Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Frankly, there is nothing in life that I can honestly say I am 100% sure of. As I said before, having such a gift would imply that a person was psychic. I don't believe you can ever be that sure.
Very true. We can think we are 100% sure, but at some point, we are taking some of what we believe to be true on faith. It may be educated faith, based on observed behavior, but it is still faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Can you really think that you are all that much different than the fifty percent of the population who divorce? You are smarter, more perceptive, you and your spouse are that much more idealistic? God immunes you from such tragedy? God's special child?
First of all get your facts straight.

50% of marriages do not fail. That was recently discussed here. It has been refuted several times. Are Marriage Statistics Divorced from Reality? - TIME

In fact the trend towards divorce has been trending down from the 70s numbers.

You can't take a years worth of marriages rate vs. the rate of divorces for same year, to arrive at that conclusion.

You've made that statement twice, both times it is an inaccurate statement.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
I think this would be better stated as:

Ladies, if YOU had maybe a million and a half in savings and met a wonderful man with only a hundred thou, would YOU ask for a prenup?

Would your answer change if you were both in your forties and he had already had a few failed marriages?

By the way, are people here aware that in England there are more people living together without marriage than not? The big trend there is that most do NOT marry, even with kids.
Yeah, but here in the U.S.A., even if you do that, you are still not immune from the whole thing where the courts can still recognize an unmarried couple as being the equivalent of a "common-law marriage" (I believe that is the technical term for that). So not being married to someone (unfortunately) still isn't a foolproof defense to prevent them from being able to still legally take you to the cleaners...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Clarified language

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
To whomever left me this anonymous rep:

Your posts sound very niave.

I'm not naive, I'm realistic.
If I didn't feel like I could truly trust the person with my life and my finances, I wouldn't get married. There is no need for a prenup if there is no marriage.

Marriage is not a requirement in life. I'm not sure why some are so hung up on this.
I did not leave you that rep, but I agree with it's spirit. I think if a person experiences life and gets to know enough people he or she learns that there are intangibles in human nature that you cannot be sure of, that you think you know someone and then they throw you a zinger. Some people are just bored with their lives, never complain, but all of a sudden take a surprising turn. Paul Gauguin had a nice lucrative life, and shocked everyone by leaving for Tahiti. Not all of us are that predictable.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Let' see how I'm doing:

#1 - Nope, we have 1 joint checking and MM account
#2 - Nope, all our accounts are joint
#3 - Nope, other than our 401K accounts all assets and funds are joint
#4 - Nope, never even thought about it

Damn, Mr. UNC4Me and I have been doing it wrong for 30+ years. Don't know how we've survived so long without the appropriate level of financial mistrust and paranoia necessary for a successful marriage.
Hey, fifty percent of marriages stay together, too. Hard work, helping and respecting each other, but also some luck are involved. It is the 'luck' aspect that the prenup tries to shelter us from.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Frankly, there is nothing in life that I can honestly say I am 100% sure of. As I said before, having such a gift would imply that a person was psychic. I don't believe you can ever be that sure.
Okay, point taken. Even so, I'd have to be extremely certain.
I like to think most people aren't schmucks being that I haven't run into too many in my lifetime. I just think some people take marriage too lightly, and believe a prenup is going to protect them. That isn't always the case so it's just better to be certain this is the person you want to share your heart and your money with.

If someone questions my character enough to ask me to sign a prenup, i'ts my opinion they are making a poor choice. You shouldn't have to question something like that in the person you want to spend your life with. Maybe this is why the divorce rate is what it is.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
First of all get your facts straight.

50% of marriages do not fail. That was recently discussed here. It has been refuted several times. Are Marriage Statistics Divorced from Reality? - TIME

In fact the trend towards divorce has been trending down from the 70s numbers.

You can't take a years worth of marriages rate vs. the rate of divorces for same year, to arrive at that conclusion.

You've made that statement twice, both times it is an inaccurate statement.
I am not looking up the stats for this argument and will keep using them, thank you. I'm not looking them up because, frankly, even if the figures were forty/sixty it would not influence my opinions on this issue. Prenups are good.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Yeah, but here in the U.S.A., even if you do that, you are still not immune from the whole thing where the courts can still recognize an unmarried couple as being the equivalent of a "common-law marriage" (I believe that is the technical term for that). So not being married to someone (unfortunately) still isn't a foolproof defense to prevent them from being able to still legally take you to the cleaners...
I have heard this too, though I don't know the legalities of the issues one would face. However, I wouldn't share my household with someone I am not married to either (with the exception of dependent children of course).

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Okay, point taken. Even so, I'd have to be extremely certain.
I like to think most people aren't schmucks being that I haven't run into too many in my lifetime. I just think some people take marriage too lightly, and believe a prenup is going to protect them. That isn't always the case so it's just better to be certain this is the person you want to share your heart and your money with.

If someone questions my character enough to ask me to sign a prenup, i'ts my opinion they are making a poor choice. You shouldn't have to question something like that in the person you want to spend your life with. Maybe this is why the divorce rate is what it is.
I could marry you feeling 100% confident I am making the right decision, and 100% confident you are fully committed. Then, three years later, something happens which rocks the boat, things degenerate. We seek counseling, work hard, try new things, but fail. Divorce is filed. Neither of us ever expected it to happen when we got engaged. We were certain without a doubt we would be fine. Yet, here we are divorced.

So both of us were fully committed, fully confident in our decision, without any fears or signs that we may be making a poor decision. Heck, maybe it wasn't a poor decision at the time. Yet, as circumstances happened, it didn't work out anyway.

There are no guarantees in life other than taxes and death.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am not looking up the stats for this argument and will keep using them, thank you. I'm not looking them up because, frankly, even if the figures were forty/sixty it would not influence my opinions on this issue. Prenups are good.
Don't let the facts get in the way of good spin.

(PS, whether or not prenups are good has nothing to do with the stats. 5% of marriages could end in divorce and a prenup still makes reasonable insurance.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships