Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

This is very hypothetical, after watching the news this morning where they had a story on about people shaving their heads for a cause (probably cancer).

After it, my wife says to me how she hopes she can do that someday. Nobody in particular, as she has no loved ones suffering from cancer at this point. Just pick some one. It got me thinking.

One of the things I find very attractive about my wife is her hair. Yet, imaging her with a shaved head, or even really short hair, doesn't seem attractive at all to me. (Her hair is about 1/2 to 2/3's down her back)

Her reasons would be noble, to show support and solidarity for somoene and their family suffering. I would also hate to be cold about not offering support to her. Yet, it would take years for her to grow it back to where it was, or even a couple years for it to grow out and be trimmed into more of a typical style.

I think it would be tough for a while, as I expect it might affect my attraction to her (despite my strong attraction to non physical aspects of her too). That seems shallow to me (and I am not sure I would feel the same if she was suffering from an illness herself, or was supporting someone close and personal to her life).

As I said, it's just a hypothetical. Was wondering how others may feel about the prospect of major and long lasting appearance changes in their significant other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is very hypothetical, after watching the news this morning where they had a story on about people shaving their heads for a cause (probably cancer).

After it, my wife says to me how she hopes she can do that someday. Nobody in particular, as she has no loved ones suffering from cancer at this point. Just pick some one. It got me thinking.

One of the things I find very attractive about my wife is her hair. Yet, imaging her with a shaved head, or even really short hair, doesn't seem attractive at all to me. (Her hair is about 1/2 to 2/3's down her back)

Her reasons would be noble, to show support and solidarity for somoene and their family suffering. I would also hate to be cold about not offering support to her. Yet, it would take years for her to grow it back to where it was, or even a couple years for it to grow out and be trimmed into more of a typical style.

I think it would be tough for a while, as I expect it might affect my attraction to her (despite my strong attraction to non physical aspects of her too). That seems shallow to me (and I am not sure I would feel the same if she was suffering from an illness herself, or was supporting someone close and personal to her life).

As I said, it's just a hypothetical. Was wondering how others may feel about the prospect of major and long lasting appearance changes in their significant other.
Because my husband and I knew each other so young and are now each over 50 and have seen some changes (duh, you would HAVE to over that span of years!) I will tell you this is no big deal

Oh, I applaud your honesty at your fear of being off put by her changed appearance, but I think in reality, you'd deal with it just fine since you love her so much

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Hair? Really? I thought we were talking something significant like face or body work (going under the knife).

Hair grows back-extremely superficial.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I think you would have no trouble at all finding your wife as attractive then as you do now and maybe even more because of the reason her appearance changed so drastically.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:

(Disclaimer: I have an attraction to women with shaved and/or bald heads.)

C24, I'm not worried that you going to make much of an issue if your wife decides to take the plunge and shave. You seem like a guy who would be able to rise above her outside appearance and remember that your lady has beauty inside that no one knows anything about looking at her outside.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
I'm all for causes, volunteering and donating money and time, which I love to do, but no way in hell I would ever shave/cut my hair for anything, unless my kids were dying.

But i have no problem with my husband shaving his head, it would grow back in a few weeks

Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Hair? Really? I thought we were talking something significant like face or body work (going under the knife).

Hair grows back-extremely superficial.
Yeah, I thought this was going to be about plastic surgery or tattoos or something but maybe I misread "long term" as "permanent".

I've cut my hair "boy-short" twice in the past (like this; http://x71.xanga.com/6f8f8af606d3527...m217924385.jpg ), it did not take years to grow back to normal length. It may take years to grown it back to mid or 2/3 down her back but that's getting a little particular, don't you think? My hair was shoulder length again about a year later (maybe a year and a half) because I then chopped it all off again!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yeah, I thought this was going to be about plastic surgery or tattoos or something but maybe I misread "long term" as "permanent".

I've cut my hair "boy-short" twice in the past (like this; http://x71.xanga.com/6f8f8af606d3527...m217924385.jpg ), it did not take years to grow back to normal length. It may take years to grown it back to mid or 2/3 down her back but that's getting a little particular, don't you think? My hair was shoulder length again about a year later (maybe a year and a half) because I then chopped it all off again!
I like that look on you.

Also, OP if your want to score some points with the wifey, I'd shave my head along with her. What better way to show your wife support Than to do the deed alongside.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 09-10-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I've been bald...my husband shaved my head after the first round of chemo. After ALL of my treatments...months later... my hair grew back. It was super blond and curly...weird since my hair hadn't been that blond since I was 8 and I've never had curly hair!

Anyway, this is what I've found...HAIR GROWS BACK. And I'm like a Chia pet when it comes to how fast it grows...lucky that way! It's weird but the bald thing bothered me a lot...not because I was vane...it's just that part of me feeling like a girl is having long pretty hair...something my husband also really liked...so I did worry about how he'd feel, how I'd feel...

Well, I've got a pretty great guy...I'm sure it was startling to him...but he never let on. And guess what? It grew back and fast, so the long-term thing you're referring to doesn't really apply. I know if I saw a bald woman who said she gave up her hair to support cancer, I'd probably give her a big obnoxious hug and thank her profusely.

My hair is pretty long now...although I chopped off about a foot of it 2 1/2 years ago to donate to Locks of Love. And guess what? It's grown out again and probably longer than before. My point is that, you will love your wife for her committment. Once the shock of the "look" fades, you will find new things to add to your "love" list. And...it'll GROW BACK.

As long as we're talking about hair, I think you'll be just fine!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
I'm pretty big on hair too and I once dated a guy with perfect hair. It was like my favorite thing about him and I don't think I would've been as attracted to him if he shaved his head or something, but I suppose I would've dealt with it. Maybe your wife can wear a wig for you until it grows back if she decides to chop it all off. I know it won't be exactly the same, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships