Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Why do I need a therapist because I am religious?
Not sure why you would think that

Did you read what I wrote to you in my longer post above?

"you need to learn and fine tune some better coping skills for the disappointments that inevitably come our way when we are dating.

There is just no reason to let the heartbreak of one romance render you so incapacitated!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
stop looking and just enjoy life. if you allow this to happen "love" will find you naturally
I'm not one to believe that love finds everyone eventually. I am keeping busy and this guy is someone I didn't know existed until I started getting busy.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Let me make a suggestion, which I sincerely hope you will take to heart.

Make an appt with a life coach or a therapist.

You could really benefit from some professional guidance to get your love life on track.

In addition, you need to learn and fine tune some better coping skills for the disappointments that inevitably come our way when we are dating.

There is just no reason to let the heartbreak of one romance render you so incapacitated!

Seriously, get some help understanding what patterns you need to break and how to break them - it will expedite the whole love thing for you

^^^^ Well said, I hope it is well heard.

I've been married for a long time. It takes a lot of work, so, it is better to weed out the weak ones before you take a walk down the aisle.

Also, make yourself more interesting so that you are more interesting to others. When you are at peace with yourself, you will have to fight them off!

Last edited by Heidi60; 09-03-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
Quote:
Not sure why you would think that

Did you read what I wrote to you in my longer post above?

"you need to learn and fine tune some better coping skills for the disappointments that inevitably come our way when we are dating.

There is just no reason to let the heartbreak of one romance render you so incapacitated!"
It's not just one it's a string of them. Guys that I liked but had no interest, guys that liked me but I had no interests, guys I dated who hurt me, guys who were freaks, etc.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
It's not just one it's a string of them. Guys that I liked but had no interest, guys that liked me but I had no interests, guys I dated who hurt me, guys who were freaks, etc.
I feel like I am talking to someone who doesn't speak English

Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Unrequited love (or like) is more common than requited love. To experience it is just part of life, everyone does. And, yes, some people are lucky and find requited love quickly and don't have to experience the unrequited repetitively, but not everyone is so lucky. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're not alone and what you feel is natural. If you feel drained you can take a break from dating and relationships to recharge but you can't totally give up.

Last edited by srjth; 09-03-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
I feel like I am talking to someone who doesn't speak English
Starting to see the problem?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
lol. I'm not going to comment here. I'd have more "You need therapy" posts than any person on this forum has received.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,362 times
Quote:
I had a string of horrible situations in my 20s and gave up dating for years while I concentrated on school (college and grad)and then my career. I then started doing online dating to no great success at all (a few very short lived situations and most others were dates). That is until I reconnected with an old friend. I originally met him when I was going through a messy breakup and at the time he was fine with being friends. We stayed friends for a few years but lost touch as time went on. I found him via Facebook, we briefly dated but then he said he didn't want a relationship. Stupidly I thought if I gave him space he would eventually come back and he never did and I was devastated. It took me more time to get over him than the time we dated. At that time I vowed no more relationships and didn't date for a year or so. However I did put a profile on Plenty Of Fish but no one good contacted me (mostly dads which I don't date). I decided this year I would search out my future husband so I tried a paid site. I met a really great guy but he lives 5 hours away and is 10 years younger. We chat via email and when he comes here (he comes for business every few months)we hang out at the mall. Other guys around my age were seeking much younger women and I was getting contacted by men older than my dad (ew gross). My membership expired and I didn't renew. I started a new profile on POF (my last one was deleted) and met one guy around my age who seemed cool but he said he felt no chemistry.

Anyway, I met a guy in June and still at the "does he like me or not" stage. He fits what I am seeking in a mate (oddly so did my last ex)and most of the guys I met online didn't. I have no way of knowing whether he's interested (I suspect he is but I'm not 100% sure)but this time have vowed that this is it. I can't go through another heartbreak like I did before. This has been my pattern of having guys not like me but guys like me I have zero interest in. I'm not ugly at all, so why this always happened no idea. Love is supposed to be wonderful not hurtful and I'd rather be alone than go through it again.

Did anyone else ever decide never again?
Yep, as I hear this bolded statement more and more, I realize more and more that being a single dad is pretty much finality.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Yep, as I hear this bolded statement more and more, I realize more and more that being a single dad is pretty much finality.
No. Single moms will date single dads and if you read this forum there are some women without children who also would date a single dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships