Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

If I were Catholic I'd ask my priest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Because it depends on who you ask. I knew girls who went as early as 10 and didn't think it was special. In religious, it tends to be heavily emphasized. Um, you've never done it before. That's all I can think of.

Really though? I'm pretty much in the same situation except I'm a younger girl.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Most women do not see innocence as more sacred or special. They see it as probably bad in bed and very quick on the trigger.Give me a man with lots of experience over a 25 year old virgin any day.
For the OP -go ahead and lose it. Somebody you like would be your best bet.
Depending on the individual person, virginity *can be* a very special and beautiful thing -- for both men and women. I'm not knocking or judging anyone that feels differently about that here, as I also completely respect those whose opinions differ on the subject. I am not ashamed and have no regrets at all about being one, and personally have nothing but respect and admiration at the women who are also virgins, and saving themselves for marriage, etc. I also have no disrespect for those who are not virgins, and wish them all the best and happiness in love, too. Each person must ultimately do what s/he feels is right, according to his or her personal individual values and beliefs.

At the same time, physical intimacy is not the "end-all, be-all" thing in a relationship; it is simply one component of it, whether you are a virgin or not. There is also qualities of romantic love that are non-intimate in nature...for example, the ability to be affectionate and caring and tender, to your romantic partner. The ability to say "ILY", to hold and cuddle with a partner, to profess genuinely-felt words of love for another -- all of these are non-intimate, but potentially also just as loving as the act of physical intimacy itself.

To the OP, I would say do what feels right for you. If you wish to remain a virgin for the time being, it is nothing to be ashamed of, and should not detract from finding a loving relationship, with a woman who will truly care about you and your health and happiness. And if you want to share intimacy with someone, that is fine too; you may want though to at least perhaps consider sharing it with someone you truly love and care for. Do whatever makes you the most happy

Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tpowered View Post
I haven't had sex yet, and I'm 25. Not that I'm holding out, I just haven't done it yet (girls weren't really a thing to me until I finished college). It's starting to become sort of a "priority" to me now now (tired of just "waiting for it to happen"), and I don't wish to end up married to my right hand. That would suck kind of fierce. Sometimes people joke around and rib me about it. Last girl I was into I managed to ward off when I dropped that tidbit during a conversation...made me feel like sh*t for a week. Never again.

I have a bunch of platonic friends that always try to discourage me from having sex unless it's with some mythical, non-existent Mrs. Right. I'm starting to find it annoying and really despise it, I don't see why this group seems to treasure it so much to the point where they actively try to convince me to hang onto it, which doesn't make sense...It's a basic human need to want sex.

I've only recently "discovered" that women aren't exactly sugar, spice and everything nice (my rather strict, puritanical and fiercely old-fashioned parents forced into my head), and enjoy sex as casually as any guy would, so that kind of broke down notions that had me putting women way high on the pedestal.....which probably adds to how I haven't seen past second base (And I feel more than ready to), I know it's not very attractive.

I want to have sex like everyone else my age and see what it feels like, I honestly doing believe in this "wait for the right one" hokum, I don't think my first needs to be the love of my life or anything (Haven't really had a relationship with a girl yet, I've always flown solo). I used to not really care about it, but for the last two years, my virginity has really gotten to me. All of my friends have been sexually active for years and are not afraid to talk about it openly to me or around me, and it makes me feel inadequate, depressed and sort of jealous....feelings I never felt before when the topic of sex came up. I know a lot of you are going to say "sex isn't really a big deal", but that's kind of hard to accept when you haven't had it and really want it.

So, is virginity such an awesome, beautiful thing....or are women telling me that to make me feel better? It's starting to seem like more of the latter.
I never understood all that. When I was in my twenties I actually found the open and notorious presentation of a "V-Card" in a potential partner to be an enormous turn-off.

Also, from the MTV rank-and-file perspective, there isn't very much special about male virginity... Female virginity sort of implies discipline and virtue. Male virginity sort of implies something else (right or wrong).

Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Of all the people I know who are virgins (myself included), only a few are virgins for religious reasons.

The rest of us are pretty sexually frustrated, since it's not like we're choosing not to have sex. It's more like women aren't choosing to have sex with us.

OP my advice is figure something out quickly. Date a lot or find an easy lay or something, I can't imagine it being mentally healthy to want to have sex and not get it (it's already doing a number on me and I'm almost 21). I get what you mean about feeling jealous or inadequate when the inevitable sex talk comes up around guy friends. ****, whatever happened to the days when people kept that stuff to themselves?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Of all the people I know who are virgins (myself included), only a few are virgins for religious reasons.

The rest of us are pretty sexually frustrated, since it's not like we're choosing not to have sex. It's more like women aren't choosing to have sex with us.

OP my advice is figure something out quickly. Date a lot or find an easy lay or something, I can't imagine it being mentally healthy to want to have sex and not get it (it's already doing a number on me and I'm almost 21). I get what you mean about feeling jealous or inadequate when the inevitable sex talk comes up around guy friends. ****, whatever happened to the days when people kept that stuff to themselves?
Yeah, it seems like most people just cross that off their lists in middle and high school. For some reason, I never passed that mark. Then again, I never had a lot of friends or a serious relationship. I'm reaching the point where I really need the latter now.

The worst part is, you can't really rush it. I'm two years behind you and one of my friends used to say, "If you find an easy lay, you're definitely gonna regret it. It's basically like rape. Women will use that as an excuse for not having chosen better later, even if you do get drunk or high. Try to find someone you care about." That was from someone who lost their virginity at eleven!
"All you're gonna do is just find someone at a club and go."
They shook their heads, "Like I said, it's definitely not that easy. Okay, you can try but I still don't recommend it. You might as well just sleep with your best friend and get results that way."

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If I were Catholic I'd ask my priest.
I'm Catholic. Don't. They've taken a vow of celibacy which, if anyone listens to the news, they sometimes break. Finding out what percentage of the clergy has broken that vow would be interesting, to say the least.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Honestly?
Keep it..your virginity I mean.
As long as you are healthy physically, mentally, socially...then if a girl asks you about just be like "I have yet to meet a women of the required standards...and I'm not a ****, giving it up, just because.."

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
There is really nothing to "give up" when it comes to sex. It's just a first time, hopefully not an ONLY time. Although I don't think I knew too many 25 year old virgin men in my life I know for a fact there are many who have sex in their teens/early 20's then go a long time without it without it because they aren't in a relationship anymore. Not everyone likes the random hookups for that sort of thing.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 AM

206 posts, read 768,366 times
i am a virgin and i don't think its my state of being celibate that is special but my but that the act of sex itself is. i think sex is a beautiful and intimate and an exclusive experience and i dont feel comfortable at the thought of treating it like a hug or a handshake; something to be shared by every next guy that catches my fancy. i'm waiting to fall in love and share this intimate and private part of myself with someone as an act and expression of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships