Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you mention that you're biracial? Perhaps this explains why you are so enthralled w/ black men and vice versa. Many biracial women are very much sought after for marriage/relationships by upper income black men.
Yes, but a lot of my friends that happen to be black women are with black men. And these are all college educated couples, with jobs, and with family values. The ones that are not with black men, or those that are single(and usually by choice due to graduate school and work obligations) or these women are only interested in white men... And when I used to go out with these same girls, all of us got attention, so me being biracial really IMO didn't mean that I was sought out any more than my friends--yes there were guys every now and then that were only interested in me, but for the most part I can't say that my friends(who are black women) did not get hit on or attention from educated black men when they were in situations where it was possible. But I realize that my friends don't represent all black women. However, my sister, who went to college in Boston(she went to Harvard) has many black friends from a more elite circle in many different states (she is an AKA) 90% of these black women that are engaged or in relationships are with black men of equal status. The rest are with nonblack men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Yes, but a lot of my friends that happen to be black women are with black men. And these are all college educated couples, with jobs, and with family values. The ones that are not with black men, or those that are single(and usually by choice due to graduate school and work obligations) or these women are only interested in white men... And when I used to go out with these same girls, all of us got attention, so me being biracial really IMO didn't mean that I was sought out any more than my friends--yes there were guys every now and then that were only interested in me, but for the most part I can't say that my friends(who are black women) did not get hit on or attention from educated black men when they were in situations where it was possible. But I realize that my friends don't represent all black women. However, my sister, who went to college in Boston(she went to Harvard) has many black friends from a more elite circle in many different states (she is an AKA) 90% of these black women that are engaged or in relationships are with black men of equal status. The rest are with nonblack men.
The majority of black American men have a preference for biracial women, therefore, biracial women have a larger selection of black men to choose from. Most biracial women will not encounter the same difficulties as black American women w/ respect to marrying educated/suitable black men.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
What is their skin tone? There are so called black women who look biracial due to a lot of racial mixtures in their family lineage

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
What is their skin tone? There are so called black women who look biracial due to a lot of racial mixtures in their family lineage
skin tone doesn't say much. it's not uncommon in families for one sibling to be dark skinned and the other light. same mixing but different outcome.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Well, yes, there are ample numbers of educated, family oriented black women in the U.S, especially in major metropolitan areas with thriving economies. In places like New York City & Washington DC, it's not unusual to meet a sizable number of highly educated black women with ivy league/elite credentials.
Where do you get your stats from? If by "sizeable" you're refering to 1 or 2 in a crowd of dozens or even hundreds, then maybe. Black women with Ivy League/ "elite" professional credentials are rare in any city DC and NYC included. They are by far outnumbered by the hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of those who live below the poverty line and/are low income, especially in large metropolitan areas.

But overall, there are less educated, family oriented viable black women than there are white and Asian women with the same background.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The majority of black American men have a preference for biracial women, therefore, biracial women have a larger selection of black men to choose from. Most biracial women will not encounter the same difficulties as black American women w/ respect to marrying educated/suitable black men.
The majority of black women I know that are educated happen to be with black men that are their equals, my sister has had a similar experiences. We live in different regions(me the south) her the Northeast--our friends are located in different areas. My point is that it obviously isn't difficult for every black woman to find black men with similar attributes. For some black women it is, for others it isn't.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
skin tone doesn't say much. it's not uncommon in families for one sibling to be dark skinned and the other light. same mixing but different outcome.
yeah but typically very lightskinned people are usually much more mixed than those who are very dark. features play apart as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
My friends are different skin tones--carmel, chocolate, yellow, mahagony, etc. My sisters friends comprise of a variety of skin tones as well. I will say however, that in terms of her friends, for some reason the darker black women are with white men, but there are a few friends she has(through AKA) that are darker and with elite black men.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Yep. This is on point. Even in my family, we are all different skin tones, one of my sisters is very dark, compared to me and another sister.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
My friends are different skin tones--carmel, chocolate, yellow, mahagony, etc. My sisters friends comprise of a variety of skin tones as well. I will say however, that in terms of her friends, for some reason the darker black women are with white men, but there are a few friends she has(through AKA) that are darker and with elite black men.
So basically a darkskinned black woman has to really compensate for her complexion by getting an Ivy League degree and being apart of an elite circle that only a small percentage of women in her community belong to.

Quote:
Yep. This is on point. Even in my family, we are all different skin tones, one of my sisters is very dark, compared to me and another sister
I've never seen a biracial person that is as dark as me or has my hair type and features. the darkest they get is caramel and you can still tell that they are mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships