Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I don't think you are.
nope, not even a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
No woman is intimidating. That's just some self defense mechanism women make up whenever a guy isn't into them.
Interesting theory. The only people I've hard attribute the term "intimidating" to women have been men.

This forum is different from others where I've seen this topic discussed. The guys on other forums all agree it's a woman's looks; if she's really pretty, at the least, or both pretty and curvy, they freeze, so they say. They become incapable of speech.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM

112 posts, read 66,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
No woman is intimidating. That's just some self defense mechanism women make up whenever a guy isn't into them.
You do have a point. There are some women that are just plain unpleasant, and come up with the excuse "men can't handle me", when the truth is that people just don't want to.

You also say "No woman is intimidating". I have to agree. In reality, no woman is.

The real problem is that we are projecting our own insecurities onto others.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you know they're really intelligent, educated and successful when you're only meeting them for the first time? Does their T-shirt say so? or do you often meet well-known scholars of businesswomen whose reputation precedes them?

Just wondering how it works.
I ski and sail. I've traditionally been the senior technical guy in a metro-Boston high tech startup. I encounter professional and executive women all the time both in my leisure activities and professionally. Surgeons. Corporate lawyers. Venture capitalists. Investment bankers. Corporate execs. Everybody is on LinkedIn so you know their academic and career credentials.

When I meet someone like that who is single and I'm attracted to them, I'm too intimidated to do anything about it. I've spent my whole life first in the academic world and then in corporate competing to be the best. When I meet someone and their credentials blow mine out of the water, it triggers my insecurity.

I can't be the only person where this happens. I think something like this had a lot to do with the Presidential election results. Men have a tough time with smart, successful women. Men can accept another male who is better than they are at something because it happens all the time in sports.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I can't be the only person where this happens. I think something like this had a lot to do with the Presidential election results. Men have a tough time with smart, successful women. Men can accept another male who is better than they are at something because it happens all the time in sports.
Has someone mentioned "projection" yet on this thread?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
There is a lid for every pot. Growing up and getting your life together, for those who choose to do so, can do wonders, and it's not limited to the area of dating. I would think that a man is intimidated by a woman's looks (genetic lottery) or the money she makes, however I think he would find a way to deal with both? Stop being a competition with each other and learn to be a team.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Women are not intimidating. You may be afraid of approaching her because she's awesome (intelligence, looks, career), and you don't want to mess up, but you're probably not "scared" of her.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I've been told by more than a handful of guys that I'm intimidating, but I think it's a crock. There's nothing intimidating about me...I'm quiet, soft-spoken for the most part, book-ish, and definitely on the shy/introverted side until I get to know someone well.

What exactly does it mean when a guy says he's intimidated by a woman? Is it her demeanor? Appearance? What? I see that mentioned a lot here, usually in regards to a guy not wanting to approach a woman.
In my opinion it is a complement. When I have been told this it is because it means the person is aware I am not going to put up with any nonsense and I am not desperate. A.K.A. So one who caries themselves like giggling little nitwit that can be easily manipulated. It also suggests that they care enough about what you think that they don't want to make a bad impression.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

The two candidates in this past election had radically different agendas. Only the very least secure of men could be intimidated in to voting for a woman they disagree with just by threatening to accuse him of being intimidated by strong women if he doesn't. Ironically the only men your argument could possibly persuade are the men who are even less secure than you are accusing them of being.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1end View Post
You do have a point. There are some women that are just plain unpleasant, and come up with the excuse "men can't handle me", when the truth is that people just don't want to.

You also say "No woman is intimidating". I have to agree. In reality, no woman is.

The real problem is that we are projecting our own insecurities onto others.
Yes! There are some women that guys don't just don't want to be around! Its not just women, some men are like that too. Then when a guy does try, he will get rejected because "she is too much to handle" for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships