U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,166,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Amusing evasion on answering where is my arrogance or where I stated I expect most people to own a house at 21.

I have plenty of years of work experience from various jobs I've held, 3 years of CNA, and 3 years as a registered nurse. Again you don't know me so perhaps it's best suited to not dictate who I am and what I'd do such as what I'd do with a guy, what age I am, what education I have, or what work experience I have. The only thing you've been correct on is that the money to purchase my home is money from other sources and that's likely only because I've made it clear I made far more money on the various jobs I've had before nursing.

I don't see where the OP is asking for advice I do see he's asking whether you'd date a guy in his early 20s who lives at home and it seems like a gal not wanting to date a guy who lives at home is a personal issue to you.
So, you gained 3 years of CNA and 3 years of RN experience by 21. That means you were racking up hours at age 15.

Look, hon. There are very few Jill St. Johns in this world. (She could be your grandmother). But she was a Hollywood actress who had an IQ of 162 and was admitted to UCLA at 14 or 15. You're not that person. Are we done?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,448,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, you gained 3 years of CNA and 3 years of RN experience by 21. That means you were racking up hours at age 15.

Look, hon. There are very few Jill St. Johns in this world. (She could be your grandmother). But she was a Hollywood actress who had an IQ of 162 and was admitted to UCLA at 14 or 15. You're not that person. Are we done?
No it means I was racking up hours when I was 18 as I graduated highschool at 17 with a Diploma and an Associates of Science.

In my state an Associates of Science qualifies you to take the NCLEX-RN and it takes 150 hours to be a CNA I had to wait a year until I was 18 to become a RN because of the age requirement and during that year I became a CNA and volunteered. In my volunteer work I made connection so right after I took the NCLEX-RN I had two jobs lined up as an RN and CNA.

As for 'are we done' I'm curious as to where is my arrogance or where I stated I expect most people to own a house at 21.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM

33,278 posts, read 39,271,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'm 22 (23 in 4 months), I work a for a major grocery retailer in FL (guess who?) and am planning to work into management there (Job security, Financial security, stock options, retirement plans, 401k, etc)

As of right now though, I am earning $9.15 an hour and I work an average of 34 hours a week and I average about $280 (ranging between $250-$320) a week take home pay.

However, even though I live at home, I have a car payment, pay my own car insurance, groceries, gas, cell phone, and miscellaneous expenses so my leftover money is not enough for me to even have roommates. I'm left over with around $200 a month

So my question for young women is this. If you meet a guy who is about my age, but works, has career plans, but lives at home due to lack of money, would you still date him? Or would you only date men who have their own place or roommates?

I ask this question because I've been told that even at my age, as long as I'm living at home, nobody will date me
Oh what a load of malarkey. You're 22 for God's sake. I didn't move out until I was 23 - who cares? You're still young enough to be on your parents health insurance! Anyone that tells you that has an agenda. Ignore them.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'm trying to get a 2nd job so I can get an apartment. What sucks is usually that remaining $200 a month goes to "help" my mom with the utility bills she likes to blow off every month
You pay your mom $200 a month for utilities? Yikes! How big is the house??

I can see paying something for utilities, but that seems high!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Oh good lord, no living at home - especially in this economy - is not weird or offputting when you are in your early 20s. I'm 36, and this is something people I know are dealing with. It's a little freaky to be living at home at my age, and I'm watching a few of my friends and acquaintances struggle with it. But at 22 this is called normal. Check back when your 30 and living in your mom's basement, lol
Exactly.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 PM

28,234 posts, read 33,552,522 times
Yes. But I am 34. Haha. In your 20s it is understandable.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM

17,868 posts, read 19,569,556 times
Hell I did this in my mid-late 20s. My dad had to talk me into it because he didn't want me to dip too much into my savings to stay where I was.

yeah, I was living with my old man, but he gave me a section of the house to myself, just when I was able to find work, to help out with things. Sometimes I would take on 3 jobs to make ends meet, but hell I figured it would build character and show that I wasn't sitting on my ass when I had interviews.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,954,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
America has this major uptightness with the age at which people live home. In an expensive urban area in the West, ALL of my friends who were doing law school right after college (that means, 22-26, as you know) lived at home. ALL of them did that ... male, female, rich, poor, conservative, liberal ...

After law school was over, they moved out, bought houses, got married, etc. By 30, they were on their way.

My Dad was the last of numerous kids across a wide age range, so I have aunts/uncles AND therefore cousins that are much older than me. I commuted to college from home. One of my cousins from an older uncle, a multi-divorced off-the-strip Vegas cocktail bar seat-warmer with a cigarette going type, was over at our house. She offered the opinion that "when my kids hit 18, their ass is out the door." I told her "glad you feel that way, less competition for the rest of us."

Sometimes, a little extra help, and a little bit more time at home, sees your kids quite a bit further along.
I have absolutely NO issue with grown children living with their parents....as LONG as they're contributing to the upkeep of the household and to the living expenses. If grown children can behave as polite, contributing ADULTS, why should there be a problem? You've misread my comments.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,954,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
"Today's kids" don't have as many entry-level employment opportunities and are dealing with 30-40 years of inflation which has brought the COL in a lot of areas to levels where even a job out of college won't be enough to support themselves. I live in DC and good luck getting a safe place for $800 and under here. You can't even get first, second, and third jobs because there are hundreds lined up for them in most places.

I'm just sick of old fogeys thinking that we are wimps when they don't have a clue of what young adults who want to contribute to society are up against.
Although I agree that times are tough and jobs aren't as plentiful as we'd all like them to be....trust me, some of us "old fogeys" are just as sick as some of you youngsters you think you actually KNOW what it was like when we were your age. You have no idea....none whatsoever. You have no idea how many ummm shall we say, "luxuries" we went without in order to make ends meet. Oh, you might have a small group of "fogeys" who have shared information with you, but really, you have NO idea the things many of us went without.

You can't possibly imagine, because so many of the young people out there don't even realize that you CAN go without so many of the things you THINK you need. No, you really have no idea, what it's like to be happy that you got 4 hrs of sleep....not because you couldn't FALL asleep, but because you were working or traveling to and from work, for all but 4 hrs in a day. Again...no, you have no idea, because too many young people have lived such lives of leisure and priviledge.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 PM

8,010 posts, read 7,436,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Although I agree that times are tough and jobs aren't as plentiful as we'd all like them to be....trust me, some of us "old fogeys" are just as sick as some of you youngsters you think you actually KNOW what it was like when we were your age. You have no idea....none whatsoever. You have no idea how many ummm shall we say, "luxuries" we went without in order to make ends meet. Oh, you might have a small group of "fogeys" who have shared information with you, but really, you have NO idea the things many of us went without.

You can't possibly imagine, because so many of the young people out there don't even realize that you CAN go without so many of the things you THINK you need. No, you really have no idea, what it's like to be happy that you got 4 hrs of sleep....not because you couldn't FALL asleep, but because you were working or traveling to and from work, for all but 4 hrs in a day. Again...no, you have no idea, because too many young people have lived such lives of leisure and priviledge.
At this point I'm starting to detect some undeserved jealousy. I'm pretty sure not everyone in your generation had this work schedule similar to how not everyone in our generation are a bunch of ne'er do-wells who sit on our butts playing video games. Besides you've derailed this thread enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships