Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Romance 24/7? I think most women would be more than happy with a guy who unloaded the dishwasher and ran a vacuum around every once in a while
Maybe the pressure to be romantic (whether or not a woman expects it) makes a man completely give up and do nothing at all.

As for those stupid romantic comedies...well, just look at the 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' archetype that's so prevalent today.

And putting glasses on a gorgeous, thin, leggy actress DOES NOT MAKE HER A NERD/DORK.
Thank you, I hate that stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Mmmm. Ryan Gosling. I'll take one of those.

I don't know. I think most women know that a man isn't going to wait around for years, pining for her. Or make romantic overtures every day. That's just not reality. (Wouldn't hurt, though.)
I'll take one too. I'll have to hide him in the closet though when my husband's home.

Unless we can get Kate Hudson for him...then he might agree to it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I do love watching a good chick flick. I know life doesn't really happen that way. I'm not sure some people do though.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM

442 posts, read 615,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Most modern movies are responsible for inducing BPD symptoms in young women and promoting white knight values.
Can you give examples?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Can you give examples?
I gave a little after my post, although you need to have some patience to sit through it (or even look at it).

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I've never heard of "Princess Bride". Haven't seen "The Titanic", either, and don't plan to. I don't think people need to see romantic movies in order to get programmed, though; they absorb enough of that stuff from TV as kids, that they're already brainwashed by the time they get to college.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
i dont know, i feel like women want to have a love like "the notebook" but in reality would rather settle for the rich guy who they think they'd have a great life with. Also the guy is most likely not going to be Ryan gossling trying to sway them to be with them

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard of "Princess Bride".
I am surprised. It was like THE 80s movie for people in their 30s. A cult classic for the geekier people. It is basically a fairy tale with weird animals.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard of "Princess Bride". Haven't seen "The Titanic", either, and don't plan to. I don't think people need to see romantic movies in order to get programmed, though; they absorb enough of that stuff from TV as kids, that they're already brainwashed by the time they get to college.
You're missing out on one of the best movies of the 80s and probably one of the best romantic comedies of all time.

I mean Andre the Giant is in it, so it has to be amazing!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
And as far as the movie The Notebook is concerned. I just watched it again this morning and realized that the entire problem of them being apart for so long was the result of her mother not giving her the letters that Noah wrote over the course of a year. Seriously. . . it might have been a good idea if she got a PO Box before he left to go to war so that she could have got his letters. And despite the fact that the movie was set in the early 1920s, I still think there was a federal law that tampering with mail and/or opening and stealing it like her mother did, would have involved serious criminal consequences including jail time. Like 365 letters = 365 charges in federal court.

It's kind of funny too that the main character did not decide to leave her soon to be husband until he already found out about Noah and was willing to let her go to him. I'm sure she loved the triangulation while it lasted in terms of having two men want her at the same time. So she probably did a cost benefit analysis of the situation: the sex was better with Noah - he was poor and didn't have any money so was more likely to worship her clit for a few decades - her parents were already wealthy and/or as wealthy as the guy that would have been her husband so her inheritance and money from her parents would be able to give her the life she wanted without a rich husband and Noah was willing to degrade himself to the level of a guy that would do anything to have her whereas the wealthy potential husband could just go out and find another woman in about 72 hours without a problem.

I'm just saying. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships