Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Basically let's say you have decided to be childfree. You get to meet a significant other who you know in your heart is someone you feel is the "one." However this SO wants kids or is not willing to take parenthood completely off the table and basically you can't change their mind. What do you do? You obviously feel that you aren't cut out to be a parent but you love this person so much the thought of losing them may be more than you can bear?

How would you react to this situation?

Please no "the one would share the same views on this topic" answers.
I'm sorry.
With something THIS IMPORTANT, they can't be 'the one' if this philosophy is so completely out of line.
This is not a trivial matter.
Just like someone who didn't like dogs couldn't be the one for me.
Or someone who was too laid back and not ambitious.
Or someone disorganized and flaky.
Or someone out-of-shape and ugly.
Those are much smaller issues, but they completely eliminate the chance that person is 'the one.'
So wouldn't a GIANT life-changing issue like children completely eliminate the possibility?

As for answering without 'going there,' I would say that both of you should move on and find someone else. Far better that you are hurt and devastated than the defenseless kids who didn't ask to be born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM

26 posts, read 67,354 times
If someone tells me i'm child free, i jump in joy and don't stop jumping till my legs fall off

kids are and never will be worth the trouble they're a waist of time and just ruin everything you got going for ya in your life

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinAintEasy View Post

kids are and never will be worth the trouble they're a waist of time and just ruin everything you got going for ya in your life
For every person who says that, I always wonder...did your parents think the same thing about you?
It would explain a lot.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For every person who says that, I always wonder...did your parents think the same thing about you?
It would explain a lot.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Please no "the one would share the same views on this topic" answers.

Why not? That is the truth of it. Take it from someone whose ex thought he could change her mind on the subject.

Those who want children should not have to sacrifice that dream, and those who do not want children should not have to acquiesce to someone else's dream.

Having kids is a very serious thing. It's not like buying a car, where you can trade-up or sell after a while. It's permanent, and it changes your life. Indeed, it takes over your life, both in time and resources, as any parent who does it right can tell you. It's a life course, a path with no going back. Therefore, to have, or not to have, children, is one of the very basic things a couple should agree on. Otherwise, odds are very high that the one who defers to the other's wishes will come to resent that person.

The smart thing to do in a situation like this is to end it, even if it hurts. There are millions and millions of people out there. Eventually one will come along who is truly compatible, whom you can also love.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Sigh. Well the answers confirmed the truth I didn't wanna face. It sucks when the pool that you would have a chance with shrinks for another reason. But at the end of the day making and having children are a major deal-breaker for me and it is something I can't compromise on. I would actually be more open to be a step-parent or an adoptive parent than a natural parent. It is what it is and if it means I end up without a SO for life so be it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I would say it depends on the reason(s) you don't want to have kids.

If it is because you are young and want to do "non-kid things" - go to night clubs, be free to move around, etc., I would say that I was once like that, but changed as I grew older. Later on I wanted to "settle down".

Or financial reasons. Not enough room where you are living. Those things can change or be changed.

If you just hate kids or for some reason *know* you would be best to never be a parent, then that is a definite "deal breaker".

If you feel you could change, perhaps you and your SO could do a bit of babysitting in the evenings. See if you could grow to like it. Maybe take some parenting classes. Then make a decision.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Sigh. Well the answers confirmed the truth I didn't wanna face. It sucks when the pool that you would have a chance with shrinks for another reason. But at the end of the day making and having children are a major deal-breaker for me and it is something I can't compromise on. I would actually be more open to be a step-parent or an adoptive parent than a natural parent. It is what it is and if it means I end up without a SO for life so be it.
Well if that's the case then your pool hasn't really gotten that much smaller.

There are a lot of single/divorced/widowed mothers out there with children that don't want additional children.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Oh, good grief! You're barely out of the gate, entering the social world, and you're already convincing yourself you'll be single for life. First it was the wigged- out roommate and his break-up. Now this. Do you see how you have these negative thought patterns, and a tendency to catastrophize around the issue of finding an SO? It's almost like you want to set yourself up to fail. Stop worrying. Just enjoy circulating and meeting people. Life is to be enjoyed, not fretted about. It will happen when it's ready to happen. In the meantime, get out there and have fun. That's an order from your doctor.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's an order from your doctor.
We have our own "Dr. Ruth" on the boards huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships