Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times

Advertisements

As I prepare myself to pay off my alimony to my ex-husband who...well let's not re-live the past. Usher's defeated expression in the following ad is telling...as he is ordered by a court to re-open his EX-wife's Sax 5th avenue credit card.

Usher ordered to reopen ex-wife's credit card by custody case judge | Mail Online

There are ppl in the forum lamenting singledom...hood...whatever. I say if you have any money at all...think about it before you say "I do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM

41 posts, read 39,790 times
I feel so much better about myself after reading the threads on this forum.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
When it comes right down to it, a judge can make you do what you are willing to do on your own. You can't get blood out of a turnip and a judge can't make you don anything you don't want to do. If he took a leave of absence and quite work for a year, I don't think there is anything they could do except put him in jail and he won't be making any money in jail.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
Lets try and remember that judges are supposed to be fair...most of them take their jobs very seriously and can only make findings under the law...it's the law that may need changing, not necessarily those who work with it.

The judge will also know details we do not.

They don't take kindly on someone who is trying to cry poor and shirk their responsibilites.

OP I agree totally with you...too many people think "love" is all they need when they enter marriage...they then expect a third party to sort it all out for them afterwards.

If you marry someone you are becoming ONE LEGAL ENTITY in the eyes of the law. You are literally two halves of the whole...therefore, she gets half your money and vice versa. It's part of the deal. If you don't want to hand him/her your cash card, DON'T GET MARRIED.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I want a relationship. I don't necessarily want to get married.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Don't be scared. You need to know yourself. That's it.

If you are honest with yourself about what you want and, more importantly, what you DON'T want, you will do a better job of choosing a partner for marriage.

If you go into it worried about your money and full of fear about what your partner will do with "your" stuff, you should LISTEN to your instincts and rethink your decision.

It's YOUR life. Want marriage? Great. Know what you're doing.
Want to stay single? Fine. Know what that means too.

Don't place false deadlines on your life, like "by the time I'm 30" or "Well, I'll probably never meet a nicer guy than him ...." That's the first step toward a bad decision.
If you do it right, life is long, with many opportunities to "match up' with someone.

But using celebrities as examples of how to do ANYTHING is useless. Their experiences are so far from the norm that they won't help any of us.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I want a relationship. I don't necessarily want to get married.
There are also people who have sued for another's possessions in common law states. You have to research the law where you are.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Nothing wrong with a marriage warning. Think. Look before you leap.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

If you are honest with yourself about what you want and, more importantly, what you DON'T want, you will do a better job of choosing a partner for marriage.

If you go into it worried about your money and full of fear about what your partner will do with "your" stuff, you should LISTEN to your instincts and rethink your decision.

Don't place false deadlines on your life, like "by the time I'm 30" or "Well, I'll probably never meet a nicer guy than him ...." That's the first step toward a bad decision. If you do it right, life is long, with many opportunities to "match up' with someone.

But using celebrities as examples of how to do ANYTHING is useless. Their experiences are so far from the norm that they won't help any of us.
I kind of laugh when I hear some men complaining. SOME like the idea of marrying a woman who is dependent on them, someone they have some control over, someone who makes less money than they. Then there is the divorce, which happens to about half of us, and the guy feels she's taking him to the cleaners.

There is a reason why wealthy people prefer to hang with and marry other wealthy people, and this is one of them. Even prenups have been broken.

Marry someone in your category - someone who earns as much as you do. Preferably, encourage them to continue working, even when kids arrive. It is the honest thing to do. This way, you are more likely to stay friends in spite of a divorce because the courts will probably just divide the estate in half and all you'll have to argue over is shared custody. The kids will be happier knowing that you're friends.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Don't place false deadlines on your life, like "by the time I'm 30" or "Well, I'll probably never meet a nicer guy than him ...." That's the first step toward a bad decision.
If you do it right, life is long, with many opportunities to "match up' with someone.

Best advice on this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships