Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I don't have a problem. I'm trying to figure out why Kenneth here is linking these two things together.

Pre-marital sex and co-habitation before marriage are two completely different topics. His argument seems to be that if you don't live with someone, you can't have sex with them and you won't know if you are sexually compatible.
why would you be ok with pre-marital sex but not with living together?

what is the logic in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Read the thread. I said the same thing. Not wanting to live together has NOTHING to do with sex. Jeeeezz.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:50 PM

sure it does - if you live together and sleep in the same bed night after night, then sex will be an obvious occurrence.

the main 'ban' on living together before marriage is an outdated Christian belief that this is wrong.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:

I don't like to share my space with others. If I'm married it's obviously a compromise I'm willing to make because I love that person and want them in my life. If I wasn't married, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of living with someone (be it family, a roommate or a boyfriend). It's just not something I would want or see as necessary.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want a sex life though.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM

so what you are saying then is that this piece of paper, aka marriage certificate, makes you love someone more - so much so in fact that you are prepared to share your space with then?

no offense intended, but that is just nonsense.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
so what you are saying then is that this piece of paper, aka marriage certificate, makes you love someone more - so much so in fact that you are prepared to share your space with then?

No, I didn't say a marriage certificate made me love him more. I loved him which is why I wanted to marry him and why I was/am willing to share my space with him.

If I didn't love someone enough to marry them, I wouldn't want to live with them either.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
We didn't live together before getting married. It had nothing to do with sex, believe it or not. I just saw no good that could come of it, but a big glaring negative (in the form of a break up) could.

We had decided to get married. We knew each other inside and out, backwards and forwards. We knew we agreed on all the major stuff--religion, family, careers, money, etc. What was their to learn from living together, then? That he prefers to spend his off days by not getting dressed until lunch time? That I sometimes leave damp towels on the bed? If those were things that were going to cause us to break up, then we shouldn't have been engaged in the first place. And if those things weren't going to break us up, then why did we need to discover them before the wedding?

Bottom line, I didn't want to discover a reason to break up. I wanted to marry him. He wanted to marry me. We are now legally bound, and since we believe marriage is for life...we are forced to work through all the little things and not accept the daily annoyances as an excuse to call it quits.

It worked for us I will add that we were married young (22/23, just a year after college graduation), and we both came from families with rock solid marriages as examples for us. I can't say what I would have done if those variables were different, but I can say that nearly 5 years later we're still going strong

Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
sure it does - if you live together and sleep in the same bed night after night, then sex will be an obvious occurrence.

the main 'ban' on living together before marriage is an outdated Christian belief that this is wrong.
Ummm...dude...people that DON'T live together, have sex. What are you, 12? And why are you trying to make this into a religious thing?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Ah. So anyone that doesn't agree with you, is just thinking nonsense then. Right.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I expect that religious people marry for pretty much the same reasons that non-religious people do - love.

And I don't know why you think that religious folks are the ones that get married right out of high school. You have an awful lot of misconceptions.
At Brigham Young, more of the Mormon kids than not end up married before finishing college. I didn't say they don't love each other but they get married younger so they can have guilt free sex unlike normal people, who just go out and have sex when they're both ready. The highest divorce rates are in religious states like Oklahoma and Arkansas while the lowest in liberal states like Massachusetts, religious people getting married because they believe they need to is a clear factor in dysfunctional marriages that end up requiring divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships