Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Very nice list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't mean to be negative as most on that list I usually apply to the positive aspects but since this is the relationship forum where sometimes people get cheated on or dumped would those two apply in that case?

dumper~"honey I am leaving you for your best friend"
dumpy~ " oh cool a change, I look forward to it even though I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you and my heart is crushed I am in joy not anger"
If a relationship ends, there must be some reason for it ending. So looking at the positive, in the long run, would still apply.

I have a friend who is always telling me "everything happens for a reason." His way of looking at the bright side of what, on the surface, might seem a bad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,027 times
Good post! Highlights a few things I excel in and a few things I could get better at. Very enlightening! Thank you!!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Good post! Highlights a few things I excel in and a few things I could get better at. Very enlightening! Thank you!!
There's room for improvement in all of us

I just think it really behooves some of the posters here to be aware of what they are doing that is keeping them unsuccessful in life and love

Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Got this on my Facebook page this morning and think it could be very valuable info for some here in light of some of the recent threads and posts I've noticed

Successful people Unsuccessful people:

Have a sense of gratitude Have a sense of entitlement

Forgive others Hold grudges (seek revenge)

Accept all responsibility Blame others for their failures (especially the opposite gender)
for their failures

Give other people credit Take all the credit of their victories
for their victories

Compliment Criticize

Talk about ideas Talk about people

Want others to succeed
secretly want others to fail and celebrate when they do

Share information Hoard information and data
and data

Set goals and develop Never set goals
life plans

Embrace change Fear change

Exude joy Exude anger

Continuously learn Think they know it all

Have empathy for the pain of others Laugh when others are hurting

Operate from a Operate from a transactional perspective
transformational perspective
The right-hand list reads a bit like qualities of a sociopath, and we know that in our culture, especially corporate culture, sociopaths are rewarded. So I don't know how that fits in. I guess it means that aspects of our culture are dysfunctional. I think it's idealistic, or maybe simplistic (however inspiring), to think that the qualities on the left will lead to "success", however that is defined. If defined, at least in part, as economic success, then qualities like drive and dedication should be on the list. How is success defined for the purposes of this list?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I would say that the odd example of a highly successful right column person is more an example of an exception to the rule.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The right-hand list reads a bit like qualities of a sociopath, and we know that in our culture, especially corporate culture, sociopaths are rewarded. So I don't know how that fits in. I guess it means that aspects of our culture are dysfunctional.
I don't quite agree my friend.

In SOME places in corporate America I guess that could be true. But in many places it is not true that "sociopaths" are rewarded.

I have watched my husband thrive and succeed in very difficult corporate jobs while maintaining every quality on the "success" side of that list. And he is not the only one I know who has done so.

While it is true that many of the things on the "unsuccessful" side of the list are behaviors exhibited by sociopaths, they are also behaviors that are exhibited by just the plain old emotionally immature among us.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
This is a time to be angry. There is a time to embrace change, there is a time to make your case. Knowing when is also important to succes.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
This is a time to be angry. There is a time to embrace change, there is a time to make your case. Knowing when it also important to succes.
Agreed!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
L-M: True, certainly. I wasn't saying that only sociopaths get ahead. And it's definitely nice to know that nice guys are among those who finish first. Your hubby sounds great.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
L-M: True, certainly. I wasn't saying that only sociopaths get ahead. And it's definitely nice to know that nice guys are among those who finish first. Your hubby sounds great.
Truly, my husband is a man among men - though he is so humble he would upset with me for declaring him as such!

He is also the greatest love of my life - my teacher, my lover, my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships