Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Thank you. It's just more crap designed to pressure young women into going along with patriarchy "because after 40, no one is going to want you, so you'd better hurry up and get a man now."

Young women of the world, don't you believe it! Take your time, choose wisely, and don't ever feel like you have to settle because some shart, I mean chart, on the internet implies that your face will fall off at some arbitrary age.

So there.
Bravo!
I find it curious that the single guys on the forum complain that women in their 20's are too into partying and aren't mature enough to be considered as serious marriage partners, but whenever one of these "they're over the hill by 27" threads comes along, the same guys all fall in line and say 25 is when the women are most marriageable.

So much for independent thinking and consistency. :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're completely missing the points of her post. You said it was time to roll things back to arranged marriages. When there were arranged marriages, there was no divorce. Women had to marry whoever they were told to marry, couldn't refuse, and there was no way out. Women got beaten to a bloody pulp, some were killed, by alcoholic or otherwise abusive husbands they couldn't leave. This is what she meant by (White) men benefitted (speaking of the US), and that it wasn't civilized. Get a clue.
Thank you, that's exactly it. And the glory days were for a very small segment of the population and these guys could give a shyte less about anybody else.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,858,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
There's plenty of older men getting young women. It's not uncommon at all to see a 35 year old man with a 25 year old woman. It's been like throughout history. Women have always liked older men (men like younger women).
Most people I know are married to people within a few years of their age. Sure I know people with say a 10 year age difference (which isn't what I am even talking about)but in every case these were people who met each other in person unrelated to online dating. In fact the man I am interested in is 9 years older. However meeting someone in person and falling in love is considerably different than this idea that many men have where they think they can be as disgusting as they want and still find a hot younger women. This just doesn't happened because stats show time and time again that people tend to date and marry people close to them in looks, income, etc. I just don't know many 25 year old women who want 45 year old men unless he is rich and she is a gold digger.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Thank you. It's just more crap designed to pressure young women into going along with patriarchy "because after 40, no one is going to want you, so you'd better hurry up and get a man now."

Young women of the world, don't you believe it! Take your time, choose wisely, and don't ever feel like you have to settle because some shart, I mean chart, on the internet implies that your face will fall off at some arbitrary age.

So there.
I think online dating has made it worse. I just recently stopped online dating because I was running into the severe age bias where guys my age would bypass me and guys my father's age would contact me. In real life I attract guys much younger than me because I look younger than my age and don't have trouble but when guys would see my age they ignored me. Every woman I would talk to who was doing online dating had the same problem because men believe the lie that they can get whatever they want. These same men would be on the site for years complaining about finding a woman but they would have if they weren't chasing women young enough to be their daughters.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,632,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I think online dating has made it worse. I just recently stopped online dating because I was running into the severe age bias where guys my age would bypass me and guys my father's age would contact me. In real life I attract guys much younger than me because I look younger than my age and don't have trouble but when guys would see my age they ignored me. Every woman I would talk to who was doing online dating had the same problem because men believe the lie that they can get whatever they want. These same men would be on the site for years complaining about finding a woman but they would have if they weren't chasing women young enough to be their daughters.
Older men always contacting much younger women, don't take it personally when they write to you.

I used to feel the same way as you, that men my age only wanted younger and that I was being ignored by the age appropriate ones. It turns out I was wrong. The truth was this: I was being ignored by the cream of the crop men my age (the guys I wanted) and meanwhile I myself was ignoring the men a notch or two below those guys who actually were interested in me. It took me a good amount of time to face up to this, but once I did, my online dating choices blew up!

What is your age and marital status? (single, seperated, divorced?)

Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Older men always contacting much younger women, don't take it personally when they write to you.

I used to feel the same way as you, that men my age only wanted younger and that I was being ignored by the age appropriate ones. It turns out I was wrong. The truth was this: I was being ignored by the cream of the crop men my age (the guys I wanted) and meanwhile I myself was ignoring the men a notch or two below those guys who actually were interested in me. It took me a good amount of time to face up to this, but once I did, my online dating choices blew up!

What is your age and marital status? (single, seperated, divorced?)
I am never married and childless and seek the same. I seek men my level and guys slightly below but even these guys online were approaching much younger. The men my age who were seeking me were either extremely obese (which is a problem because I am very active)or men with kids (which is my big dealbreaker). I would prefer a guy who was good looking and in shape (who wouldn't?)but those guys are in short supply so I am open to guys who aren't the hottest men. There is a guy near my house who I am interested in and he's shorter than me, chubby, balding and very shy and not the cutest guy but I like his personality.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,566,053 times
Quote:
I am never married and childless and seek the same. I seek men my level and guys slightly below but even these guys online were approaching much younger. The men my age who were seeking me were either extremely obese (which is a problem because I am very active)or men with kids (which is my big dealbreaker). I would prefer a guy who was good looking and in shape (who wouldn't?)but those guys are in short supply so I am open to guys who aren't the hottest men. There is a guy near my house who I am interested in and he's shorter than me, chubby, balding and very shy and not the cutest guy but I like his personality.
How are your looks? How old are you?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
How are your looks? How old are you?
My looks are well maintained. I workout and eat healthy (big fan of fruits and vegetables). I am a bit older (older than 30, younger than 45)but have men who pursue me in real life.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM

502 posts, read 713,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're completely missing the points of her post. You said it was time to roll things back to arranged marriages. When there were arranged marriages, there was no divorce. Women had to marry whoever they were told to marry, couldn't refuse, and there was no way out. Women got beaten to a bloody pulp, some were killed, by alcoholic or otherwise abusive husbands they couldn't leave. This is what she meant by (White) men benefitted (speaking of the US), and that it wasn't civilized. Get a clue.
I understand that. She was trying to do the usual dodge the issue-at-hand and paint them as a mean person that doesn't care about women, non-whites, and who knows what else. Funny how you women love to bring up the evil alpha male atrocities of generations past and blame guys like me for it, of all people. I made a post expressing the frustrations that many of us young men faced with dating in our younger years and stated my desire for a more traditional, calculated, non-selfish approach to match-making as a remedy. That's it.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:42 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,632,194 times
Quote:
My looks are well maintained. I workout and eat healthy (big fan of fruits and vegetables). I am a bit older (older than 30, younger than 45)but have men who pursue me in real life.
There is a huge range between 30 and 45. Why can't you simply tell us your age? It DOES make a difference in terms of the type of man you seek. We also need to know whether you are fit/slim or overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships