Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Interesting. I always thought that Italian men were the one group of American variety White guys that would date American Black women and dare someone to say something about it. They just don't seem easily intimidated. That's just my perception though.
IMO, Italian American men (not Italian men born and raised in Italy) tend to be VERY racist. Let's not confuse the fact that many of them are willing to date and have sex with Black women with them being willing to marry Black women. Yes, there are exceptions and those are usually the Italian Americans who come from a more educated background.

The vast majority of Italian Americans are descended from immigrants who came from the uneducated peasantry and underclass of Italy, not from the bourgeoise and the nobility. However, Italian born and raised men tend to have a different perspective. You see many Italian men in Italy who are married to African, Caribbean and Black American women in Italy.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
A few times. There are more racist people than you think. Who cares. Move on to the next one.

It is mostly the Caucasians that are racist. They must be jeolous of other races that came later in this country and are doing well.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
I've actually never been rejected for my racial background. They are intrigued by it.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Most of your probably won't know if you are rejected based on race. It is like getting rejected for a job offer based on race but you won't know.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is very much the perspective of those who come from an uneducated, working class, immigrant family background which is predominant on the east coast. When I hear people say things like this, I am always reminded of the types of people who are on Mob Wives, RHONJ and Jersey Shore.
Please don't call my fathers side of the family uneducated, because they are clearly not. There's not a person since coming from the United states through Ellis Island that didn't have a college degree. I think you're stereotyping alot of italians from dumb shows which feature them. I never liked mob movies because of how they depict Italian people. Most Italian people are very hard working good people who are probably more family oriented than any other ethnicity.

I do agree many Italians are racist just as many Irish, many blacks, many puerto ricans and on and on. Such is life.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM

499 posts, read 756,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corazon12 View Post
I don't mean to make this a divisive or combative thread. But I live in a large, diverse city and was recently told by a woman, "You are super sweet but I only date Hispanic men." She is Hispanic herself.

Please note that I am not trying to single out Hispanics as I know full well there are plenty of white (non-hispanics) that will not date anyone except another white person. This was more prevalent in past decades but it still persists....

And I get that everyone has their tastes and preferences.

For the record, I am a white (non-hispanic) guy and I have dated all kinds of ladies (white, black, asian, latina, etc). I might have preferences (dark brunettes of any race) but I NEVER rule out a person based on their race or ethnicity (or hair color for that matter).

Are people with strict racial/ethnic or even religious based rules for dating close minded and not worth it anyway?
Yes I have, shouldn't matter. I date what I like, not what people tell me I should like.

Like you can like every race but rule out fat, short, missing teeth, certain hair colors.......

I can rule out certain skin colors, but include fat, short, tall, imperfect teeth and all hair colors

In dating/sexual selection you choose what you like, not what others think you should like.

Doesn't make me wrong, or make you right.

Different strokes, different folks.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I have never had anyone say to me "I don't date black women," but on a dating site like Match.com for instance, I have felt rejected when I would see a profile that I liked and in the section where the guy lists what race he wanted his match to be, he would pretty much list every race other than Black. I've seen that many times...even a few guys who sent me messages had excluded black women from their list.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Um, never...don't you know, we live in a post-racial society and have a black president.**

**For the slow ones, this post contains sarcasm.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Yah...my wives grandmother rejected me - They were old anglos...My parents were Russians...When I had children with her grand daughter ....the old lady rejected them...because "They are another breed" ANOTHER - incident....... Same can be said of a rich family with a Scottish heritage..They did not like the idea of me marrying into the family..because I was Russian (Slav)...they considered me of a lower cast or something..I was blonde and blue eyed- but I was NOT of their exclusive tribe...it's not just skin color.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM

499 posts, read 756,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have never had anyone say to me "I don't date black women," but on a dating site like Match.com for instance, I have felt rejected when I would see a profile that I liked and in the section where the guy lists what race he wanted his match to be, he would pretty much list every race other than Black. I've seen that many times...even a few guys who sent me messages had excluded black women from their list.
I do this (I say I prefer Hispanic, White women) , but it's no different than women who have in huge black bold letters that say, "If you are under 5'9, do not contact me". If someone is rejecting you due to something you have no control over and can't change, the feeling can be a bit hurtful.

.................. But you get over it

Because it's better to find someone who likes you for you and you wouldn't want to waste time with someone who isn't interested in you anyway.

You are entitled to have your likes, and others are entitled to have their own likes.

But for the record, there are many things you can exclude in places like Match, and that is everything from Race to Height, to income, to weight. Dating is like a meat market, so we're all able to pick and choose whatever we find appetizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.