Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post

Last, there is no such thing as a Napoleon Complex, unless you also want to belive that there is Angry Black Woman Syndrome, Dumb Blonde Syndrome, and Penis Envy by women. It is a stereotype, a pejoritve and derogatory, and Tall Men can be just as domineering, cocky, bossy and in your face. Taller men (esp in the workplace) should not be given a free pass on this because of the social acceptance that Tall Men are "allowed" (and even championed) for acting in a certain way, while short men are not allowed to behave in the same manner.
It's not a matter of Tall Men (not sure why it's capitalized like that, but whatever) being "allowed" to act a certain way. I used the term Napoleon Complex because that's the term one uses when a person's personality is affected by what he/she perceives as his/her flaws. If you're offended by that term, I don't know what to tell you.

(I almost used "shortcomings" instead of "flaws" but I'd hate to be called a Height Bigot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM

499 posts, read 756,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
It's not a matter of Tall Men (not sure why it's capitalized like that, but whatever) being "allowed" to act a certain way. I used the term Napoleon Complex because that's the term one uses when a person's personality is affected by what he/she perceives as his/her flaws. If you're offended by that term, I don't know what to tell you.

(I almost used "shortcomings" instead of "flaws" but I'd hate to be called a Height Bigot)
You're not "telling" me anything. You're suggesting that his personality is "affected" by his height. That's no different than calling a "Black Woman" angry because she's black, telling a woman she is a "B*tch" and has "Penis Envy" because she works around men and competes hard because of it, or using any pejorative based on stereotypical ancedotes.

That "term" is not medically accepted and is folklore. If a Tall Man acted the same way, you would not attribute it to his height. You'd just say he was a jerk. You don't know that the short guy sees his height as a "flaw", you're assuming that. And being short is a "perceived" flaw to you because you are making the claim.

And yes, that makes you a Height Bigot.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
That's usually how it works. People do not take Height Bigotry seriously, except in Massachussets where it is outlawed in the workplace.
Height bigotry? Oh please

I've been discriminated against plenty for being a really tall woman. I've been called every name in the book and as a joke one of the guys at an airport I worked with had me down as a 'male' because I was too big to be a chick. I've been called a tranny, been accused of being a drag queen and everything in between.

People are rude and disrespectful but they're not 'height bigots'

Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Height bigotry? Oh please

I've been discriminated against plenty for being a really tall woman. I've been called every name in the book and as a joke one of the guys at an airport I worked with had me down as a 'male' because I was too big to be a chick. I've been called a tranny, been accused of being a drag queen and everything in between.

People are rude and disrespectful but they're not 'height bigots'
Height Bigotry exists, don't deny it. You're on the receiving end of it too at times. Don't try to trivialize it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Height Bigotry exists, don't deny it. You're on the receiving end of it too at times. Don't try to trivialize it.
Sure I am, but it's not bigotry.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
You're not "telling" me anything. You're suggesting that his personality is "affected" by his height. That's no different than calling a "Black Woman" angry because she's black, telling a woman she is a "B*tch" and has "Penis Envy" because she works around men and competes hard because of it, or using any pejorative based on stereotypical ancedotes.

That "term" is not medically accepted and is folklore. If a Tall Man acted the same way, you would not attribute it to his height. You'd just say he was a jerk. You don't know that the short guy sees his height as a "flaw", you're assuming that. And being short is a "perceived" flaw to you because you are making the claim.

And yes, that makes you a Height Bigot.

If a Tall Man told me that he felt insecure because of his height, as my exboyfriend did, then yes I would have.

Obviously it wasn't a perceived flaw to me since I dated the guy.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Funny your name is Bob.

Relax. So is mine.

Her behavior is inappropriate. She's a b-otch and you wouldn't have liked her anyway.

And Napoleon would have gone for chicks taller than himself. You the man!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Bigot - person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

Short Guys have Napoleon Complexes = Stereotype = Toward Group (society sees short men as a group and tall men as individuals). Tall men don't get the Napoleon Stereotype even if they possess the same character attributes = prejudice, own opinion, lack of tolerance.

She calls them annoying becuase of acting out because of some "perceived flaw" = opinion.

That would make her a Height Bigot

Jet, you can deny that for yourself, but that pretty much sums it up. Yes, it is Height Bigotry.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Bigotry exists in all forms. Some worse than others!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
If a Tall Man told me that he felt insecure because of his height, as my exboyfriend did, then yes I would have.

Obviously it wasn't a perceived flaw to me since I dated the guy.
Yeah, but that Tall Guy would need to tell you that he was insecure about his height. You just naturally assumed the Short Guy was insecure about his height because of his personality. That is again a stereotype, so yeah, you're a Height Bigot lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships