Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

734 posts, read 933,206 times

Advertisements

My friend is currently dating a very nice guy, but she constantly complains that he always selects free events for them to attend. They visit various museums, and partake in site seeing excursions, but he never spends any direct money on her. She's not sleeping with him, but she still feels that he should buy her a gift or two and take her to a nice restaurant every once in a while.

I've advised her to leave him, but she seems reluctant, since he's so nice. Would you continue to date a nice guy who happened to be very frugal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
My friend is currently dating a very nice guy, but she constantly complains that he always selects free events for them to attend. They visit various museums, and partake in site seeing excursions, but he never spends any direct money on her. She's not sleeping with him, but she still feels that he should buy her a gift or two and take her to a nice restaurant every once in a while.

I've advised her to leave him, but she seems reluctant, since he's so nice. Would you continue to date a nice guy who happened to be very frugal?
Why is he frugal?

Is he maybe putting himself through graduate school and has to budget every penny?

Does he have a lot of student loan debt and has little fun money to spare?

Is he supporting an elderly relative?

Does he give all his money away to charity and therefore lives very simply?

Being frugal can be a very good indicator of character. I would not discard a good man for being frugal if his reasons for frugality are justified.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
She is getting his time, which in my opinion, is much more valuable than money.

Your friend is a dope. You are correct in your advice though....she needs to dump him so he can find a girl who will appreciate what he has to offer.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,772 times
Quote:

Why does he need to buy her gifts? Like Love said, there could be various reasons why the man is frugal. Your friend should inquire.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
No. I can't stand someone like that. There's a fine line between saving and being cheap. I notice most men don't know the difference...I had an uncle like that and after awhile it becomes an annoyance: "no don't order that! it's too expensive" etc. etc. In which case I'd rather just pay for my own food or whatever and have peace of mind.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
How much has she spent on him? What has she given him? Lazy entitled princess. He is better off without her

Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
If she's in it for the presents, it's him who should dump her. Of course I don't condone being cheap, but men are not Santa Claus.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM

826 posts, read 1,894,435 times
Quote:

Nope.
Typically, when a guy likes you, he wouldn't mind spending on you. Part of it is that he wants to impress you and make you happy. The other part is that it taps into their provider instinct.
Usually, when I hear about a guy not spending money on a girl, it usually doesn't bode well for the future of the relationship.
I mean, even teenagers as broke as they are, usually find a way to buy a burger and fries for their girlfriend. How much more a grown man???

Hail Naw

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,160,538 times
I think more info is needed to make a good judgement call here - Like love asked, why is he frugal? It really does make a difference.

Doll Eyes also has a good point though - there is a fine line. I had a cousin who was married to a very "cheap" guy - he wasn't just frugal (which I don't have an issue with whatsoever) but completely absurdly cheap, to the point that no one really wanted to be around him because it became his identity and was so annoying.

I think being frugal is a good thing, being overly cheap isn't. I'd like to know what his reasons are for being frugal, and if it is or isn't actually just being plain cheap.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:

Hmm! I agree with the nice meal every now and again but gifts for dating? Sounds shallow and entitled.

Having said that, I bought my wife a gift while we were on our first date BUT it was an all-day event and we'd already been friends for five years. Otherwise it wouldn't have occurred to me.

As for you, I wouldn't offer any advice. It could be wrong and is a slippery slope at best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships