Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

I love Mendocino, CA in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP..

I agree with you..
I reside on the central coast of central cali. I am approx. 20 minutes away from Pismo Beach, Avila Beach and Shell Beach. I live near San Simeon ( Hearst Castle) Morro Bay ( Whale watching)
and about one hour North of Santa Barbara you get the picture.

Pismo is one of my fave spots. The sunset is spectacular..the coves and the sand? To die for.
Collecting sand dollars after high tide late evening? priceless..
Watching the sunset from the pier as old fisherman fish from the pier, families taking their babies there before they return inland and back to the heat? Beautiful. Not too cold or too hot, the offshore breeze is to die for.

There is something dreamy about walking along the shore at sunset looking up at the cotton candy sky, seeing twilight reflect off of the ocean and making it look like glass.
I love the beach period. I have shared this with my son and family and friends and with my SO.
Just last weekend my son wanted to go boogie boarding.
My SO and I took him, it was about 5 we stayed until 8:00, watched the sunset and watched my son in his wet suit catching waves and the ocean looked like glass. He looked at me, kissed my head and stated "You, know we complain about the high price of living, here in CA but we really are blessed, this is our back yard" "There are people that do not have the luxury to see this any time they want, we are blessed" And he was right...
We spent our honeymoon in Cambria Pines, & explored the surrounding area. Very beautiful & romantic.

We were living in the Carmel Valley.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Beaches and the ocean are special. Something about the fresh sea air and the comforting, rhythmic roar of the ocean. I can pass on the storms, though.
I agree. The smell of the air and wide open spaces. Esp great for those living in crowded cities to catch a break.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I grew up near the ocean in California. I moved to another state far from the ocean 31 years ag and I miss it. I love the smell of the ocean, the crashing waves, looking for shells and sea life, walking on the sand, it is very romantic.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Even a trashy spot like Ocean City has its charm. I still remember going to the beach with my first girlfriend a few years ago. Sure we weren't afforded much privacy (damn family vacations) but it was still such a blast. IDK, there's something really special to me about the ocean. I've always wanted to live in one of these little towns, and I think part of it is because of the association I make with romance and whatnot. There's something soothing about just looking out at the massive deep blue, listening to the waves crash and feeling the sea breeze. And beach towns always seem to get the best thunderstorms... last night there were thunderbolts louder than bombs for hours. Nothing like holding your woman as you just watch a storm.

Some day I'll come back to this place with a girl in my arms and it'll be even more awesome. But even if I were single the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly content if I just lived in one of these towns.

Who else thinks there's something very special about these places?
As much as I do love the mountains, the beach in the winter can be very romantic

Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I love Mendocino, CA in the summer.
I've never had a chance to really check out Mendocino! N. Cal has so many great beach towns, and I love the redwood forests nearby, too. Gotta get back to CA!

Thanks to the OP for a great thread.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
I have a beach house and I love going down their and staying there for a couple of weeks at a time. I don't think they are romantic but they as are ever so peaceful. Sitting on the beach just taking stock of your life. It's really tranquil and enjoyable. Then to unwind some more I'll have a swim usually about a mile out into the ocean then back. Then, I'm ready to grill some barbecue and drink some beer.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
eh... not a lot of romance in it for me. too many people trying to crowd onto the same spot.. too many tourists, too much "big money" and elitism. i was enamored with it prior to actually living here year-round.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
It certainly seems so, San Francisco is hell of a lot more romantic than Kuala Lumpur. I'm sure that has more to do with the culture and demographics than the ocean though.

I currently rent a place on Treasure Island and the view of the city is pretty breathtaking, I'm surprised I don't see more couples taking strolls along that western road area.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
eh... not a lot of romance in it for me. too many people trying to crowd onto the same spot.. too many tourists, too much "big money" and elitism. i was enamored with it prior to actually living here year-round.
You have to know how to get away from the crowd scene. I've noticed that some beaches have a "public" beach, where everyone tends to crowd, and the rest is where the private homes are. A lot of people don't know that tidelands are public domain, and anyone can stroll up the beach as far as they want, away from the designated public area. But you must know that, now that you live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships