Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
What did he say? As I mentioned I went into the store the guy I like and asked him to hang out. He said he would love to and that he's lonely because all he does is work and go to the bar for a drink. To me that sounds like a yes because he seemed to like it but if he had said "maybe sometime" I would take it as he was being nice to me.
He laughed and changed the subject.

He's definitely not interested, but it was nice to talk to another person for a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
He laughed and changed the subject.

He's definitely not interested, but it was nice to talk to another person for a little bit.
Unfortunately sounds like he's not interested but at least you tried. Who knows, maybe it's not you but he already had someone, that happened to me.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Unfortunately sounds like he's not interested but at least you tried. Who knows, maybe it's not you but he already had someone, that happened to me.
I'm pretty used to guys not being interested, so it's really not a big deal. Like I said, it was nice talking to someone about games for a bit.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
In middle school, the only guys who ever got taken were the jocks. That isn't to say that some jocks aren't good people, but it is to say that most of the good people weren't taken because few of them were jocks.

In high school, the game changed a bit but the jocks still ruled. In high school it becomes more about your reputation than how adept you are at handling a ball or how quickly you can run.

Let me ask you this- In middle school and high school, how well did you get to know the guys who weren't widely known as "good guys" or "bad guys"? There are always those who seem to fly under the radar. Did you pursue them?

See, I was one such person. I wasn't especially "cool" due to my social awkwardness, and I was not athletic. So, I was not well-known for being a "good guy". Since I didn't have any opportunities to be a jerk, I was not widely known as a "bad guy". The girls kept their distance from me in those days because of the "status thing"... they'd have much rather dated the jocks. In high school, when it wasn't so much about athletic prowess, I did much better. But that has to do with how girls were willing to look into a guy who didn't wear a varsity jacket. Were you one such girl, in middle school and high school?
I somehow missed this, I read a bit earlier but forgot to respond.

This question is too complicated, or maybe I'm just way tired from a long day. I was surprised by the not-so-popular ones. I pretty much spoke to everyone and it seemed like, well, if they weren't taken, they never asked me out or vice versa.

It was a long time ago, anyway. I did used to have crushes on some guys, which my friends and family knew about, but who I was at thirteen, even seventeen, is nothing like me today except maybe one or two things. Actually, everyone in our class was the same way. We cleaned up and improved after graduation.

So I really don't know.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
I'm pretty used to guys not being interested, so it's really not a big deal. Like I said, it was nice talking to someone about games for a bit.
At least you're handling it quite well. Not good to be beat up over people you've never even met.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
At least you're handling it quite well. Not good to be beat up over people you've never even met.
I'm reallllly used to rejection. I handle it well because it's expected. I'm more shocked when I don't get rejected.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordPressed View Post
if you are a guy, YOU NEED TO SEND OUT A LOT OF MESSAGES, average looking women there have sky high standards
Now a days yes. The only way to break these chicks of this segment down is either with money or good loooks.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Now a days yes. The only way to break these chicks of this segment down is either with money or good loooks.
It's funny, because I almost immediately reject any good looking, wealthy men.

They're online because they want an easy lay, not a relationship. Good looking, wealthy men could stand in the middle of the street, point and say 'you, you're going on a date with me' and I can guarantee a bunch of women would say yes. There's an ulterior motive if he's online.

Same goes for a hot chick.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Out of curiosity, for those of you who found your current spouse or have friends/relatives who met your/their spouse online, how long ago did you meet?
6 1/2 years ago.

I suppose that doesn't bolster my case.

Naturally, I haven't done any hunting on personals sites in recent memory (except to go on Craigslist and have a good laugh with my wife at how pathetic some people can be)... but I did online dating for 8 years (on and off) and the concepts never changed. Why should they have changed in the last 6 1/2 years?

Quote:
I know a few people who met their current spouses online, but they met over 5 years ago. I have several friends who have or had online profiles but only one couple met online and is getting married that has met within the last 5 years (they met about 2 years ago). I've heard several success stories, but not very many I'd consider recent. In fact, I was recently told by a friend I need to get back online and had to give it at least a year before giving up. It seems to me online dating used to be a great way for potentially meeting your spouse but that trend has changed.
It hasn't changed at all. You have to get back online and never give up until you find the right one. The right one is out there. You have to be out there too. Otherwise, he'll never find you... or you'll never find him. People who get frustrated by online dating aren't doing things right.

I got burned a few times by people who misrepresented themselves... but here's the thing. People can misrepresent in real life just as easily as they'd misrepresent online. I should know. The worst example of misrepresentation I ever experienced came at the hands of my ex-wife... whom I did meet online, but that hardly matters as we started talking on the phone after three days and met in person after two weeks. (It was another almost 1 1/2 years before we got married.) We lived but 77 miles apart, so it was easy to see each other. She carried out 99% of the misrepresentation in person... so the failure of that relationship had little to do with it having started online.

Quote:
I've been told by several male friends pretty much the only thing I have going against me when it comes to dating is I'm over 35-like I can control when I was born! I've been told this more so than me being widowed will kick me out of the dating pool for about 90-95% of men in the 30-45 age range I desire.
Find a guy who is also over 35, and suddenly it's an asset rather than a liability. Lots of 30-somethings have no interest in younger women. I'm 32... closer to 33 actually. I can tell you that, if I were suddenly on the market again, I wouldn't even consider any woman younger than "upper 20s". Young women strike me as little more than glorified children. Age doesn't matter when one is truly "grown up", but how many women really are, by age 22? (My ex thought it was totally acceptable to deceive me up one side and down the other with an extremely elaborate act... because she was afraid she'd never find any other man if she didn't nail me down. She was 21 when we met, 22 when we got married. Older people, generally speaking, don't have the time nor the desire to engage in that bullcrap.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
I somehow missed this, I read a bit earlier but forgot to respond.

This question is too complicated, or maybe I'm just way tired from a long day. I was surprised by the not-so-popular ones. I pretty much spoke to everyone and it seemed like, well, if they weren't taken, they never asked me out or vice versa.

It was a long time ago, anyway. I did used to have crushes on some guys, which my friends and family knew about, but who I was at thirteen, even seventeen, is nothing like me today except maybe one or two things. Actually, everyone in our class was the same way. We cleaned up and improved after graduation.

So I really don't know.
They may have not asked you out because they were afraid you'd reject them. I can tell you that, when I was a young teenager, I blew dozens of opportunities because I was afraid of being rejected. Maybe I would have been rejected by most of those girls, but at least then I would've had closure.

Teenagers pay attention to a lot of things, to figure out whether or not they have a chance with someone of the opposite gender. The person's friends, extracurricular activities, classes, clothing, etc... they all add into the equation.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,559 times
Quote:
Good looking, wealthy men could stand in the middle of the street, point and say 'you, you're going on a date with me' and I can guarantee a bunch of women would say yes. There's an ulterior motive if he's online.

Same goes for a hot chick.
I agree with the ulterior motive part about a good-looking, well-off man being online, but do you really think a bunch of woman would jump at that scenario? I'd laugh hysterically and walk away...fast! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships