Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I hear you on this point. I actually posted a article in the Northern VA forum about how a lot of moms in the DC area are doing the math and deciding the second income that they made is not really helping them get ahead financially at the opportunity cost of time with the kids and the stress of having a FT job in addition to maintaining a household. Daycare pricing was the biggest factor in their decisions.
It really is a problem. Another issue that arises is the consequences of taking yourself out of the job market for too long. One of my colleagues stayed home with the kids for ~4-5years and he says it pretty much killed the trajectory of his career, although he feels it was worth it. He's trying to get it back on track now, but he went from a lab head with 20 scientists under him to working a position outside his desired area (chemistry to biology).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
All thoughts welcomed
Sign it if its about the love

Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Women,

If you were dating a nice RICH man and later on along the road you talked about marriage and he asked for you to sign a prenup...would you do it?
They will say no because they are mostly golddiggers but I bet they would ask him to sign one if they were rich and he wasn't

Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 PM

105 posts, read 199,820 times
I've got no problems with them.

They're not necessarily pessimistic, but are a reflection of society right now. When you consider the average age of first marriage and the divorce rate, it's a sound financial decision. People are marrying later in life, and have more assets coming into marriage.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
When I got married - it was for life. No prenup needed. I had more assets going into the marriage but it was still fairly insignificant. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were a Rockefeller or a Hilton - but as I'm not - a prenup never even crossed my mind. My parents were happily married until my father passed away. My husband's parents have been happily married for over 40 years. We don't take marriage lightly.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Solution to the baby argument:

You better make sure you save enough money to support your half for the next 2 yrs you anticipate taking off. Or simply dont enter into a new agreement that suppose to be 50/50.if this truly is a 50/50 situation, and its OUR baby, you will have no problem with this. Otherwise you simply aren't in the position to do this
You should never be a parent. I can't even believe a parent would view things this way.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:13 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When I got married - it was for life. No prenup needed. I had more assets going into the marriage but it was still fairly insignificant. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were a Rockefeller or a Hilton - but as I'm not - a prenup never even crossed my mind. My parents were happily married until my father passed away. My husband's parents have been happily married for over 40 years. We don't take marriage lightly.
Many people don't take marriage lightly. Many of them end up going through divorce nevertheless.

I'd say people who get prenups take marriage very, very seriously.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
No one marries, thinking it is a short term deal. Most intend to make it a lifetime. No one marrys hoping to some day divorce. Most people don't

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Many people don't take marriage lightly. Many of them end up going through divorce nevertheless.

I'd say people who get prenups take marriage very, very seriously.
Well, you and I see things differently. My husband and I see things the same way. That's what matters to me.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
In my family experiences, prenups are essential if one has assets. One example is that my aunt's second husband tried taking her house, despite signing a prenup that promised she retain her home. She purchased it prior to their marriage and they weren't married that long, since he turned out to be a womanizing cokehead. He basically tried to clean her out and even turned her own children against her. They somehow still blame her for the dissolution of the marriage. But he's very manipulative. Anyway, he would've cleaned her out had it not been for that prenup.

I have significant assets and am in my early 30s. It's taken A LOT of sacrifices for me to accumulate all that I have, so there is absolutely no way I will gamble away what I've acquired through hard work. Most people today believe in instant gratification; I do not, which is why I have what I have. So I'll be d@mned if I'm going to let some guy take what I have. I would hope that I make a good choice when selecting a husband, but one can never be too sure. I don't have any intention of divorcing when I finally do find the right person, but it's been hard enough to find someone decent to date the past few years, so it's also hard to believe that the person I select will be a decent husband until death do we part. I certainly hope I select one of the few great ones, but there are no guarantees in life. Besides, couples I thought would never split wound up splitting in 5 years or less. I'm definitely getting an insurance policy known as a prenup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships