Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Women,

If you were dating a nice RICH man and later on along the road you talked about marriage and he asked for you to sign a prenup...would you do it?

Nope, I've never walked out of a marriage with more than I had when I went into it but I don't work outisde of our home now so I would ask for enough to get me through for about six months to get my own place and find a job. I think that is reasonable but nothing more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
you dont, you establish merely the guideline of community property. as a result , those assets will be enforced by the terms of the contract
Can you give some specific examples of what you mean? Guideline of community property is too vague. eta: are you meaning something like an inheritance?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I get your point and agree, but I don't like the example. The Camaro has collector's item potential at least, like the 2000s Ford Thunderbird. You should have picked a safer example like a Camry.
Here's the thing about that... 30 years from now people will still be competing for and restoring the same model years that they are now. There are no more muscle cars.

Alas, I digress...

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

601 posts, read 758,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Can you give some specific examples of what you mean? Guideline of community property is too vague. eta: are you meaning something like an inheritance?
Possibly yes. if its in the form of an estate. If you buys house, car, shares etc. those are community property and enforceable per contract guidelines.

Note: you can liquidate community property, but the only option is to spend it right away. no holding back or moving the value. just spend it

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
better safe then sorry, right?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Same here. I know some posters have said "if she asks for money I'd give it to her..."
No farking way. That is demeaning....she has to ASK for money to buy things needed for herself and/or the baby when she is out of work due to having a baby that you both planned on having? Yeah, that would not fly with me AT ALL.
[Referring to bolded portion above.]

Just curious, are we talking about a woman who has a baby, who is also temporarily out of work for a fixed time period (i.e., on paid maternity leave, for example), or a woman who has left the workplace indefinitely until further notice to raise a baby full-time? (I guess I was assuming the former when I had posted earlier in the thread about it, because my employer has things like FMLA with paid maternity leave option? In this case, the mother would be not working for a given period of time, but also compensated while on paid leave -- so a wife and a husband could, in theory as I believe as mentioned by another poster, split the costs for the baby 50-50, while still maintaining separate accounts, yes?)

ETA: The whole thing about a future hypothetical wife asking for additional funds / money would potentially arise if her account funds were insufficient for whatever reason, for her portion of the child care costs, naturally. "Asking" is therefore in no way meant to be demeaning, to her -- I operate the same exact way, for taking care of my non-spousal, immediate family members, who are financially dependent, on me -- if they need additional money, I give it to them, with no problems at all. (At the same time, in my case, I am also making *all* household payments for them, with the only exceptions being their own specific food costs, gasoline, and car insurance fees, which they cover. Their financial resources are very limited, so they pay as much as they can to those costs, and I pay everything else, including monthly mortgage, all utilities, cable TV, water bill, etc. So I don't see why the same type of arrangement, could not also work for a potential future spouse...as in, she would pay certain fixed costs every month, such as say food for example, and I would cover all other expenses. Easy long-term solution with minimal hassle, complications, or micromanagement needed, in MHO )

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-21-2012 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Clarifications

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Nope. I wouldn't sign a pre-nup for anyone. It's not about the money. It's about the implication that he doesn't know me well enough to marry me if he thinks I'd be a vindictive, greedy witch if the marriage were to fail.
you might not be, your greedy ass lawyer will be. trust me. The lawyer will tell you what to do and chances are you will listen since the incentives state you should listen.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Possibly yes. if its in the form of an estate. If you buys house, car, shares etc. those are community property and enforceable per contract guidelines.

Note: you can liquidate community property, but the only option is to spend it right away. no holding back or moving the value. just spend it
If you both buy a home, car, etc while married I don't see how you would not have to split it with a spouse and I don't see any wo/man signing any kind of agreement before a marriage that would allow something like that to happen. For example, say you have some joe schmoe job for 90k/yr and she has some plain jane job for 75k/yr. You buy a home together for $500-600k and live in it for 10 years to acquire equity, are you saying there is a pre-nup to give you that home upon a divorce? Unless you marry a complete moron I don't understand how something like that could work.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
A million years ago I had a 1970-something Camaro that previously own by a mechanic- magenta color, heartbeat with wavy lines scripted on both doors in pink, tinted windows, red steering wheel, and the horn was a siren. The thing was ridiculous. I moved into NYC for awhile and the city beat the crap out of that poor car. It was sweet, tho.
NYC is no place for a ride like that. Camaros need some open road to be done proper. In June, I rented a 2011 Camaro SS for my birthday and drove it from Louisville to Charlotte and back Doing 80-85 (70 mph on I-75) in most of KY and TN, THAT, my friend, was living the dream.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
NYC is no place for a ride like that. Camaros need some open road to be done proper. In June, I rented a 2011 Camaro SS for my birthday and drove it from Louisville to Charlotte and back Doing 80-85 (70 mph on I-75) in most of KY and TN, THAT, my friend, was living the dream.

Eh. I drove a 2013 Mustang Boss 302 last week. THAT is "living the dream" for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships