Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I had just gotten off of working a 10-hour shift and was standing in line at Walmart with a handful of junk food (was supposed to be my supper). A customer in front of me was taking forever getting a price check so I put my food on a shelf next to me. As soon as I did that, I heard "Is THAT what you're eating for supper?" I thought it was a joke. He asked what I was planning on making for supper, so I told him Mac N' Cheese. Turns out he was a chef and offered to cook for me. He could tell I was a little creeped out... so he even offered to take me out to dinner if I promised NOT to buy that junk food lol. I declined because I was exhausted from work and we parted ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's actually nice.

I agree, that sounds nice, not creepy. Did you decline because you were tired or because you weren't interested in him???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yeah, I'd think a lot of women would find that charming and not creepy. Hell, you'd think chefs would be swimming in it.

I just shake my head at what some women consider creepy. I guess it's tbefo be expected when women rarely do the approaching. It can be damn near impossible to think of something interesting to say to a complete stranger especially when you may have had a long day yourself, feel like you look like warmed over crap, etc. Sometimes it seems as if anything short of a romcom cliche(yet, of course, it has to be completely original) is unacceptable. I think way too many women equate awkward with creepy.
I don't think it's that terrible, I just think it's how you approach and how you speak to the woman would be how she takes it. Assuming the super straight forward "Hey baby how 'bout we go back to your place and let me pound it out." is too vulgar for her, where as approaching her, breaking the ice with a joke or commenting on something she's buying or wearing before actually asking her to coffee or dinner would be much better.

I don't know. To me I'd have to work to be creepy, but making conversations with people isn't hard for me to do.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I just shake my head at what some women consider creepy.

I guess it's to be expected when women rarely do the approaching. It can be damn near impossible to think of something interesting to say to a complete stranger
My thoughts exactly. They are mustering up the courage to talk to them and because it's not Brad Pitt "UGH! AS IF! EFF off CREEPER!"

Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I just remember this one. It's actually true, I was around 15 or so and a family friend told this to me straight faced.

He says, he see a woman he really likes and you wanna get her. You walk up to her and ask her how she likes her eggs cooked in the morning.

I wonder if this guy actually dropped that creepy/cheesy line on a woman/victim.
"How you like your eggs? Fried or fertilized?"

Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
"How you like your eggs? Fried or fertilized?"
The nerds preferences on eggs are always "unfertilized"

Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
My very attractive 19-year-old cousin had a 40-something guy ask her out on a date to the dog track. I thought that whole scene pretty sketchy.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I've had what I would call creepy encounters with people who crossed the line (co-workers, dry cleaners), but I can't really think of a pickup line that was creepy enough to remember it. I know my girlfriends and sister used to get annoyed with some of the men who would hit on me because they felt they were too forward or looked at me "the wrong way."

The most memorable approach that has stuck with me was when I was out one night with my husband. I knew I had caught a gentleman's eye when I first arrived at the restaurant/bar. At one point during the night, my husband excused himself to the men's room while I waited outdoors (waterfront restaurant). Out of nowhere, the gentleman approached me and said "I just have to tell you that you have the most beautiful smile." I replied "Thank you" and he followed with "Enjoy the rest of your evening," smiled and walked away. I was so flattered. For some reason that really stuck with me and I don't know if it was the approach, the man who did it or a combination of both.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've had what I would call creepy encounters with people who crossed the line (co-workers, dry cleaners), but I can't really think of a pickup line that was creepy enough to remember it. I know my girlfriends and sister used to get annoyed with some of the men who would hit on me because they felt they were too forward or looked at me "the wrong way."

The most memorable approach that has stuck with me was when I was out one night with my husband. I knew I had caught a gentleman's eye when I first arrived at the restaurant/bar. At one point during the night, my husband excused himself to the men's room while I waited outdoors (waterfront restaurant). Out of nowhere, the gentleman approached me and said "I just have to tell you that you have the most beautiful smile." I replied "Thank you" and he followed with "Enjoy the rest of your evening," smiled and walked away. I was so flattered. For some reason that really stuck with me and I don't know if it was the approach, the man who did it or a combination of both.
Probably cause he did it in a classy way... paid you compliment and didn't leer at you, just kept walking...... probably saw you were on a date too. IDK.

There's been times where I've a good looking woman who was well put together and I wanted to say something nice but nowadays, you never know... they might take it the wrong way.

Sorta sad when you have to second guess saying something nice to a woman for fear of offending her.....

Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've had what I would call creepy encounters with people who crossed the line (co-workers, dry cleaners), but I can't really think of a pickup line that was creepy enough to remember it.

Same here. I don't usually get what I consider pick up lines. Just slimers.

As for cold approach, Im not a fan, but earlier this evening I was walking downtown and a guy started walking in step next to me. I wasnt sure what he was doing at first, and then he said "hi." Damn if I didn't melt like a pad of butter on a hot biscuit.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
He says, he see a woman he really likes and you wanna get her. You walk up to her and ask her how she likes her eggs in the morning.
The answer, of course, is "unfertilized"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships