Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think I have a pretty good reason to be frugal.

I live in a very high COL area and I'm fresh out of college making a lower-scale salary (while trying to get a better job) and have a considerable amount of college debt. I don't have a lot of money to spare. Now buying a girl a smoothie or a coffee while we take a walk? Cool. A occasional lunch or dinner at a Orange Line hip restaurant in Virginia? Alright. Dinner or a gift every time I see you? Forget it.
This. I think some women have no clue how expensive it is for guys to date.

Hell, two movie tickets and popcorn and sodas is about $40.

While it wouldn't kill the guy to splurge every once in a while, this girl sounds like a princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This. I think some women have no clue how expensive it is for guys to date.

Hell, two movie tickets and popcorn and sodas is about $40.

While it wouldn't kill the guy to splurge every once in a while, this girl sounds like a princess.
They know how expensive it is. Some of them don't care bc they feel that if the man likes them he should be willing to spend his money.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
What?

He's a graduate student right?

His stipend may not give him much spending money, if at all. Between living costs, we have VERY little left. To us, a splurge on the weekend literally means going hungry in the middle of the week.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
My friend is currently dating a very nice guy, but she constantly complains that he always selects free events for them to attend. They visit various museums, and partake in site seeing excursions, but he never spends any direct money on her. She's not sleeping with him, but she still feels that he should buy her a gift or two and take her to a nice restaurant every once in a while.

I've advised her to leave him, but she seems reluctant, since he's so nice. Would you continue to date a nice guy who happened to be very frugal?
Tell your friend to "Seek first to understand."

There are all sorts of reasons he may be being frugal. My gosh, does she know ANYTHING about his financial situation or his life? If not, she apparently doesn't know him very well, and is therefore not at a stage in the relationship where she should feel "entitled to" gifts and having money spent on her.

Kudos to her for not sleeping with him though - it doesn't sound like they have a very deep relationship at this point so at least she's being "frugal" with sexual favors! Good on her!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:
My friend is currently dating a very nice guy, but she constantly complains that he always selects free events for them to attend. They visit various museums, and partake in site seeing excursions, but he never spends any direct money on her. She's not sleeping with him, but she still feels that he should buy her a gift or two and take her to a nice restaurant every once in a while.

I've advised her to leave him, but she seems reluctant, since he's so nice. Would you continue to date a nice guy who happened to be very frugal?
I would stop having selfish, indulged little princesses as friends.

Honestly, what a spoiled little cow expecting gifts and dinners. Does she buy him gifts and take him out for expensive meals?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I'm not frugal. But I respect that in a person, as long as it's not overboard. I don't care if a guy spends money on me as long as I'm having a good time - hell, I'm perfectly happy to do the spending. But generally, I buy what I want, and don't expect anyone to buy me anything. Life isn't about the cash and prizes, and anyone who gauges affection through material things is a bit off, in my view.

My answer with regard to dating a frugal guy would depend on the reasons for his frugality and its extent, like LM said.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
One thing I would ask this girl if I were dating her, how do you plan to spoil me on occasion? Men like to be spoiled too. Can I count on you leaning your head on my shoulder once in a while? Will you show up at my house for no other reason than wanting to spend an hour or two with me on a weeknight? Can I have you run your fingers over my head and neck sometime?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
One thing I would ask this girl if I were dating her, how do you plan to spoil me on occasion? Men like to be spoiled too. Can I count on you leaning your head on my shoulder once in a while? Will you show up at my house for no other reason than wanting to spend an hour or two with me on a weeknight? Can I have you run your fingers over my head and neck sometime?
Right on, brother.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Frugal is not the same as cheap. People who are frugal understand value. Frugal people do not have a problem spending money if they feel they are getting good value for their dollars.

The guy is cheap. (I dated one of those between husbands). Your friend would be well advised to seek out another boyfriend because he is not going to change his ways. There are lots of nice, normal guys out there. Let him find a cheap woman to be happy with.

20yrsinBranson
I don't think he is 'cheap,' based on where he lives. He currently pays 1700/ month for his place.

Also, he is a professional attorney, therefore I imagine that he does have a lot of student loans.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
I don't think he is 'cheap,' based on where he lives. He currently pays 1700/ month for his place.

Also, he is a professional attorney, therefore I imagine that he does have a lot of student loans.
If he lives in a place like DC, 1700 may not fetch much to write home about. My roommate is in a top-tier DC law school now and has a balance of student loans over six figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships