Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

I just read in another thread about how women all too often listen to other women's opinions about men, often their friends, and i'm wondering...how often has what could be a good thing been ruined by judgemental, bitchy, catty, jealous, misguided or over-protective friends?

I'm not saying a group of women consorting or discussing men is ALWAYS bad, of course, but let's face it, sometimes girls aren't really fair (and vice versa).

Also would be interesting to hear specific examples where a female friend or friends of hers actively or impeded or sabotaged your relationship. Perhaps you were getting along great, then she played a dirty trick, said something to influence her, you know what I mean. I mean even meeting some women, they're so esconsed in their group that it's like navigating a minefield. E.g. even approaching them at a club when they're with their friends.

I mean oftentimes women's intuition is spot on, and in some cases they do help get their friend out of trouble, or prevent her from ending up with an undesirable, but does the over-protective mentality sometimes just get in the way?

Last edited by Trimac20; 08-26-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
Often the over-protecting friend is more of a jealous manipulator who doesn't want you stealing her friend away from her. As for the group thing at clubs, just it for them to get through a few rounds of drinks, eventually the wall comes down brick by brick with each new cocktail. If not, set your sights somewhere else and let the sorority sisters have their little circle of superiority.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Often the over-protecting friend is more of a jealous manipulator who doesn't want you stealing her friend away from her. As for the group thing at clubs, just it for them to get through a few rounds of drinks, eventually the wall comes down brick by brick with each new cocktail. If not, set your sights somewhere else and let the sorority sisters have their little circle of superiority.
That's partly why I quit going out to clubs. All I'd see was groups of friends literally in circles, dancing.etc, and not mingling. Any girl who strayed from the pack was of course snapped up by some 6'2" Neanderthal, lol just joking.

Yes, jealousy, either of you or her friend (if she wants you) is often the reason. But I mean, group judgementalism in general.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Dear Jesus, yes. Many times, if a woman is surrounded by her respective "pack", it will make me even more reticent and I won't make an approach, unless a REALLY good opportunity comes up. Safety in numbers? Probably. I've noticed that there are occasions where the group will try preventing men from making a good approach, though. That can be tiresome when it occurs.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Dear Jesus, yes. Many times, if a woman is surrounded by her respective "pack", it will make me even more reticent and I won't make an approach, unless a REALLY good opportunity comes up. Safety in numbers? Probably. I've noticed that there are occasions where the group will try preventing men from making a good approach, though. That can be tiresome when it occurs.
Did you ever think it was because they wanted a fun night out with their girlfriends and didn't want to be bothered?

Sometimes, women just want to go out, dress up, look cute, drink a few cocktails and dance without men bothering them, then go home.

As for the OP, I always had more issues from my male friends than my female friends. My girlfriends were always happy I 'finally' found someone, since most of them had strings of boyfriends and I was perpetually single. My guy friends however...it was basically like having 10 older brothers.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Did you ever think it was because they wanted a fun night out with their girlfriends and didn't want to be bothered?

Sometimes, women just want to go out, dress up, look cute, drink a few cocktails and dance without men bothering them, then go home.
Which is why I typically don't... but I suppose one could make the argument that if they don't want to be bothered, picking a public place where there are lots of people is probably not optimal. Of course, how is one supposed to find out if they don't want to be bothered by just a glance? Finding out would require "bothering" them.

Quote:

As for the OP, I always had more issues from my male friends than my female friends. My girlfriends were always happy I 'finally' found someone, since most of them had strings of boyfriends and I was perpetually single. My guy friends however...it was basically like having 10 older brothers.
People who go out together stick with their social groups, whether they are all-male, all-female, or mixed.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Which is why I typically don't... but I suppose one could make the argument that if they don't want to be bothered, picking a public place where there are lots of people is probably not optimal. Of course, how is one supposed to find out if they don't want to be bothered by just a glance? Finding out would require "bothering" them.

People who go out together stick with their social groups, whether they are all-male, all-female, or mixed.
It's not nearly as much fun to dress up and dance around with your girlfriends in your living room If they're ignoring everyone and are engrossed with their friends, it's probably safe to say they're not interested. If they're looking around and making eye contact, it's safe to say they are.

I meant in general. My male friends wouldn't be caught dead in a 'club' or anything along those lines.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
^ This?

In DC, I've noticed this happens a little less but still enough to frustrate you.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Yes but it seems they're always just going out with friends. It's more fun to go out in public so they can boost their ego with the you can look but don't touch attitude.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes but it seems they're always just going out with friends. It's more fun to go out in public so they can boost their ego with the you can look but don't touch attitude.
Eh, I'm sure there are many that go out to boost their ego. Many probably just want to go out without being bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships