Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

How many times a day do you get messaged by someone you actually would want to talk to?

I keep suggesting to my sister to try it.

The impression i get about the sites is that women don't even really have to do any actual WORK as far as messaging people. They just have to put up a few pics and write a profile description, sit back for 3 weeks or so and let the suitors come rolling in. Is this accurate? Of course i would imagine you have to weed through a lot of creepers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Not often and when I did it was either the comments like "you're hot" or guys not my type.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
How many times a day do you get messaged by someone you actually would want to talk to?

I keep suggesting to my sister to try it.

The impression i get about the sites is that women don't even really have to do any actual WORK as far as messaging people. They just have to put up a few pics and write a profile description, sit back for 3 weeks or so and let the suitors come rolling in. Is this accurate? Of course i would imagine you have to weed through a lot of creepers.
I was curious about this very same thing. I talked to one of my cute female friends and she gave me access to her online dating profile.

She usually got about 20-30 messages a day. Out of them, about half were well-written....with about 5 from good-looking guys with well-written profiles.

She rarely responded to anything and I got bored of it too after checking for a few days. I think this is how the vast majority of attractive girls deal with online dating.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
or guys not my type.
Ummm.......get a new type?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I rarely got messages (maybe 5 a week?) and I think there were a total of 5 men that I responded to and actually held some semblance of a conversation with. Most of the messages I received were obviously from men who wanted a hookup (they were generic and contained 'questions' that were easily answered if they just glanced at my profile) and none of them led to an actual meeting. It was a bit easier when I was in my early 20s, but I'm nearing 30 and it seems I'm over the hill.

I deleted my profile after a few months this time around. Not worth it.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
I'm guessing that they're inundated with requests for sex written with poor grammar and spelling, so it's little wonder they don't respond to legitimate messages.

Last edited by Inebriated Duck; 10-01-2012 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Irony.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm guessing that their inundated with requests for sex written with poor grammar and spelling, so it's little wonder they don't respond to legitimate messages.
Some of the come-ons were more clever than others....but 90% of my responses were also looking for hookups too. The more clever people would actually use something from my profile as part of their message. Mostly there would be some comment like "nice lips, can't wait to kiss you!"

Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Ummm.......get a new type?
No would rather be alone.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Some of the come-ons were more clever than others....but 90% of my responses were also looking for hookups too. The more clever people would actually use something from my profile as part of their message. Mostly there would be some comment like "nice lips, can't wait to kiss you!"
Yep, pretty much. Some guys are getting pretty clever, and they know if they string you along long enough they might get some action, so they pretend to be interested. I gave my number out to this guy I'd been talking to nearly daily on one of those sites for about 3 weeks. Felt it was time to get on the phone and things were going well. He immediately sends me a nude picture and then gets mad at me for 'stringing him along'. My bad, I wanted a DATE, not a picture of your genitals.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Even the religious sites were bad. I was chatting with this one guy for several months and it seemed like he wanted to get married. Then he started asking me questions about my body and requesting nude photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships