Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What's that noise? Oh, I think I hear a Future Cat Lady alert.
Post of the week!!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What's that noise? Oh, I think I hear a Future Cat Lady alert.
Yeah.........as in Jocelyn Wildenstein.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Beauty fades, but dumb is forever.....

If you still work in a bar past 25-30, well, that is sad.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
How are any of these things in any way contradictory?
Change in perspective in my book. Okay but slightly obnoxious to me is someone who loud and/or showing off to impress you and your friends. Someone who I've never met who thinks sending me a drink is an open invitation to be grabby is NOT okay.

Barhopping/"barfly" is also a lot different than your local neighborhood pub (think "Cheers" or "Central Perk," even though that was a coffee shop) that shows your fave sports team or fighter in your case. Aren't you sick of being in bars after working in two of them all day/evening/whenever it is that allows you to still go out every night? Just curious on that one. When I leave work, the last place I want to be is another place that reminds me of it.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
If this thread continues much longer I am going to make fresh popcorn.........anyone want to join? Let me know so I make enough popcorn for everyone.

Pffffffttttttttt......I QUIT going into bars when I was 15, many more fun and less cramped places to "party" than a stinking, crowded, full of self absorbed idiots bar.

Disclaimer: Not ALL bars are like that and not ALL those in said bars are like that.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Can't you stop texting for half an hour? Geez!
I agree!!! The OP should just put away her phone for a while. Can't she live without her online friends for a couple of hours? Why the need to be in constant contact with them?

Yes, that guy was overstepping his boundaries by trying to grab her phone, but perhaps he was tired of people who are so attached to texting 24/7. And haven't we all met people that came off first as jerky, but turned out to be better people and friends over time? And had that guy instead been potential bf material, texting all through that first conversation is a great way to scare him off.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
If the OP is as cool as she seems to think she is, why is she on here talking to all of us old farts?

I have to agree with everyone else - doesn't matter if you just met someone, you're old friends, new friends, dating, married, or whatever if you are out having a face to face conversation with someone you should put your damn phone away and give that person your full attention. The world will continue to spin even if your friend has to wait a few hours for a text response from you...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.
I guess I'd have to be there to really judge, but definitely he was rude. You rude? Maybe. Depends on if he was really conversing one on one with you or it was kinda more of a group conversation. Also, maybe he was talking at you vs with you?? What started first, you being cold or him being obnoxious and attitudinal?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
If the OP is as cool as she seems to think she is, why is she on here talking to all of us old farts?

I have to agree with everyone else - doesn't matter if you just met someone, you're old friends, new friends, dating, married, or whatever if you are out having a face to face conversation with someone you should put your damn phone away and give that person your full attention. The world will continue to spin even if your friend has to wait a few hours for a text response from you...
Yep. This entire thread reminds me of something my grandfather once told me. "When you talk to someone, always make that person feel as if he were the most important person in the room. Because everybody deserves to be treated that way until they prove otherwise." Best advice ever.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
I think I can accurately picture the scene in my head which the OP has described. A few drunk dudes like what they see, so they send drinks over to her table. Drunk guidos start off charming and fun with a clear and defined mission--get into OP's pants. Something about him turns her off, not enough to completely abandon the situation, but enough that she now wants to throw a little cold water on the situation and put out a signal that she's not really interested. Out comes phone.

Guido now starts getting offended that his offer of drinks, cocky banter, and V-Neck tee shirt three sizes too small wasn't sweeping her off her feet, so now he starts getting aggressive and nasty.

Me personally, I'm not a big fan of people who text while I'm having a conversation with them, but under the circumstances--which goes back to context, I can see why the OP sought the shelter of a phone to try and put something between her and Vinny the Octupus.

So while her actions were not going to win any etiquette awards, it wasn't a hanging offense either. Vinny was a douche and she dodged a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships