Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 (23 in 4 months), I work a for a major grocery retailer in FL (guess who?) and am planning to work into management there (Job security, Financial security, stock options, retirement plans, 401k, etc)

As of right now though, I am earning $9.15 an hour and I work an average of 34 hours a week and I average about $280 (ranging between $250-$320) a week take home pay.

However, even though I live at home, I have a car payment, pay my own car insurance, groceries, gas, cell phone, and miscellaneous expenses so my leftover money is not enough for me to even have roommates. I'm left over with around $200 a month

So my question for young women is this. If you meet a guy who is about my age, but works, has career plans, but lives at home due to lack of money, would you still date him? Or would you only date men who have their own place or roommates?

I ask this question because I've been told that even at my age, as long as I'm living at home, nobody will date me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
I don't know if women will date you or not but I know a ton of people your age that live at home. You are not the exception. Most that don't live at home is because they are away for college. Your goal should be to save as much money as possible since you are living at home.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I don't know if women will date you or not but I know a ton of people your age that live at home. You are not the exception. Most that don't live at home is because they are away for college. Your goal should be to save as much money as possible since you are living at home.
I'm trying to get a 2nd job so I can get an apartment. What sucks is usually that remaining $200 a month goes to "help" my mom with the utility bills she likes to blow off every month

Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Living at home doesn't get a bit weird until you're like 25+, and even then it may still be alright if you're at home for a reason (such as attending grad school and want to save money on rent, taking care of a sick parent, saving money to buy a house, etc). I know a fair share of people who were 27-29 who lived at home during law school to save money (instead of paying $800-1000 a month for rent) and I even have a 30 year old friend who moved back home for pharmacy school.

Most chicks probably won't mind at all that much as long as you're working and/or going to school. However, at your age, you really shouldn't be getting into anything serious anyway.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 08-19-2012 at 01:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Oh good lord, no living at home - especially in this economy - is not weird or offputting when you are in your early 20s. I'm 36, and this is something people I know are dealing with. It's a little freaky to be living at home at my age, and I'm watching a few of my friends and acquaintances struggle with it. But at 22 this is called normal. Check back when your 30 and living in your mom's basement, lol

Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
I've never dated someone in their early 20s, even when I was in my early 20s (I'm 26 now), and can't say that isn't part of the reason.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with living with your parents at that age and stage of your life, just not for me.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'm 22 ...earning $9.15 an hour and I work an average of 34 hours a week ...I live at home...
Because you have no choice but to live at home.

Find a better job. That might require leaving Florida.
Dating is the LEAST of your concerns.

College? Army? Something...

Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
I don't think a person your age is going to have problems dating you, just because you're living at home. What would be "off-putting" to a sensible woman though, is your attitude about "helping your mom with the utility bills that she seems to blow off". You're sharing a household with someone. It is the responsible thing to do, to at least help with the utility bills! If I was your age, you were working and living at home, and you were not contributing financially to the household, THAT would be a major turnoff. You're not "helping" your mom, you're contributing to the living expenses. Why should you get off without paying anything?

I guess I just don't get the mentality of some of the "adults" who live at home with their parents. They live there for free and then act like THEY are helping their parents out by paying out a little bit of their income, for household expenses.

Phrases like:

I help out with groceries.
I do my own laundry and help wash dishes.
I help with utilities when they can't pay them... etc.

These are all statements made by immature adults. Forget that you're her child, for just a minute, because in reality, you are simply just another human being over the age of 18. She is obligated in no way, shape or form, to allow you to live in her home. Try to look at it from an "adult's" point of view. She is your roommate. You are living in her house and ONLY helping her out with the utilities (when she BLOWS them off). If you were in HER shoes, just how fair do you think that would be?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
You can't live on $9.15 an hour and you showed that with your own calculations of what you pay out each month for car, ins, cell, etc. I think you shouldn't be depending on the "management program" at your grocery store ---- I somehow doubt they make much more than you do (even though they may get better benefits than you).

At your age, you have the world at your feet and can do anything. I would look into college and then grad school so by the time you're 30, you can actually have a career and a life. Forget about "dating" for now.... there will always be people around to date. Right now, you have to concentrate on YOU and getting your life in order.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
The majority of people I know - from all walks - were living at home with their parents in their early 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships