Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Neither does Bill Gates. I also think Steve Jobs didn't finish, or was it Wozniak?

At any rate, they start at the Harvards, Berkeleys, or funky places like Reed and THEN drop out. Most people can't even get into those schools. They just had something more compelling and entrepreneurial to do, so they bailed. This thread is about REGULAR people, not EXCEPTIONAL ones.

There are no exceptional people here, on CDF-Rel, let's be honest about that.
True, but I can be honest and say I've met regular people without college educations that were intelligent and intellectual(in their own right). That being said, on average, these types of relationships probably don't work out, unless the individuals involved have plenty of commonalities, values, etc. For me if a person did not have a college education then they'd need something to supplement. For instance a trade, a skill, their own business, or if he was in the military(my so went to college then went to the military and has many air force buddies that have little college education--they might have dropped out of college--but make great money and are great at what they do). I wouldn't have dated a man without a college education that did not have some other asset to supplement, nor would I have dated a man that didn't at least see the value in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
I got into Reed...but it wasn't for me. The shcool is academically fantastic of course, but honestly I felt like the squarest guy on a campus full of new-age Marxists and hipsters. And I was liberal back where I was from haha.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Yes

Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,155 times
To answer the title, sure I would date someone without a college degree. I have a degree myself from a well-regarded university.

Some of the most intelligent, brightest and most successful people out there have never stepped foot on a college campus.

Some of the biggest morons and failures out there have PhDs in lucrative, highly challenging fields. Sure, they may be bright solely in their specific field of study (i.e. "specialized" smarts), but they are utter fools in most other aspects of life. For example, they are utterly clueless in regards to social etiquette at a cocktail party, or they are unable to recognize the subtleties of communication. They lack well-rounded intelligence, which requires a mixture of knowledge, varied life/social experiences and common sense.

Many book-"smart" people who haven't spent much time out in the fresh outdoor air aren't truly intelligent. They're merely knowledgeable about the stuff they studied. They are often incapable of effectively handling real-world situations and problems.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Maybe. All the guys that I dated were either in college (while I was in college) or had college degrees. It's not like it was a prerequisite of mine - it's just that all the guys I dated were college educated. There can be a lot more to a college education than a piece of paper. To do well, you have to be self motivated - your parents aren't there to force you to go to class. Most people are living away from home for the first time in their lives. It's a time to safely explore who you are and to figure yourself out a bit. I think it can be an important time in developing who you are. I'm not saying that you can't do all this with out going to college or that everyone who goes to college experiences this - but it can be an important stepping stone to shaping your future. Almost everyone in my circle of friends has a college education - if not more. Although I wouldn't say that if I were single that I would never date someone who hadn't been to college - I do think that it would be out of the norm for me.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM

271 posts, read 532,236 times
I don't have a degree... not even a diploma from high school. I dated a girl a few years back who told me she was intimidated by my intelligence and she left me to go back to school... to get her Masters. It's not that I'm Einstein, it's just that she was a moron.

My wife is highly educated, BA from a top school, professional designations, etc. I can hang with her. I feel I can hang with 99% of the planet. Sometimes life gets in the way of the supposed plan and it doesn't affect your spice for life, ability or desire to learn, and intellect. It just makes things more challenging, but I also see it as a positive that life has hardened me because my life plan didn't take the expected upward trajectory. I'm adaptable, more so than college grads I know. I ended up on the right path eventually.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
All the time. I date mostly blue-collar guys who are self-educated. We tend to have a lot of discussions about books and current events, and play a lot of scrabble, watch a lot of documentaries, etc. I mean, those activities alternate with a lot of movies where stuff blows up, car shows and and heavy metal concerts, but I'm really into those things too.

I just really like guys with creative and hungry brains who have the drive to pursue knowledge for its own sake.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I don't have a degree... not even a diploma from high school. I dated a girl a few years back who told me she was intimidated by my intelligence and she left me to go back to school... to get her Masters. It's not that I'm Einstein, it's just that she was a moron.

My wife is highly educated, BA from a top school, professional designations, etc. I can hang with her. I feel I can hang with 99% of the planet. Sometimes life gets in the way of the supposed plan and it doesn't affect your spice for life, ability or desire to learn, and intellect.
LOL, after hanging out with my then-boyfriend at a co-worker's wedding, a colleague who had been discussing physics and astronomy with him during the event asked me the following Monday where my guy was doing his PhD work. I explained gently that the man who'd been explaining string theory and god knows what else to him for several hours was a handyman and mechanic. My colleague had just assumed that anyone with that depth of knowledge had to be a graduate student.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes

GOD Bless!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

There are no exceptional people here, on CDF-Rel, let's be honest about that.
What's your definition of exceptional?
Billionaires?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships