Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

A woman with a list of problems and drama.
This is overwhelming.

A woman that can't talk intelligently about other things, besides their relationships .
She's too preoccupied with these things.

Women with a long secret history.

They often assume the guy should be more understanding for all she's gone through .
He knows nothing about.

Women anxious to get serious about a relationship too soon.
Guys wonder if she's pregnant or some over due debt .

A woman unskilled in areas relevant to his life, and unwilling to learn.
Have no common ground to relate issues with.

Too agreeable.
One does not know what she really thinks.

Too argumentative ,
Just for the sake of having an opinion, they really don't believe in. (except at the moment)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting theory. The only people I've hard attribute the term "intimidating" to women have been men.

This forum is different from others where I've seen this topic discussed. The guys on other forums all agree it's a woman's looks; if she's really pretty, at the least, or both pretty and curvy, they freeze, so they say. They become incapable of speech.
Strange.

I've been told I'm "intimidating" but I in no way shape or form put it up as some kind of defense mechanism. I don't do anything. If someone is threatened by me...that's their own PERSONAL issue.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Strange.

I've been told I'm "intimidating" but I in no way shape or form put it up as some kind of defense mechanism. I don't do anything. If someone is threatened by me...that's their own PERSONAL issue.
I'm told I have a intimidating personality at times.

(((Shrugs)))

Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Strange.

I was going to say the exact same thing!!!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I'm kind of the opposite, never been told I'm intimidating. By anyone. At least that I know of. Then again, I'm a bit of a friendly goofball who tends to be called "approachable" (not just by men, I get tourists, kids, everyone).

I wonder if those of you who are called intimidating are either really good looking or very intelligent (the things I would think would intimidate others if they feel they can't compare).

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I've been told by more than a handful of guys that I'm intimidating, but I think it's a crock. There's nothing intimidating about me...I'm quiet, soft-spoken for the most part, book-ish, and definitely on the shy/introverted side until I get to know someone well.

What exactly does it mean when a guy says he's intimidated by a woman? Is it her demeanor? Appearance? What? I see that mentioned a lot here, usually in regards to a guy not wanting to approach a woman.
Men don't approach women pretty much for the only reason that they don't have confidence they won't get rejected.

So do you come off as someone that is going to reject them?

You're very pretty with a nice smile. That can't be it.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
I've been told that, yes. On many occasions. The majority of the men I met or dated stated they would have been too intimidated to approach me in-person. Some were still intimidated after interacting or meeting. I don't know why. Lol. I'm not particularly menacing or terrifying.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:13 PM

68 posts, read 37,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've been told that, yes. On many occasions. The majority of the men I met or dated stated they would have been too intimidated to approach me in-person. Some were still intimidated after interacting or meeting. I don't know why. Lol. I'm not particularly menacing or terrifying.
sounds to me like you are so good looking that it takes time for them to get comftorable around you.

Last edited by lipsydavis; 01-19-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1end View Post
I'll speak to you direct.

I'm a man that approaches a lot of women. Mostly on the street.

When I see a woman who is the "bookish type", I am immediately put off of approaching her.

And that isn't from a prejudice. It's from experience.

Those sorts of women are more logical. When I approach them, they start to actually question the approach!

That makes the whole thing akward, and it makes it far harder to just have fun with her.

I've experienced it over and over again.

I'm actually quite fond of introverts, as I am one myself. But introvert girls are usually logical, and feminist, which is a turn off.

I have found that the girls with "the looks" are just far more fun to approach. That is mostly because they are used to being approached by strangers. Whether on the street, or in the club.

I'm quite willing to get over the hump of more introverted women being approached. But it seems like they aren't!

Don't always blame the guys. Some of us are trying
Interesting.

So... what if the woman has "the looks," and appears bookish, introverted, logical, etc.? Take your chances anyway?

Does "bookish" mean plain Jane or Molly Ringwald in 80s movies? I understand bookish to refer to specific traits/interests, etc., but the first image to come to mind is a librarian.

I can assure you dudes weren't thinking I look bookish, according to the way you're using it. They certainly weren't sizing up specific personality traits or other qualities and traits before approaching or asking me for my number. My being bookish did not deter them at all. And being approached wasn't bothersome, I just wasn't interested or available.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Sometimes, some women are intimidating because they can be stuck up ice princess. Just like in those high school movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships