Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think it is realistic to find true love and romance well into "middle age" ... and if that is what you are longing for, I say GO FOR IT!

My question for you is: what is "middle aged"? Some people think they have reached middle age before 40, others say it's between 40 and 55 and still others say middle age lasts until your retire at 65. (In my opinion, "middle age" is between 41 and 59 - but that's just my opinion).

Finding the great love of your life is not easy at any age and therefore I think a "FWB" is a good substitute. That is my present situation, and I'm not complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My mother has had several long-term relationships since her divorce at 52 or so. She's now past 65 and happily dating around. It's possible for an older woman to land a relationship, but you have to be a bit of a standout. My mom literally glitters. She just has a very effervescent personality that draws men to her. Her last boyfriend was a total douche, but she's also dated a guy I wished would become my stepfather - they remain friends to this day.

My father is over 80 and has been in an open relationship with a woman who is my mother's age for the past 15 years. She seems happy. But pop's a narcissist and she's a sociopath and they both pursue other partners. That setup weirds me out.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
OP, what is your age and sex?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes, I think it is realistic to find true love and romance well into "middle age" ... and if that is what you are longing for, I say GO FOR IT!

My question for you is: what is "middle aged"? Some people think they have reached middle age before 40, others say it's between 40 and 55 and still others say middle age lasts until your retire at 65. (In my opinion, "middle age" is between 41 and 59 - but that's just my opinion).

Finding the great love of your life is not easy at any age and therefore I think a "FWB" is a good substitute. That is my present situation, and I'm not complaining.
Ditto. There are plenty of men out there looking and wanting to date me and my single -excuse me- divorced female friends. The problem is that there feels like there is no room in my stuffed life to devote as much energy as I should to a relationship. And I have not met anyone who makes me want to shift gears and put them first. It could happen. It just hasn't. Maybe it won't.

FWBs are awesome for this situation. Emphasis on the F and the emotional connection they provide without the commitment/drama/time-suck factor.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
My problem as a single man in my 50s is that I think I might be "stuck in my ways" ...

I am open to being in a committed serious relationship, but at this point in my life I have certain habits and routines I don't think I could easily change if I needed to in order to accommodate the other person. Don't get me wrong, I am in favor of compromise and I have no problem giving up the "single lifestyle" for fidelity and monogamy for someone I love.

Here's an example: I bought 120 year old large Victorian house a dozen years ago and my main hobby and preoccupation has been restoring it to it's former grandeur and furnishing it in the opulent late-19th Century style. What will I do if a "significant other" moves into our home and wants to redecorate it? Usually men will concede the home decor to the woman as long as he has his "man cave." However, I put a lot of research, time, expense, and sweat into the place and I confess it would upset me if color schemes, complex window treatments, furniture arrangements, etc. had to be changed.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
My problem as a single man in my 50s is that I think I might be "stuck in my ways" ...

I am open to being in a committed serious relationship, but at this point in my life I have certain habits and routines I don't think I could easily change if I needed to in order to accommodate the other person. Don't get me wrong, I am in favor of compromise and I have no problem giving up the "single lifestyle" for fidelity and monogamy for someone I love.

Here's an example: I bought 120 year old large Victorian house a dozen years ago and my main hobby and preoccupation has been restoring it to it's former grandeur and furnishing it in the opulent late-19th Century style. What will I do if a "significant other" moves into our home and wants to redecorate it? Usually men will concede the home decor to the woman as long as he has his "man cave." However, I put a lot of research, time, expense, and sweat into the place and I confess it would upset me if color schemes, complex window treatments, furniture arrangements, etc. had to be changed.
Ooh, post pix. I love those kind of houses.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Great example! I think some women would be impressed! Unless they hated your taste in decor, of course. (Red was big in the Victorian era--ugh!) Your project sounds very cool. What city is this gem in, if I may ask? Not San Francisco?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:

120 year old victorian being restored is really awesome. I'm a fan of old houses, always thought they wre much better looking than the new age housing.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 PM

38 posts, read 71,284 times
Onglet to answer you question, I am now 50 (how did THAT happen?).
To be accurate, I am divorced for 17 years now. I guess I used "single" in the title of thread as "divorced" is a bit of a downer IMO. But, this topic absolutely includes divorced persons.

And to Clark, I would agree, I consider middle aged around 45-55. Seems to me that "older" is getting younger and younger (if you know what I mean!) in our youth obsessed culture. 10 years ago, when I was 40, I didn't consider myself old or middle-aged AT ALL. Today, you look at the media, and on this very forum, and 35 year old women are referred to as over the hill!! Ludicrous. At this rate, in a few years you will have to be a fetus with boobs and a killer portfolio to get any action

I have been lucky and have had quite a few relationships both long and short term, 6, 7 years and months to 2 years since my divorce. They obviously didn't last, but I consider them successful anyway.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 PM

38 posts, read 71,284 times
Oh Sorry Onglet - am female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships