U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,954,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yup, because everyone in your generation was a model citizen while everybody in this generation is a loser.
Oh......soooo not. There have always been and will always BE losers, from every generation. Hey, we thought THEY were losers, too! No excuses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM

25,711 posts, read 37,565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well of course they do! If they actually move out on their own, all of their "spending" money will be eaten up in BILLS!! What they don't realize is....most of us were so THRILLED to actually be making enough money to say, "Thank gawd! There was enough money to pay ALL of the bills this month, and I had enough for Top Ramen, too!!"

It's laughable that so many of these young adults really think it was so very much better/easier when their parents were growing up. Today's kids can't support themselves, because "they won't have any play money!" In MY day, you didn't have money to play with, because you were busy supporting yourself. It was a price you were willing to pay for independence. Besides, working those 2-3 jobs, who had time to play, anyway!? LOL
"Today's kids" don't have as many entry-level employment opportunities and are dealing with 30-40 years of inflation which has brought the COL in a lot of areas to levels where even a job out of college won't be enough to support themselves. I live in DC and good luck getting a safe place for $800 and under here. You can't even get first, second, and third jobs because there are hundreds lined up for them in most places.

I'm just sick of old fogeys thinking that we are wimps when they don't have a clue of what young adults who want to contribute to society are up against.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,166,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
What do you do for a living? I'm a pediatric nurse.
Well, with all the things you've done, you're not 25. I doubt you'd have all that under your belt at 25. Also, kiss the ground that you're in the health professions in today's economy.

I'm trying to piece together numbers here. BSN? Minimum 22. Or community college? Only 2 years for a nursing certificate. How long and when did you model? How long and when did you tend bar? No need to know. You're just very judgmental of a kid whose trying to do his best at getting his footing.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 08-20-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh......soooo not. There have always been and will always BE losers, from every generation. Hey, we thought THEY were losers, too! No excuses!
America has this major uptightness with the age at which people live home. In an expensive urban area in the West, ALL of my friends who were doing law school right after college (that means, 22-26, as you know) lived at home. ALL of them did that ... male, female, rich, poor, conservative, liberal ...

After law school was over, they moved out, bought houses, got married, etc. By 30, they were on their way.

My Dad was the last of numerous kids across a wide age range, so I have aunts/uncles AND therefore cousins that are much older than me. I commuted to college from home. One of my cousins from an older uncle, a multi-divorced off-the-strip Vegas cocktail bar seat-warmer with a cigarette going type, was over at our house. She offered the opinion that "when my kids hit 18, their ass is out the door." I told her "glad you feel that way, less competition for the rest of us."

Sometimes, a little extra help, and a little bit more time at home, sees your kids quite a bit further along.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,448,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, with all the things you've done, you're not 25. I doubt you'd have all that under your belt at 25. Also, kiss the ground that you're in the health professions in today's economy.
I'm 21 and I'll pass on kissing the ground.

I'm unsure or why I can't be 25 because I've done beauty pageants, modeling, babysitting, and bartending as beauty pageants, modeling, and babysitting are often done by teens and younger. Unless you were talking about being a nurse by 'all the things you've done' and even then there are many nurses under 25.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I'm 21 and I'll pass on kissing the ground.

I'm unsure or why I can't be 25 because I've done beauty pageants, modeling, babysitting, and bartending as beauty pageants, modeling, and babysitting are often done by teens and younger. Unless you were talking about being a nurse by 'all the things you've done' and even then there are many nurses under 25.
You don't have a BSN then because it doesn't chronologically add up. And you have your own house because of the pageants and modeling, as you explained, which probably add to your arrogance. You certainly can't expect most people to have a house at 21, much less afford rent unless it's with a group of people before the age that they typically finish college. Snag a doctor, then, but with med school, residencies and whatnot, he'll be at least 30.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You don't have a BSN then because it doesn't chronologically add up. And you have your own house because of the pageants and modeling, as you explained, which probably add to your arrogance. You certainly can't expect most people to have a house at 21, much less afford rent unless it's with a group of people before the age that they typically finish college. Snag a doctor, then, but with med school, residencies and whatnot, he'll be at least 30.
I do have a BSN.

My state has dual enrollment meaning during my junior/senior year I took college classes so I graduated high school with a Diploma and an Associate of Science. It does chronologically add up seeing as being academically promoted means graduating at 17 and the 4 years it took me to get my BSN equals 21.

Really unsure why you're telling me I certainly can't expect most people to have a house at 21 when nowhere did I state, suggest, or imply I expect most people to have a house at 21. Stating 'I only date men who have their own place as I have my own place' to me isn't placing expectations on others much less most people of a certain age range. No different than to me a guy saying 'I don't fat gals as I'm fit' to me isn't placing expectations on most gals to be fit.

Bit curious as to what arrogance unless to you not wanting to date a guy in his early 20s means you're arrogant.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I do have a BSN.

My state has dual enrollment meaning during my junior/senior year I took college classes so I graduated high school with a Diploma and an Associate of Science. It does chronologically add up seeing as being academically promoted means graduating at 17 and the 4 years it took me to get my BSN equals 21.

Nowhere did I state, suggest, or imply I expect most people to have a house at 21. Stating 'I only date men who have their own place as I have my own place' to me isn't placing expectations on others much less most people of a certain age range. No different than to me a guy saying 'I don't fat gals as I'm fit' to me isn't placing expectations on most gals to be fit.

Bit curious as to what arrogance unless to you not wanting to date a guy in his early 20s means you're arrogant.
Never mind. You don't have that many years of work experience. Nurses who just finished BSNs don't buy houses. Sounds like money from other sources. I knew a chick with a French degree from Berkeley who owned a house because her grandmother gave it to her. Family money. Ok, enough of a volley, babe, let's let other people advise the OP, since it sounds like you would automatically exclude him and he should stay away from girls like you.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Never mind. You don't have that many years of work experience. Nurses who just finished BSNs don't buy houses. Sounds like money from other sources. I knew a chick with a French degree from Berkeley who owned a house because her grandmother gave it to her. Family money. Ok, enough of a volley, babe, let's let other people advise the OP, since it sounds like you would automatically exclude him and he should stay away from girls like you.
Amusing evasion on answering where is my arrogance or where I stated I expect most people to own a house at 21.

I have plenty of years of work experience from various jobs I've held, 3 years of CNA, and 3 years as a registered nurse. Again you don't know me so perhaps it's best suited to not dictate who I am and what I'd do such as what I'd do with a guy, what age I am, what education I have, or what work experience I have. The only thing you've been correct on is that the money to purchase my home is money from other sources and that's likely only because I've made it clear I made far more money on the various jobs I've had before nursing.

I don't see where the OP is asking for advice I do see he's asking whether you'd date a guy in his early 20s who lives at home and it seems like a gal not wanting to date a guy who lives at home is a personal issue to you.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

29,741 posts, read 32,783,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
"Today's kids" don't have as many entry-level employment opportunities and are dealing with 30-40 years of inflation which has brought the COL in a lot of areas to levels where even a job out of college won't be enough to support themselves. I live in DC and good luck getting a safe place for $800 and under here. You can't even get first, second, and third jobs because there are hundreds lined up for them in most places.

I'm just sick of old fogies thinking that we are wimps when they don't have a clue of what young adults who want to contribute to society are up against.
The old fogies forget that college tuition has skyrocketed in the last 30 years far beyond the general rate of inflation. And the jobs picture for those without college degrees is pretty bleak. A generation ago, the writing was on the wall for those without college degrees, but decent paying jobs for those without college were still possible. Nowadays for those without a college degree it's low wage, no benefit, deed end, part time jobs. Exceptions? Sure...but not many and fewer all the time.

Public transportation, which was at least a little bit more viable a generation ago, is also not an option for most.

Then there are health insurance costs, which have been inflated beyond the pale.

Housing costs in many cities with good paying jobs are indeed much more inflated than they were a generation ago.

I am not saying that some of today's young folks aren't coddled or spoiled or entitled...but not as much as the old folks make them out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships