Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I agree. I like turning pages, I like the cutesy little bookmarks and I like the feel of a book in my hands. My husband got me a kindle a few years ago and he uses it a lot more than I do. We got my daughter one for her birthday because she liked using "my" kindle as well.

I prefer books though, especially hardcovers. We just cleaned out our closet today and my husband declared "no more books, shoes or purses!" My 3 vices
Well, from a tech POV kindles and other e readers are gonna die, replaced by Tablets and smaller computers, but that is best left for another thread... LOL...

Vices.

I like hookers, blow and guns.....

Hey, at least yours are legal.... be thankful.....

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, from a tech POV kindles and other e readers are gonna die, replaced by Tablets and smaller computers, but that is best left for another thread... LOL...

Vices.

I like hookers, blow and guns.....

Hey, at least yours are legal.... be thankful.....

Tis' the season!

I will never own a tablet unless they completely replace my laptop.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Tis' the season!

I tell you, tablets are the bomb. I didn't think much of them early on, but I bought a little 7" last fall, and I love it. No, it doesn't replace my laptop all the time, but it sure does when I travel. No more lugging that laptop with me, ever again.

But not for reading...I prefer books, as you do.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Tis' the season!

Studies are coming out... most people use laptops for simple basic tasks... tasks that a powerful tablet can do.......... I think tabs might replace laptops in the future...

No boot up time, simple basic tasks, email, skype, web browsing... cloud computing sovles a lot of "storage" issues... tablets have wifi and some have 3 or 4g connectivity....

Sorry... didn't mean to tech out on you...

Just dont discount tablets in the future... I think that they are gonna replace a lot of pc's for a lot of basic tasks.........

Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Studies are coming out... most people use laptops for simple basic tasks... tasks that a powerful tablet can do.......... I think tabs might replace laptops in the future...

No boot up time, simple basic tasks, email, skype, web browsing... cloud computing sovles a lot of "storage" issues... tablets have wifi and some have 3 or 4g connectivity....

Sorry... didn't mean to tech out on you...

Just dont discount tablets in the future... I think that they are gonna replace a lot of pc's for a lot of basic tasks.........

But that's what my phone is for

I like my laptop. I can take it with me and all my files are on it. I use it at work, plug it into the smartboard and viola, I've got my lesson plans all set to go. I'm not sure I can do that with a tablet?? If we've done a chart or something on the smartboard that I want to save for a future lesson, I touch and save to my laptop and can pull it up another day.

If a tablet can do those kinds of operations and store all my files I'd be all over it!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Happy Thanksgiving!!

In a matter of hours my face will be stuffed with turkey!!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
But that's what my phone is for

I like my laptop. I can take it with me and all my files are on it. I use it at work, plug it into the smartboard and viola, I've got my lesson plans all set to go. I'm not sure I can do that with a tablet?? If we've done a chart or something on the smartboard that I want to save for a future lesson, I touch and save to my laptop and can pull it up another day.

If a tablet can do those kinds of operations and store all my files I'd be all over it!
Cloud based computing.... office web "apps" live on the tablet, data is stored on the cloud... modify it and it is available everywhere....

Don't worry, this shyt will be touted more and more in the coming months and yrs,..... win8 is preparing people more and more for this with MS Surface tab and MS Skydrive functions....

The mantra used to be powerful laptops... but I think that trend is drifting towards simpler, more portable fucntions, with less storage at the local device........ its a trend that has been happening for the last several yrs.....

Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Cloud based computing.... office web "apps" live on the tablet, data is stored on the cloud... modify it and it is available everywhere....

Don't worry, this shyt will be touted more and more in the coming months and yrs,..... win8 is preparing people more and more for this with MS Surface tab and MS Skydrive functions....

The mantra used to be powerful laptops... but I think that trend is drifting towards simpler, more portable fucntions, with less storage at the local device........ its a trend that has been happening for the last several yrs.....
See...I'm not a technical person at all. I get the concept of cloud, but I'm not sure I love it because it requires a bit of trust that it's actually going to work.

I know how to use my computer, it does everything I need it to do. I think I have Windows Vista if I'm not mistaken. I don't keep up with all that is new though. So long as I can access my files on it, I'm good.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
See...I'm not a technical person at all. I get the concept of cloud, but I'm not sure I love it because it requires a bit of trust that it's actually going to work.

I know how to use my computer, it does everything I need it to do. I think I have Windows Vista if I'm not mistaken. I don't keep up with all that is new though. So long as I can access my files on it, I'm good.
Yes.....I hear ya...

Simple is where tech is going, so you're in good shape if don't care or need to to more techie info.

To be honest, as a techie person, it is nicer to see the "user interface" gettig simpler.

Yes, I have reservevations myself about the "cloud".... but, well have to see how it goes, I personaly have been using MS hotmail funcitions for more and more of my 'personal" stuff... its got to do lists, calendar funcitons along with email.... that "data" lives on the cloud..so I don't know... we'll see...

Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Yes.....I hear ya...

Simple is where tech is going, so you're in good shape if don't care or need to to more techie info.

To be honest, as a techie person, it is nicer to see the "user interface" gettig simpler.

Yes, I have reservevations myself about the "cloud".... but, well have to see how it goes, I personaly have been using MS hotmail funcitions for more and more of my 'personal" stuff... its got to do lists, calendar funcitons along with email.... that "data" lives on the cloud..so I don't know... we'll see...
Hmmm, I wonder if that is similar to google?

We have photos on google as well as our calendar. We can both update the calendar and it will sync right to my phone (as well as my husbands) which has been a blessing! I could not function without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships