Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
I've noticed that a lot of men don't seem to know how to show their interest in a woman. They are either too passive and fearful, or too obnoxious and in your face.

I find it so frustrating meeting men who seem like they have no idea how to approach a woman in a respectful way to let her know that he is interested in getting to know her. It's so hard to meet people, and some men say that they'd welcome a woman initiating contact with them. So I've tried this, but I'm finding that it doesn't work. Most men do not respond appropriately.

Sometimes I will spot a man whom I find attractive, who's not wearing a wedding ring (not that means anything, but it's a start), and smile and say hello, hoping to initiate a pleasant conversation. Most men seem to fall into one of two camps, 1) the majority who seem unable to seize the opportunity and conduct a normal conversation that leads to an exchange of phone numbers, or 2) the rest who respond in an obnoxious way, glancing at my chest, and dropping sexual hints.

Years ago, men had no problem approaching women respectfully, talking to them, and asking them out for a date.

What is going on nowadays? It was never this complicated 25-30 years ago. What happened to the simple art of flirting? In the past that was how you met each other if there was no one to introduce you.
It's very simple and easy.

Some men are doing just "that". It's just women got more stupid (er not thinking) and doesn't see it for what it is.

I'd rather have a guy tell and show me what he is good, or best at, than be crude and rude in a perverted kind of way. Often the guys with the smoothest lines aren't good at ANYTHING but running "game" and nailing tail.

Oh...he'll stick around for a long time. He's a smooooooooooth operator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Our culture mixes up flirting with harassment.
This reasoning ("excuse") doesn't hold. Men were inept before the concept of sexual harassment gained currency. There have always been shy guys, since time immemorial. There have always been sleazes. What's mystifying, is that some of the decent guys, even those who are clearly trying to catch a woman's attention, can't seem to close the deal; they don't introduce themselves, they get tongue-tied or paralyzed.

However, to be fair, I wonder if the art of flirting has been lost in America in general. Is this an issue in Europe? I had the impression it wasn't. Flirting seems to be awkward for a lot of people in the US, though.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This reasoning ("excuse") doesn't hold. Men were inept before the concept of sexual harassment gained currency. There have always been shy guys, since time immemorial. There have always been sleazes. What's mystifying, is that some of the decent guys, even those who are clearly trying to catch a woman's attention, can't seem to close the deal; they don't introduce themselves, they get tongue-tied or paralyzed.

However, to be fair, I wonder if the art of flirting has been lost in America in general. Is this an issue in Europe? I had the impression it wasn't. Flirting seems to be awkward for a lot of people in the US, though.
Not so with me. The deal is already closed.......waiting on her to make up her mind.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I'd argue that women have become less approachable as the years have gone by. The ones who aren't staring at a glowing screen tend to either scowl or otherwise wear blank expressions. I get the feeling that back in the day women used to meet men halfway when it comes to flirting. Maybe back before everything was so hypersexual flirting could be enjoyed for its own sake. I think it was common to flirt with no solid intention of persuing anything further. Nowadays, in an ironic twist flirting is seen as a much bigger deal than it used to be while casual sex is less so.

Anyway, flirting, and conversation in general, is like tennis. You can be the best flirter in the world and the game will still suck if your "opponent" can't flirt worth a damn or puts forth no effort. I don't think a lot of women realize this and expect men to initiate and carry the entire process.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,650 times
Quote:

Many relationships were arranged for a long time.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
no men have lost the art of leaping before looking.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Men who truly like women are great at flirting. You can just...feel it. It's delicious, harmless and very, very natural. And they're definitely out there. Great flirting is great fun. It's a dance, the best kind...IMO.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no men have lost the art of leaping before looking.
Oh no they haven't.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I don't think a lot of women realize this and expect men to initiate and carry the entire process.
What about all the women who initiate and get nowhere, even if they see the guy smiling at them? People here say women don't initiate, but then they contradict themselves by saying that the really good-looking guys, or the guys with money, are constantly being approached by women. Women initiate. But they do expect a guy to be able to carry his side of a conversation. Is that too much to ask?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
What about all the women who initiate and get nowhere, even if they see the guy smiling at them? People here say women don't initiate, but then they contradict themselves by saying that the really good-looking guys, or the guys with money, are constantly being approached by women. Women initiate. But they do expect a guy to be able to carry his side of a conversation. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, one sided flirting is so much more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships