Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
This is an informal situation that I'm sure a lot of you aren't personally familiar with. We're all crowded together in close proximity by the bar, and yes we're all chatting (some of us even had our phones on the bar, I had mine in my hand). You don't get more informal than that.
How about putting away the phones when you're at the bar and conversing with others? Why is that difficult? Why the need to have it out in a situation such as that or is this way 'things' are done these days?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
This is an informal situation that I'm sure a lot of you aren't personally familiar with. We're all crowded together in close proximity by the bar, and yes we're all chatting (some of us even had our phones on the bar, I had mine in my hand). You don't get more informal than that.

I wouldn't say that. You don't know us.

I also wouldn't accept a drink from a man if I didn't want to talk to him and staring at a screen typing to someone who wasn't even there was more important. In fact, when I'm out with people in the flesh, I don't take out my phone at all. It becomes a tool for emergency use only at that point.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Whatever happened to class and manners? This is about as pedestrian as you can get. Neither party here has one iota of either. And then women in this country can't understand why they are being treated so poorly by men. And visa versa. Go figure.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I understand there's a bit of a generational issue going on here. It's pretty common for me to be out with someone who replies to texts. I'm in my 20s. Sometimes if they're texting someone else they'll ask for advice on what to say or text that they're with me and what they're doing. I understand this is difficult for older people.
Seems to me you've made up your mind on this so why bother asking anyone here?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
How about putting away the phones when you're at the bar and conversing with others? Why is that difficult? Why the need to have it out in a situation such as that or is this way 'things' are done these days?

Once upon a time, people didn't have cell phones. If someone wanted to reach them, they just had to leave a message for them at home and wait until the person received it. They might even have to wait a few hours, or *gasp* until the next day. OMG, horrors!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
It must be very frustrating for you all to go out then, because all they are is filled with people whose mannerisms you don't like.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Once upon a time, people didn't have cell phones. If someone wanted to reach them, they just had to leave a message for them at home and wait until the person received it. They might even have to wait a few hours, or *gasp* until the next day. OMG, horrors!
Once upon a time, they didn't even have phones. They used carrier pigeon or traveled long distances. Life was so much simpler then.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I understand there's a bit of a generational issue going on here. It's pretty common for me to be out with someone who replies to texts. I'm in my 20s. Sometimes if they're texting someone else they'll ask for advice on what to say or text that they're with me and what they're doing. I understand this is difficult for older people.

It has NOTHING to do with a "generational" issue but is has everything to do with a RUDE issue.

You were rude simple as that, granted what the guy did is not acceptable but your behavior was not acceptable no matter WHAT GENERATION you come from.

I'm also betting there are plenty of us OLD people out here that have seen, heard, participated in or started much more exciting things than sitting in some stinking crowded bar "having a good time".......heh there is more to life than a bar and a bunch of snot nosed wanna be's who think they know it all, have seen it all, have done it all and think their wet t-shirt prize is the absolute best.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
I know a lot of you are a lot older than me and barely text, but we were all around the same age and it's pretty common to check your phone/respond to messages when out.
Both of you were rude.. He was completley out of line in taking your property and throwing things at you....
Maybe it is a generational thing, but I beleive the cell phone behavior of the teens and 20 something set, to completley drop everything and start texting is very rude also....
tp the point that when we go to dinner with my daughter and her husband I request they leave thier phones in the truck...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It must be very frustrating for you all to go out then, because all they are is filled with people whose mannerisms you don't like.
Well, then it's a good thing I don't 'go out' much these days. That's the advantage of being involved and not looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships