Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

So I saw this article about Kim K and Kanye. And well I was disappointed:
News Republic: Kanye tells Kim to Lose Weight

I mean wasn't Kanye the one all over Kim. Does he really think he can transform a woman who has built a brand on being a little "trashy" into someone classy? So instead of talking about Kim/Kanye, let's talk about ourselves.

It is time for a good question, what and how much would you cange for a partner. Would you lose weight? Change your body? Change your fashion choices? Change your friends? Change your career? Something else? Nothing?

And if you have changed for a relationship, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
In the most healthy relationships, each partner motivates the other to make the best, most positive changes in themselves simply by their very presence.

There is ALWAYS room for self-improvement or spiritual and emotional growth and often our partners help us get there without any effort on their part.

But trying to be something you really are not just to please, capture or keep a mate is a road to disaster.

I would be open to changing a hairstyle or clothing style if my husband suggested it because I know he has my best interests at heart, and has good taste

But we must always be true to who we are and never let another person control that in any way.

I predict complete disaster for Kim and Kanye. Let's just hope they don't turn it into another realty show

Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I'm as is - the only changes I'd make were ones that I knew would improve me as a person. I'm working on losing weight right now, with some success, but if guy told me to do it or else, he'd be out of the picture. I'm healthy and active - beyond that, it's no one's business but mine.

And if Kanye wants Kim to lose weight, she should kick his butt to the curb. I'm not a fan, but there's nothing wrong with her weight.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In the most healthy relationships, each partner motivates the other to make the best, most positive changes in themselves simply by their very presence.

There is ALWAYS room for self-improvement or spiritual and emotional growth and often our partners help us get there without any effort on their part.

But trying to be something you really are not just to please, capture or keep a mate is a road to disaster.

I would be open to changing a hairstyle or clothing style if my husband suggested it because I know he has my best interests at heart, and has good taste

But we must always be true to who we are and never let another person control that in any way.

I predict complete disaster for Kim and Kanye. Let's just hope they don't turn it into another realty show
Well said above. I am actively trying to give up the cigs and want to because my GF does not smoke and let's face it is not a healthy activity. A great relationship is very motivating in helping us change things that we may be (Negatively) doing because we feel a part of something that is not just about us. From my personal view*, many a good woman has allowed a man to rethink certain parts of his life. The movie Crazy heart, Though fiction is an excellent portrayal of this as i can think of.

*Women have been positively affected by men too, I just have seen more men on the other end personally.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
I've already had to change a lot. I gave up my biggest hobby.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Nice question, Jade. I would not change the person I am, no. The gives and the takes of a relationship, yes.

I also would not ask someone to change for me. We cannot mold and make a person into what we would like for them to be.

As individuals, we need to look inward and see what it is that we need to change about ourselves, and until we can do this, it wont make a difference either way.

Do we both each need to lose weight? Yes. Do we both need to eat more healthily? Yes. Am I going to tell him he needs to do these things? No. Will he tell me? No. Can we work on it together, as a couple? If we are both willing. Yes.

Does he like my hair long? Yes he does, and I keep it that way for him. Otherwise, you better bet it would have been cut off long before now!

With that aspect, I am not changing myself, I am keeping myself the same. Have I ever asked him to change? I really don't think I have. I fell in love with the man he is, why would I want to change him?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Well said above. I am actively trying to give up the cigs and want to because my GF does not smoke and let's face it is not a healthy activity. A great relationship is very motivating in helping us change things that we may be (Negatively) doing because we feel a part of something that is not just about us. From my personal view*, many a good woman has allowed a man to rethink certain parts of his life. The movie Crazy heart, Though fiction is an excellent portrayal of this as i can think of.

*Women have been positively affected by men too, I just have seen more men on the other end personally.
Good luck to you in your quest to quit smoking. Do it for you first, you are worth the effort!

When we talk about "change" in our relationships, I think that it is easy to fire away without first defining terms. Are we talking about real change to a person or are we talking about minor tweaks that someone makes as a result of being with a new person? Why start a relationship with someone if you want to change them? Why not just find someone who is tailor made for you? My wife is still the same person I knew when I first met her. Not a lot about her has "changed." However, her interests in one thing or another has fluctuated. She enjoys things that I like and that she had no previous interest. Likewise I am still the same person, but have changed a few habits, mainly in allowing her to swap out some of my old clothing and replace it with items of her choosing. This has not made me a different person, just a better dressed one.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I would change little things, but not the core of who I am. And I think as far as appearances goes it's unfair for someone to ask you to change unless you've drastically changed since you started dating. You shouldn't date an overweight person and then ask them to lose weight. But if you start dating someone and they are very fit, then let themselves go...well I think that's a little different. I wouldn't be happy if my partner let himself go.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
what and how much would you cange for a partner. Would you lose weight? Change your body? Change your fashion choices? Change your friends? Change your career? Something else? Nothing?
I would change something that even I believe is wrong. If I am over weight I would try to lose weight. If my hairstyle is old fashioned I would update it if someone close to me points it out. I wont try to justify or defend my choices that are universally perceived as wrong or abnormal or unhealthy. I wont change my career if I enjoy my job & its a respectable profession that pays decent money. If the partner is trying to help you to become a better person then why not?? Take it as positive criticism & work on it. Its a team effort.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
I don't know what I'd change. If it is something petty, then I would not change it just to appease my partner. I would change it because it was my choice. However, I will always be improving myself and learning. However, I will make sure that I go for someone who likes me as I am, and yet is flexible enough to accept my "adjustments."

There are some things that I would change for my partner.

On the same token, I do not expect anyone to change a thing for me. However, there are certain things that I would like her to change for me, but those would be personality based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships