Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times

Advertisements

I don't get it.

To me, trust and love are two sides of the same coin. You don't get one without the other.

If I make the choice to love someone it goes without saying I have decided to trust them.

I have been in 3 real committed relationships in my life and I trusted them all with my life. Otherwise, it just doesn't get that far in the first place.

Yes, I consciously take a risk. I choose to run to love and life and the risk of being hurt. The alternative is having a safe, dull, boring, lonely and sad life. I'd rather experience all I can while I'm here even if it ends in tears.

Sometimes it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't trust anyone 100% to be honest. All the best intentions can fly out the window under certain circumstances to I just HOPE for the best and don't worry about the rest.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Unconditional love is like absolute freedom. It almost never exists in reality.

Would you still love your beloved if he/she killed your mother?

I rest my case.

Nobody shares 100% with anyone else; if so you might as well be the same person. Mystery is part of life. Surprises make a person more interesting. If they were a total open book we'd get bored of them.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I rest my case.

Nobody shares 100% with anyone else; if so you might as well be the same person. Mystery is part of life. Surprises make a person more interesting. If they were a total open book we'd get bored of them.
The connection between "Unconditional love" and 100% trust is what exactly? Is your inference that one equals or can't exist without the other?

Last edited by Baldrick; 09-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: To tell you all about my lovely cup of tea.. why else?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Some people do have that sort of bond.

I know I rubbish the hell out of my ex but in the early years we did. Even now I still know if something really terrible happened to me like a coma or something, he would be at my bedside like a faithful old dog. I know he never cheated on me or even thought about it.

It is such a close bond that sleeping with a third party would be like taking an ax to your partner. It just doesn't cross your mind. There is no temptation in the world worth risking the bliss and perfection you have at home.

It does exist. If you are lucky enough to find your literal "other half" then you have no interest in anyone else, no matter how attractive they may be. It's called "being in love". You are in your own little world for two and no one else really comes into it at all.
+1.

Doll is right too. Nobody knows for certain whether their spouse/SO is being as faithful as we think they are.

That is why it is called trust, and not certainty.

Yet, what I think some dismiss is that we can have a reasonable certainty in something. Take cheating. If we have a great relationship like MsAnnThorpe, we would be reasonably certain our SO was faithful. That our trust was not misplaced. Why? The overall relationship. People will start to show signs of "cheating" through their actions, words, reactions, etc.

I mean, we don't live in a vacumn when in a relationship. We see and interact with our SO a lot. Especially in a marriage situation.

So as a relationship develops, and we find we are not able to trust them in things like being faithful, why would we continue the relationship? There would be no reason to get too emotionally attached, because lacking trust should motivate ourselves to protect our own heart.

Looking at it the other way, I know my wife trusts me. It is up to me to honor and respect that trust by following through and earning it. I would not think of cheating. I would not do or act in ways which could even cause suspicion.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

I would trust him even if he worked as a driver for a brothel, if I loved him.

^^ that's essentially the problem in my mind. If you have to be willing to take it to that point, beyond reason, then forget it then.

I think the point is that I would trust him because of who he IS, which in this example is NOT a driver for a brothel. Or whatever other characteristics one might deem untrustworthy.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
oh. I meant the last part. Makes no sense to be trusting someone to the point where you beleive you can throw them in any situation and nothing will change simply because you 'trust' him.
I am not sure what you mean by "nothing will change". I am of the opinion that becoming romantic with someone in the hopes that they will change is a bad idea. If the person has demonstrated untrustworthiness in the past in whatever situation he is in, as implied by the changed comment, thejn trusting him or her is indeed foolhardy.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Some people do have that sort of bond.

I know I rubbish the hell out of my ex but in the early years we did. Even now I still know if something really terrible happened to me like a coma or something, he would be at my bedside like a faithful old dog. I know he never cheated on me or even thought about it.

It is such a close bond that sleeping with a third party would be like taking an ax to your partner. It just doesn't cross your mind. There is no temptation in the world worth risking the bliss and perfection you have at home.

It does exist. If you are lucky enough to find your literal "other half" then you have no interest in anyone else, no matter how attractive they may be. It's called "being in love". You are in your own little world for two and no one else really comes into it at all.
I can't rep' you, apparently I agree with more than one thing you've said and the CD 'gods' don't believe that to be possible. . I owe you a rep.
Anyway... Your dead right, absolutely spot on.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
I don't get it.

To me, trust and love are two sides of the same coin. You don't get one without the other.

If I make the choice to love someone it goes without saying I have decided to trust them.

I have been in 3 real committed relationships in my life and I trusted them all with my life. Otherwise, it just doesn't get that far in the first place.

Yes, I consciously take a risk. I choose to run to love and life and the risk of being hurt. The alternative is having a safe, dull, boring, lonely and sad life. I'd rather experience all I can while I'm here even if it ends in tears.

Sometimes it is worth it.
I agree as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I rest my case.

Why on earth would my husband kill my mother? I think this scenario almost never exists in reality...
Your case makes no sense but it's okay if you want to rest it.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,520 times
You can never trust anyone 100%, never. If you do, you might have some growing up left to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships