Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
What's wrong with making friends with everyone?
Haha, I mean, that guy is usually the guy who's only real skill is being a people person. Also known as a bullsh*tter. Something you find in a lot of "white collar" jobs.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
@Sweet Like Sugar, please correct me if I am not interpreting correctly, but it seems as though your aversion is more toward personality and behavioral traits more so than class itself, and that you have incidentally noticed these traits in people of blue collar backgrounds. Am I right?
I'm sure there are blue collar men out there who don't constantly use profanity, but this particular guy who I was communicating with told me that it was very common to do so in his line of work (which I think was construction). I told him that I didn't care how he talked around his friends, but I didn't want him using that kind of language around me, but he just couldn't stop. It was like every other word. But yeah, even aside from that, I just felt like we were too different. I'm not saying that I have to have a guy exactly like myself who went to private school all his life, graduated from college, works in a certain field, etc. but we just have to be able to communicate properly. I don't want to feel like there's a huge socioeconomic gap between us.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm sure there are blue collar men out there who don't constantly use profanity, but this particular guy who I was communicating with told me that it was very common to do so in his line of work (which I think was construction). I told him that I didn't care how he talked around his friends, but I didn't want him using that kind of language around me, but he just couldn't stop. It was like every other word. But yeah, even aside from that, I just felt like we were too different. I'm not saying that I have to have a guy exactly like myself who went to private school all his life, graduated from college, works in a certain field, etc. but we just have to be able to communicate properly. I don't want to feel like there's a huge socioeconomic gap between us.
I can completely understand your stance. If you are talking relationships, then you have to be drawn to your partner, both in terms of physical attraction and personality.

I consider myself blue collar, but I have a Master's and currently work in a white collar job. Meanwhile my wife is from a white collar family, albeit a very down-to-earth one. My wife was not spoiled (in fact, the first time I met her she was working at a Boston Market, so she doesn't consider any work beneath her). It is a nice blending. My wife and her dad can be as excitable and animated during a football game as anyone I know, and I can be as refined as I need to be if the situation dictates.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrudaluknglass View Post
i work in a 'white collar field', the guy i am dating is 'blue collar'. He treats me like a queen and is the ideal concept of what i expect a man to be like. however, i am getting a hard time from some of my friends and particularly my family who believe i should "stick to people in my own class" as they say. I believe horrible people come in all social ranks, and have been treated wronged by some of those so called "white collar folks" i was sworn to date since birth. I just want to like someone who likes me for me. but does social class really matter?
I'm white collar, with an Ivy League degree and a thriving career. I date almost exclusively blue-collar guys for a variety of reasons, but mostly because that is just how it's all worked out. Of course, my family's background is fairly blue-collar, I've never conformed to expectations, and the guys I date are all extremely intelligent. Oh yeah, and I support myself, so it's not like I need some guy taking care of me financially.

My family also learned a long time ago that the surest way to make me buck is to give me a shove. They keep their mouths shut about my relationships because they know I'm an adult and I've got my own way of doing things.

If you are happy, stick with the relationship. Tell your family that you're an adult and their comments were heard and do not need to be repeated. Don't romanticize this "blue-collar/white-collar" contrast though - it just is what it is. Don't get caught up in the rebellion aspect of it - my mother rebelled in marrying my father (16 years older, twice-divorced, not a Catholic) and got herself nothing but misery. Accept that there will be times when your worlds will clash. (My one ex came to a business colleague's wedding and the cultural disconnect was fairly epic. But hysterically funny, too.) But at the same time, don't accept things that would otherwise be grossly unacceptable just because you think that's what his world is like.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM

179 posts, read 378,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm white collar, with an Ivy League degree and a thriving career. I date almost exclusively blue-collar guys for a variety of reasons, but mostly because that is just how it's all worked out. Of course, my family's background is fairly blue-collar, I've never conformed to expectations, and the guys I date are all extremely intelligent. Oh yeah, and I support myself, so it's not like I need some guy taking care of me financially.

My family also learned a long time ago that the surest way to make me buck is to give me a shove. They keep their mouths shut about my relationships because they know I'm an adult and I've got my own way of doing things.

If you are happy, stick with the relationship. Tell your family that you're an adult and their comments were heard and do not need to be repeated. Don't romanticize this "blue-collar/white-collar" contrast though - it just is what it is. Don't get caught up in the rebellion aspect of it - my mother rebelled in marrying my father (16 years older, twice-divorced, not a Catholic) and got herself nothing but misery. Accept that there will be times when your worlds will clash. (My one ex came to a business colleague's wedding and the cultural disconnect was fairly epic. But hysterically funny, too.) But at the same time, don't accept things that would otherwise be grossly unacceptable just because you think that's what his world is like.
Praise God! We have the same mindset

Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Praise God! We have the same mindset
LOL. How old are you? And how many long-term relationships have you had? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:36 PM

179 posts, read 378,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
LOL. How old are you? And how many long-term relationships have you had? If you don't mind me asking, that is.
28, 1 major long term relationship, alot of dating hit and misses...more misses than anything, but ultimately ive learned alot and have a feel on what i look 4

Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Depends on the people involved and the gap. Like Calipoppy said, it seems that when women date men that are of different social classes and that earn less or have less education, it tends to work out poorly for the women involved. Of course this isn't always the case, but from those that I know it was. Obviously it depends on if it matters to you. I suppose if I were single and met a nice blue collar guy, that happened to have an education, and was kind and treated me well I would give him a chance. But obviously there are many factors involved. I think it does matter to you, to some extent or the comments your friends and family make about your "so" wouldn't bother you... Sometimes it's just easier dating within your class, and within your education level and income level.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
28, 1 major long term relationship, alot of dating hit and misses...more misses than anything, but ultimately ive learned alot and have a feel on what i look 4
Old enough and experienced enough to know what you want. Be firm with your family, but kind. But also don't be afraid to take a step back if you need to, like if they persist in violating the boundaries you have articulated.

Good luck with your relationship!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
It doesn't matter that much in America. We don't live in India, so your class is not a huge deal.
This is a form of Americanism that is unacceptable. The sad fact is that most Americans don't even see what the problem is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships