Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with this. All the 20-something guys I know are bright, accomplished guys, and very marriage-minded. One married his gf a couple of years ago, she already had a child by another guy, and they're doing just fine. This is not to say that lifelong players don't exist, nor is it to say that marriage is right for everyone, as Yellow-Jacket pointed out. It's only saying that there are all kinds of men out there, and it's inaccurate to say the least to write off an entire generation as not being interested in commitment and marriage. I'm sure a simple check of the wedding announcements page of your local Sunday paper would make it clear that plenty of 20- and 30-something guys are into marriage. My nephew just got married a week ago, and he's 27. And what about the two guys who started OP's a month or two ago about how everyone they know is already married and having babies by their mid-20's? These guys were terrified that they'd missed the boat and would never find someone for an LTR.

Just introducing a little reality check to a one-sided thread.
Perhaps it has something to do with where you live, because this is DEFINITELY not my experience. In my experience most men freak out and break up with their girlfriends if they mention moving in together or getting married. Kids? Well, I do have a few single mom friends whose boyfriends/husbands freaked out and left them because they weren't 'ready for the responsibility'.

It seems fairly common for men to be the stereotypical commitmentphobes where I live...in fact, it's expected. Most of the men I meet complain constantly about their girlfriends wanting to get married or start a family, and these are men in their late 20s throughout their 40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I never understood women who would sleep with a guy, have his babies, move in with him then get mad when he didnt put a ring on your finger.

Like what did you expect? Lol
I have seen this often and it is sad. I know so many women who had kids with guys without being married then he left them. Sometimes he left before the child was born, but often these were couples together for years, lived together then he found someone else. I would tell anyone that they shouldn't be buying a house of having kids without the marriage.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with this. All the 20-something guys I know are bright, accomplished guys, and very marriage-minded. One married his gf a couple of years ago, she already had a child by another guy, and they're doing just fine. This is not to say that lifelong players don't exist, nor is it to say that marriage is right for everyone, as Yellow-Jacket pointed out. It's only saying that there are all kinds of men out there, and it's inaccurate to say the least to write off an entire generation as not being interested in commitment and marriage. I'm sure a simple check of the wedding announcements page of your local Sunday paper would make it clear that plenty of 20- and 30-something guys are into marriage. My nephew just got married a week ago, and he's 27. And what about the two guys who started OP's a month or two ago about how everyone they know is already married and having babies by their mid-20's? These guys were terrified that they'd missed the boat and would never find someone for an LTR.

Just introducing a little reality check to a one-sided thread.
I am seeing an interesting trend and that is people marrying in their early-mid 20s. I find this interesting because I know so many single people in their 30s-50s (never married)yet it seems much younger are marrying. I suspect it's because they saw older people they knew finally deciding to marry and struggling to find it.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
It's one thing to get the milk. It's another to get the cream. You deserve the cream.
Crap analogy..

Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
THANK YOU!!! That is something I have never been able to figure out. I was told if I wasn't ready/willing to have sex after the first month or so that I was a tease, frigid, or the best suggestion-that I should try a Christian dating site. Ha! I'm not even Christian!! But at the same time, I've had A LOT of guy friends who do NOT speak in a respectful manner about the women they hook up with. Crazy, huh?!?
You're welcome....

To you and Jaybird both....THIS kind of thing has been going on long before MY time! According to my mother, who is in her late 80s, this is the way it was when SHE was a young gal!! It went on during MY time. I "lost" the interest of several males, while in high school, because I wouldn't put out. Oh well..their loss, not mine! LOL

OH, and lilred, if it's any consolation...every one of those guys who "moved on", because I wouldn't put out?....it broke my heart at the time, but every single one of those guys ended up being L-O-S-E-R-S. Talk about dodging bullets!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Would anyone recommend a Christian site to a non-christian man with strict morals?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
This entire thread is carp because it is based on a fallacy in the first place.

The fallacy being that getting married is some sort of "prize".

To me marriage is be like winning a lifetime's supply of cow manure in a contest you didn't even know you entered...no prize at all.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

To me marriage is be like winning a lifetime's supply of cow manure in a contest you didn't even know you entered...no prize at all.
Not to be a smarta$$ or anything......but I feel like I WON the prize. Hey, I had a short, first marriage.... believe me, I know the difference! My marriage IS a prize....a gift.

Oh, and if I won a life-time supply of cow manure....DELIVERED to my home...I'd be one friggin' happy camper!! Free compost for my gardens?....DELIVERED! Hell yeah!!!!

I guess, as in everything.....it's all about perspective!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

I agree so many people are brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships