U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,460,840 times

Advertisements

Doing the approaching, starting conversations, flirting, small-talk, asking out, overall, initiating the steps in order to land a date and relationship, pursuing, chasing, etc.?

People always argue, say this all the time but they never bother to explain specifically why, they always say "Because your a Man, thats part of being a Man", seriously, why is it the way it is? where is the logic in it? Is it Biology, Evolution, in DNA, Genetics, as to why men the overwhelming vast majority of the time have to be the one to do the initiating? or is it a Social Construct, Society-Thing, Culture-Thing?

Why is taking charge, taking control, going after what you want and making things happen part of being Masculine, part of being a Man? who or what made that rule, standard, expectation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM

24,629 posts, read 26,063,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Doing the approaching, starting conversations, flirting, small-talk, asking out, overall, initiating the steps in order to land a date and relationship, pursuing, chasing, etc.?

People always argue, say this all the time but they never bother to explain specifically why, they always say "Because your a Man, thats part of being a Man", seriously, why is it the way it is? where is the logic in it? Is it Biology, Evolution, in DNA, Genetics, as to why men the overwhelming vast majority of the time have to be the one to do the initiating? or is it a Social Construct, Society-Thing, Culture-Thing?

Why is taking charge, taking control, going after what you want and making things happen part of being Masculine, part of being a Man? who or what made that rule, standard, expectation?
I don't know who you're hanging around with, but I make the first move whenever I'm interested.
Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I get turned down.

Who is forcing you to do anything?
And why do it if you're simply resentful, women pick up on that.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM

14,777 posts, read 15,219,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post

People always argue, say this all the time but they never bother to explain specifically why, they always say "Because your a Man, thats part of being a Man", seriously, why is it the way it is? where is the logic in it? Is it Biology, Evolution, in DNA, Genetics, as to why men the overwhelming vast majority of the time have to be the one to do the initiating?
Biology, take the class.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,953,927 times
You don't see lionesses hitting on the lions.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM

87,914 posts, read 81,768,483 times
Not this topic, again! It depend on how you define "first move". Women do a LOT of first-move-making. Approaching, flirting, or chatting, smiling, sometimes even asking the guy out. I saw a news magazine report, something like 60-Minutes years ago, where they asked quite a few couples who had made the first move, who had gotten the ball rolling, the man or the woman (these were married couples). Everyone admitted the woman gave out the first signals. And if those signals weren't noticed, they persisted, and upped the ante until the guy got the message. "Upping the ante" sometimes included being the first to ask the other out.

Really, this thing about "You have to make the first move because you're the man" sounds like something guys' mothers tell them. Real life isn't always like that. Life is a mixed bag.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No, but it's the lioness who is the hunter. She's the one who brings home the meat, and if you don't think that would attract a hungry lion's attention--a lioness with good hunting skills--you might want to rethink the whole thing.

The way to a lion's heart is through his stomach.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 PM

24,629 posts, read 26,063,389 times
Quote:
Oh good, now we're in the wild.
Do you really want women to be passive.
That's a great relationship in the making.
Real great.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, yesterday, some guy used the cattle analogy in relation to feminism, or something, and likened women to cows. So at least Y-J didn't stoop that low. I don't mind lioness so much; they're smart, sleek and athletic, as well as being nurturing of their young. Not bad, not bad at all.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,953,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Do you really want women to be passive.
That's a great relationship in the making.
Real great.
I never said I did. I just didn't notice if lionesses did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, but it's the lioness who is the hunter. She's the one who brings home the meat, and if you don't think that would attract a hungry lion's attention--a lioness with good hunting skills--you might want to rethink the whole thing.

The way to a lion's heart is through his stomach.
My partner knows the way to my heart is to be quiet when I'm doing something. She still disregards it. Also I would never refer to any woman as a cow. Perhaps a female parent, a Moo.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
My partner knows the way to my heart is to be quiet when I'm doing something. She still disregards it. Also I would never refer to any woman as a cow. Perhaps a female parent, a Moo.
Well, I was only speaking about lions (and lionesses). Personally, I think the way to a man's heart is through a completely different part of his anatomy (what's the stomach got to do with it?), but...that's just me, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships