Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Because you think that they might not like say Asian guys, or black guys, or even white guys?

Believe me, I don't WANT to make it an issue, and heck, I haven't even approached very many women, but I do wonder sometimes if it's even worth approaching a woman because she might rule out dating men of a different race to her. Typically, it's white women excluding other races. I don't have a problem with them having preferences, but it's hard to gauge the percentage who would discount a man who approached her purely based on something like that. For instance, different women probably have different levels of flexibility. Some would outright never date someone of another race, some would only someone exceptional, while another might think of them the same as any other group. It's kind of awkward to ask directly, so I suppose the best policy is to try to not even keep it in mind as a possible factor, and go in thinking it ISN'T an issue?

I mean I have no idea what the percentages are, but I suppose when you live in a place where you are a 'minority' this will factor in. I certainly don't believe in restricting myself to dating within a certain group, but sometimes, one might feel awkward trying to approach someone who has totally ruled you out.

My belief is, most of us certainly have the CAPACITY to be attracted to all kinds of people. Like I said I would date any race of woman if I thought she was attractive and we got on. I've heard that, if you've got enough 'game', are likeable enough etc it shouldn't matter...would you say MOST women would cast aside these preferences if they found someone they liked enough? Or are there a lot of women who might say 'oh I really like him, but I don't date ___ guys.'

I mean things are certainly changing here, but I only raise this because sometimes I get the sense that where I live especially, a large percentage of women don't seem to go in for Asian guys. I'm not sure how true that is, of course, but when I go to Asia it just seems women appreciate me a bit more. Hell even in the States I found there were less hang-ups over it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Nah because I grew up in a diverse environment and am mixed myself. I'm Latin but primarily date white women. I also get hit on by black women a lot although I can no more be mistaken for a black person than Robert Deniro would. Australia may be different because they're a lot more backward when it comes to racial issues.

In America, Asian guys do often find it difficult to meet white women but I suspect thats more because most Asian guys I know are either nerdy and kinda effeminate OR restrict themselves to Asian women. Some women don't like Asian guys but probably most would in the right circumstances. I think lots of Asian guys feel weird about hitting on white women although one of my best friends is a tall good looking Asian guy and hes dated a few cute white girlies. Don't act like a stereotypical Asian nerd and you'll be OK.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Nah because I grew up in a diverse environment and am mixed myself. I'm Latin but primarily date white women. I also get hit on by black women a lot although I can no more be mistaken for a black person than Robert Deniro would. Australia may be different because they're a lot more backward when it comes to racial issues.

In America, Asian guys do often find it difficult to meet white women but I suspect thats more because most Asian guys I know are either nerdy and kinda effeminate OR restrict themselves to Asian women. Some women don't like Asian guys but probably most would in the right circumstances. I think lots of Asian guys feel weird about hitting on white women although one of my best friends is a tall good looking Asian guy and hes dated a few cute white girlies. Don't act like a stereotypical Asian nerd and you'll be OK.
That's the crux of it. I do know quite a few Asian guys who do/have dated white women, but I also know some who would like to but are too intimidated. I also know quite a few who say they are only interested in Asian women. A percentage of them might just have given up. I used to live in a town where I was literally one of a handful of Asians...I also went to a school where it was similar. Growing up the girls I was attracted to were mostly non-Asians but that mostly had to do with where I grew up in.

But yeah, maybe you're right...maybe more women would under the circumstances...but you get the nagging feeling that many might still prefer a white man or feel like they were short-changing themselves.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Well im white, and have always being less confident approching white women than asian ones, so the answer is yes.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well im white, and have always being less confident approching white women than asian ones, so the answer is yes.
I have a white friend who also exclusively dates Asian women. I do wonder if part of it is because they are 'easier' for him. I mean it seems he literally has them falling at his feet!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I have a white friend who also exclusively dates Asian women. I do wonder if part of it is because they are 'easier' for him. I mean it seems he literally has them falling at his feet!
They are not 'easier" in terms of willingness to be picked up (in fact id say its much harder to pick up an asian girl at a pub/club and take her home for the night), Its all about confidence Trimac.

I just felt more confident around asian's because I thought I might be more desireable to them. There may not be any truth to that at all, but that is what i felt.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-28-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Nevah. When I approach a lady and let out my irresistable accent and my impeccable syntax there is no going back for them.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Im white and I really like foreign men. It's become a pattern with me, I think.

Don't be afraid.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
For me its not a problem. I believe in breaking down borders and boundaries. another thing that helps me is that I'm Multi ethnic as well as culturally diverse, this helps me break alot of ground when talking to a female.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-28-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
There needs to be a version of this for us women!

I'm a first generation Asian girl so yeah, I remember when I was younger people always said that Asian girls were the best since all the races liked them. Whereas Asian men were seen as inferior, although I don't think that's true since they did have Asian men in kung fu movies and Asian men doing electronics.

No, I've never felt less confident in approaching anybody. I still prefer to date Asian guys but all my friends found Hispanics, whites, and they said the only time they ever feel less confident is when they go over to visit their families and they're not accustomed to social norms and food. I don't think it's that big of a deal, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships