Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,232,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Ruth, have you seen some of the advice young guys are getting concerning dating on the CDR forum? You know like, become friends first, buy a puppy so you have a reason to talk to women, put her on a pedestal and treat her like a princess, go to her store and buy something you dont need just to have a chance to ask her out etc etc. How is that anyones reality? Thats bad advice that leads to more dissapointment. And if thats someones reality, then theyre just as clueless.
And who here has suggested any of this?

Please find one post where someone suggested this.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,620,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

These are all examples taken directly from reading CD posts. I will not go searching for these particular threads, but anyone who has been a long time poster and is willing to be honest, will confirm this. THese are only examples too, I could write a book on bad dating advice and misunderstanding of male/female dynamics as presented by posters on CD forum.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,682,210 times
The underlying assumption being that having an active dating life is desirable...

Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,232,223 times
Quote:
These are all examples taken directly from reading CD posts. I will not go searching for these particular threads, but anyone who has been a long time poster and is willing to be honest, will confirm this. THese are only examples too, I could write a book on bad dating advice and misunderstanding of male/female dynamics as presented by posters on CD forum.
Translation: You've got no proof.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,782,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who do you think is more likely to have a more active and successful dating life?

A. A guy who's a reliable male friend to all of his female friends
B. A guy who has cheated on his last two girlfriends and has no female friends
Active dating life? B, because you state he's had girlfriends and sex, while A is an unknown. Successful dating life? Unknown. B is unsuccessful by my measures, and A could be a champ or a chump. If he only has female friends who adore him, he's probably not a champ.

Quote:
A. A guy who holds his female friend's drink as she heads for the bathroom
B. A guy who drinks his female friend's drink as she heads for the bathroom and then says "Tasty!" upon her return
B, all things being equal. He's funnier. But that's why you knock it back before you go anyway.

Don't hold her purse.

Quote:
A. A guy who goes Christmas shopping and thinks of all the wonderful things he can buy for his loved ones
B. A guy who only makes one stop (at Best Buy) and buys himself a new flatscreen
Successful, A. Active, B. We may have different opinions of active as well.

Quote:
A. A guy who helps his female friends move
B. A guy who never helps anyone move
If you added "female" to indicate that he only helps his female friends, or that all his friends are female, then B. If A helps his friends in general--guys too--then A.

Quote:
A. A guy who responds "Yes" or No" if asked if he has a girlfriend
B. A guy who evades the question or responds "It's complicated" if asked if he has a girlfriend
Successful, A. Active, B--there's only one reason to lie or evade the question, so they must do it because it works for them.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

Actually, Ro, at least one of these items has come up.

Ascension: No one has said 'put her on a pedestal and treat her like a princess' (although you'd expect two people in love to spontaneously do that anyway, wouldn't you? Women put guys on a pedestal too, it's only human in the infatuation phase), that's your interpretation of "treat her well". I missed the puppy thread, if it ever happened; it could be an urban legend. I remember the store-purchase thread. When you're chatting up a store employee, you have to have a reason (from the viewpoint of the management), or you could get the employee in trouble. It's not uncommon for people (men and women) to go into a store a few times, where there's an interesting employee they want to get to know. The only way to get to know someone is to talk to them, and no one, male or female, is going to breeze in and ask out a stranger, some common ground needs to be laid, first. Most employees wouldn't agree to a date invite from a stranger. I see no problem with this advice.

The buy-a-dog strategy is recommended to women, too. Buy a dog and walk it in your target neighborhood, whatever that is (upscale, artsy, etc.) This seems to be fairly standard dating advice, you can take it or leave it. Just because it's not your style doesn't mean it's ridiculous. It's not mine either, but I recognize it can work for some people.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-28-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
I could write a book on bad dating advice and misunderstanding of male/female dynamics as presented by posters on CD forum.
It's only bad dating advice from your perspective, because you operate differently. If your m.o. works for you, great! Different strokes for different folks. Other tactics are more suitable to other personalities. Vive la difference! For the Nth time, try to live and let live. Would it kill you?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,882,125 times
Quote:
Every mans goal in life is to get laid as much as possible. Some, that cant get laid, simply like to pretend this isnt the case. I am honest to a fault, and thats why i rub some people the wrong way. Women test, its the reality. Do your own research and then have an educated opinion about it, it makes for a much better exchange and debate.
First of all, you can't speak for "every man".

And second of all, while many do believe sex is very important they also have much loftier goals than just scoring with women

Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,433,941 times
He's read too much internet pick-up stuff

Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,620,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
First of all, you can't speak for "every man".

And second of all, while many do believe sex is very important they also have much loftier goals than just scoring with women
Yes, like scoring more and with more attractive women. Some guys will tell you something different, but thats becasue for some odd reason, theyre affraid to tell you the truth. All guys like to get laid, unless they are asexual. Fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.