Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

Do you think that some people pull back from relationships because the intensity or potential for intensity “scares” them? I’ve seen this used as an excuse in books, tv and movies, but I find it hard to believe in real life. I mean, would you really pull out of a relationship simply because of the fear of feeling too much? To me, it kind of sounds bizarre – like manufactured drama.
Thoughts, C-D folk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Yes. It happened to me with my ex husband when we were first dating, he got scared and dumped me, but then he came back after a week or two and lots of thought.

Some people never get over it and come back though.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Yup, I have had it happen. And he came back and then he left again

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Deep-seated fear of abandonment can make people do that. Kind of like fear of success or fear of failure at a job.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes. It happened to me with my ex husband when we were first dating, he got scared and dumped me, but then he came back after a week or two and lots of thought.

Some people never get over it and come back though.
^This. My husband pulled this twice. First time we were just dating for for about 4 months and about 2 weeks later he came back. The 2nd time we were dating over a year. That didn't last long either--close to a month. I can understand the first time since we dating for just a short time but the 2nd time threw me off. He wasn't sure if this was what he wanted and he was going through some other family matters. I gave him his space so he could figure out what he wanted. He came back.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Deep-seated fear of abandonment can make people do that. Kind of like fear of success or fear of failure at a job.
Interesting - my myriad fears have never been about abandonment, so I guess I wouldn't get the concept. I understand fears of failure and other things quite well, but abandonment isn't anything I've ever had to face or been threatened with.

Hm. Guess I'd better work on my empathy a bit.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
^This. My husband pulled this twice. First time we were just dating for for about 4 months and about 2 weeks later he came back. The 2nd time we were dating over a year. That didn't last long either--close to a month. I can understand the first time since we dating for just a short time but the 2nd time threw me off. He wasn't sure if this was what he wanted and he was going through some other family matters. I gave him his space so he could figure out what he wanted. He came back.
Oh man. The first time was super hard, I think a second time would have did me in.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times
Yes.

I can "fall in love" quite easily, but there is a point when I feel it coming over me when I can decide to pull away...usually when common sense kicks in.

I backed away a couple of times as a single mother because I never wanted my kids to have any uncles. I dated someone I could easily have totally fallen for but kept a lid on it because of my children.

That turned out to be one of the best relationships I've ever had, even ended well.

Now my kids are grown and gone, I've had a couple where I could've "fallen" but something (usually something stupid they do or say) always stops me, and I move on.

Some people are happiest either alone, or at a comfortable arm's reach. I am one of them.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I am guilty of this, unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I agree.

Oh man. The first time was super hard, I think a second time would have did me in.
The 2nd time was his last chance. He must have thought long and hard because several months after that he was the one who brought up marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships