Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well yeah, I don't HAVE to get them something, but it would be nice, I mean, I am the only son, it's not like anyone else is going to do it.

They'll be coming to California for Christmas and we'll be going down to my great aunt's house, as is traditional in the Swiss side of the family.
I am the only son as well, but with my parents on a fixed income I don't see the necessity. While their "old age" griping can grate my nerves I still enjoy spending time with them. Last year we did take them to a play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Well if you are going to play like that...nevermind.
Time is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I should suggest that to my dad and his wife. We visit them during the holidays and the gifts they buy are just absolutely crappy gifts.... Yeah, I know how it sounds and I don't mean it to be harsh I don't want or need anything. It's just the stuff they've gotten over the yrs is just ZERO effort, almost to the point of why bother... again, trust me, I know it sounds crappy, I just don't mean it that way.. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be fine just showing up having dinner and just visiting. I don't want or need anything and I don't wanna put them out to have to go brave the stores to buy stuff. I think they'd probably be happy not buying stuff, just my dad probably doesn't wanna be rude and say it outloud. They don't use the computer and don't shop online. So they gotta go out and do it old school... which I couldn't never go back to... thank god for online shopping...

Let's face it the gift exchanging is really for the kids and yeah, I'll be honest, the toys I want I would be a super a**hole of a son to even remotely suggest my parents to buy them as a gift.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

Time is up!

Figured since you announced you were armed it's probably a better idea to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
I am the only son as well, but with my parents on a fixed income I don't see the necessity. While their "old age" griping can grate my nerves I still enjoy spending time with them. Last year we did take them to a play.

Time is up!

Let's face it the gift exchanging is really for the kids and yeah, I'll be honest, the toys I want I would be a super a**hole of a son to even remotely suggest my parents to buy them as a gift.
Yep....

The stuff I would like to buy, no way I could ask someone to pay for it.

Every yr, Mrs. Chow's family all does a gift exchange where names are drawn and you exchange gifts with that person. It helps take the burden off of everyone having to get gifts.

I got Mrs. chow's nephew, a kid fresh out of college not making any money, trying to get his career/job going.

So I'm going through my list trying to come up with the cheapest stuff I could think of to help take it easy on the kid. LOL

Stuff like cheaper gift certificates at Target or Starbucks or similar things like baseball caps, just stuff that would be cheap.....

Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yep....

Every yr, Mrs. Chow's family all does a gift exchange where names are drawn and you exchange gifts with that person. It helps take the burden off of everyone having to get gifts.

I got Mrs. chow's nephew, a kid fresh out of college not making any money, trying to get his career/job going.

So I'm going through my list trying to come up with the cheapest stuff I could think of to help take it easy on the kid. LOL

Stuff like cheaper gift certificates at Target or Starbucks or similar things like baseball caps, just stuff that would be cheap.....
I'm easy...I like cheapy stuff like fuzzy socks, lipgloss and pj pants...that sort of thing.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
I'm easy...I like cheapy stuff like fuzzy socks, lipgloss and pj pants...that sort of thing.
I love me some fuzzy socks and lipgloss too. In fact I like to go out dressed in my pjs with lipgloss, just to pick up the ladies. Works every time.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
I love me some fuzzy socks and lipgloss too. In fact I like to go out dressed in my pjs with lipgloss, just to pick up the ladies. Works every time.
Now I need new underwear for Christmas.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
This is why it drive me nuts when my husband thinks he has to spend $$$ for a gift. He could get me all 3 of those and it would cost less than $25. If he really wanted to go all out, he could get a fleece top to go with those pj pants and I'd be competely satisfied!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Figured since you announced you were armed it's probably a better idea to let sleeping dogs lie.
Unless you had evil intentions you had nothing to worry about. However, had you been sucessful I was going to have you send me some of your cookies as your reward.
Quote:
Yep....

That does ease the burden somewhat, one of my cousins would give me several t-shirts and about the time they were worn & torn it was Christmas again.
Quote:
Back after a long hiatus...........that's what she said!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Unless you had evil intentions you had nothing to worry about. However, had you been sucessful I was going to have you send me some of your cookies as your reward.
I was successful, I just decided not to share when you started waving your gun

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I was successful, I just decided not to share when you started waving your gun
Didn't see any proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships