Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How has Hollywood made modern relationship impossible? We can all agree that men & women are held to certain standards when it comes to dating/marriage. Men are supposed to sweep women off their feet by being romantic 24/7 and of course the women look like supermodels. And real life issues never come up. Do women really expect men to be or act like they do on screen? Do men think the women that date/marry should look like those women in the movies?

What other down sides to these movies have on realtionships?
I don't think Hollywood has made modern relationships impossible, at least not for the people who recognize most of those movies for the unrealistic puppet shows they are. I always say stuff like, "Who has time to light all those candles? Do you know how much those many candles would cost, anyway? That pillar in the back is like $14 at Pier 1. And the heat coming off those things, geez Louise." I ruin it for anybody who really wants to watch.

I do like some romantic movies. I loved Like Water For Chocolate. Whatever starring Kate Hudson and Ashton Kutcher playing two wacky kids and can their love survive the lie? I hate on sight. I know I am not the only one. Thus we are not doomed.

P.S. Anybody want a peanut?

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-24-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't think Hollywood has made modern relationships impossible, at least not for the people who recognize most of those movies for the unrealistic puppet shows they are. I always say stuff like, "Who has time to light all those candles? Do you know how much those many candles would cost, anyway? That pillar in the back is like $14 at Pier 1. And the heat coming off those things, geez Louise." I ruin it for anybody who really wants to watch.

I do like some romantic movies. I loved Like Water For Chocolate. Whatever starring Kate Hudson and Ashton Kutcher playing two wacky kids and can their love survive the lie? I hate on sight. I know I am not the only one. Thus we are not doomed.

HA! I'm the same way! My friends don't like going to action movies with me either, because I'm the one always pointing out the physics issues with what they're doing. Rom Coms irritate the crap out of me for some reason, maybe because it just seems so completely fake. Men don't act like that IRL, women who look like Jennifer Aniston IRL aren't hurting for love and the 'joke' about women eating like pigs but they're always stick thin gets old too.

Or, maybe when they wake up in the morning and their makeup/hair is absolutely perfect? I look like Alice Cooper after a bender if I sleep in my makeup.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
HA! I'm the same way! My friends don't like going to action movies with me either, because I'm the one always pointing out the physics issues with what they're doing. Rom Coms irritate the crap out of me for some reason, maybe because it just seems so completely fake. Men don't act like that IRL, women who look like Jennifer Aniston IRL aren't hurting for love and the 'joke' about women eating like pigs but they're always stick thin gets old too.

Or, maybe when they wake up in the morning and their makeup/hair is absolutely perfect? I look like Alice Cooper after a bender if I sleep in my makeup.
LOL! I don't even watch them at all.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Now I wanna see The Notebook again.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:

LMAO...I hear ya! Whenever they are in some grassy field laying down all I could think is "no way in hell I'd lay my naked ass in that field"

Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Buncha grinchy old ladies.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM

My all-time favorite movie is "Funny Girl" which is the story about the comedienne Fanny Brice's life. It's not modern but I love how it shows how a normal girl can get so worked up about a man who is, by conventional standards, out of her league and all the ups and downs that follow.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Cost AND the huge fire hazard!

Plus, I can barely get all the candles lit on the cake before they melt and without burning myself.

There's nothing romantic about First Aid.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM

640 posts, read 717,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
But no. Honestly, in my last relationship I probably would have been moved to tears if my ex had done the dishes, mopped the floor or done laundry. In fact, he once swiffered the living room (we had hardwood floors) and I swear I got a little feint.

I read this a lot...and I don't get it. How were these guys that y'all were/are dating living before the relationship? Isn't a guy's living conditions when you meet him a clue as to how he'll behave or maintain a household? Or, are none of the ladies looking at this beforehand?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM

It doesn't turn me on when a guy does household chores. I hear women saying that a lot and I never get it.

Not that I wouldn't be happy and feel grateful that he was being helpful to me but I wouldn't consider that sexy or romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships