
SPOT ON!!! X eleventy-zillion!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Sociopaths are NOT harmless. I would say actually that they are NEVER harmless. This is one of those "RUN SCREAMING" moments. You cannot help him, because they actually do not change. There is no therapy or drug that fixes them. Your interests will only be attended to when it will benefit him and they will NEVER be set above his own. When you defy him or seek to gain the upper hand (because you will, eventually), he will do everything he can think of to put you back in your place - unless of course he's found someone of greater interest who will suit his needs better, but maybe not even then.

DO NOT let this into your life. Trust me on this. Please.
Yup, pretty much. He didn't tell you he is a sociopath because he genuinely feels the need to warn you so you can make an informed decision. He's throwing it out there to confuse and disarm you. The fact that he told you he is a vile beast and you still think he is a nice guy that's maybe worth dating just proves that he's gotten a head start on playing with your head.

You are 18, so that's perfect. These freaks love it when you are young and stupid because we are all young and stupid at 18. I met a sociopath in college and lived with him for 3 years afterwards. I had no idea that sociopaths can be the non-creepy, non-killing kind. Your garden variety sociopaths are extremely charming and intelligent people. They channel their intelligence into taking shortcuts to get what they want by controlling and using others. I couldn't afford to move out on my own and I have no family, so I was stuck with mine for a year and a half after I realized that he was a sociopath until I could get the hell away from him. He terrorized me emotionally on a daily basis. I thought he'd kill me when he realized that his passive aggressive *** was up because I figured out his sad little soul (or lack thereof).

I met a normal nice guy after those three years, and it was like sinking underneath a warm, wooly blanket after being out in the blizzard in your underwear. Skip the dating a sociopath thing. It's exhausting and scary. It's 3 years later, and I'm still tired.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM

After reading this: Profile of the Sociopath, I am shocked to realize that I have grown up mostly around Sociopaths.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
After reading this: Profile of the Sociopath, I am shocked to realize that I have grown up mostly around Sociopaths.
I read "The Sociopath Next Door" - suddenly I was surrounded by sociopaths. LOL. I've calmed down a little, but I see them far more places than I expected still. Sometimes I feel like that kid in The Sixth Sense....

"I see sociopaths!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships