Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, there were two rude people in the scenario: The guy and you.

No excuse for the guy's behavior. But, by the same token, it's just rude to have a conversation with someone while texting someone else. Period. End of story.

Hey, I'm prone to check my e-mail or whatever if I'm at a restaurant, and I recognize that enough to try to stop it. But actively texting someone? Yikes.
Then we can conclude that they are both on the same level so there shouldn't be any problem.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???

IMO, that is controlling behavior. Which is particularly nuts if you just meet someone.
Yes it is controlling and you were still rude. Sounds though like you need to learn some cell phone etiquette.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???

IMO, that is controlling behavior. Which is particularly nuts if you just meet someone.

Maybe you should have just went and met up with "people you actually know" instead of being so rude with the people you just met.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM

11,802 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:

Not a good way to make a first impression. Here's a guy who bought you a drink, you thought he was cute enough to join his table, but instead of getting to know him, you'd rather text your friends?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Both of you were wrong.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
This is an informal situation that I'm sure a lot of you aren't personally familiar with. We're all crowded together in close proximity by the bar, and yes we're all chatting (some of us even had our phones on the bar, I had mine in my hand). You don't get more informal than that.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:

Sorry, still rude in my opinion.

If I'm standing in line at the grocery store having a small-talk coversation with the person behind me, I wouldn't answer a text or call that came in. If I was expecting an important call, then I'd excuse myself to answer the phone with "I'm so sorry, I've been waiting for this call and need to take it but you have a good day".

Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Are you physically unable to stop texting for a half an hour at a time? Do you need to text for medical purposes? How do you not understand this?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
If you were having a text conversation, you should have finished it before talking to the guys. Even if I'm just out to dinner with a friend, I turn the sound off on my phone. I'm there to have dinner with him/her and any text messages can wait until I'm done. I assume if I text someone and don't get a response, they are busy and will respond when they can. Personally, I think it is sad if I'm out to eat with a friend and they can't get through the entire meal without having to check their phone-especially if they invited me to join them.

As for this situation, yes, it was rude for him to try to take the phone and want to know who you were talking to, especially since you just met. But since you weren't really that interested in a conversation with him (otherwise you would have devoted more of your attention to him), you should have just thanked him for the drinks and excused yourself to go back to your friends.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
I understand there's a bit of a generational issue going on here. It's pretty common for me to be out with someone who replies to texts. I'm in my 20s. Sometimes if they're texting someone else they'll ask for advice on what to say or text that they're with me and what they're doing. I understand this is difficult for older people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

If I'm standing in line at the grocery store having a small-talk coversation with the person behind me, I wouldn't answer a text or call that came in. If I was expecting an important call, then I'd excuse myself to answer the phone with "I'm so sorry, I've been waiting for this call and need to take it but you have a good day".
That is just crazy, imo. I'm sure 95 percent of the people you're sharing small talk with wouldn't interrupt their conversations for you nor be bothered that you wouldn't for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.