Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM

548 posts, read 890,896 times

Advertisements

I am talking to this one guy who I'm hitting it off with but it turns out he drinks and smokes weed and I disapprove both of those. Have any of you ever dealt with a problem like this?

I really don't like people who drink, smoke, or do drugs and I would rather date someone clean or straight edge like myself but those are hard to come by. Even if I were to ask him to not drink or smoke weed around me I would still feel uncomfortable about it.

I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Don't date him appears to be the most logical solution.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
If you can't handle the drugs and booze, you can't handle it. Don't waste his time.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If you can't handle the drugs and booze, you can't handle it. Don't waste his time.
I know but I really like him and know we could possibly click really well its just those 2 issues that are in the way.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
I don't think they are hard to come by. There are plenty of people who don't do those things. Other than drinking socially, which for me has cut down considerably, because I drive everywhere, so I don't drink, I have never smoked a cigarette, smoked weed, or done drugs in my entire life. And lot of people don't do those things, becuase they want to be healthy and in shape.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Know yourself!!!

I am serious too.

You have expressed his drinking and drug abuse as being things you don't "approve of." This is a deal breaker. You may otherwise think he is great, but in a relationship, these things will keep coming up as friction, and I suspect they are not things you will find acceptable comprimise on.

Someone who is living a party life, drinking, doing drugs, etc, is never going to be compatable with someone who is not interested in that lifestyle.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I know but I really like him and know we could possibly click really well its just those 2 issues that are in the way.
From experience in my parents marriage, drug and alcohol use ain't "just two issues", believe me. That is and should be a major dealbreaker.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Know yourself!!!

I am serious too.

You have expressed his drinking and drug abuse as being things you don't "approve of." This is a deal breaker. You may otherwise think he is great, but in a relationship, these things will keep coming up as friction, and I suspect they are not things you will find acceptable comprimise on.

Someone who is living a party life, drinking, doing drugs, etc, is never going to be compatable with someone who is not interested in that lifestyle.
Thats true and whats dumb to me at least is that he said he had gone to Disneyland and had gotten "high" before going into the theme park with his friends soon after buying himself and his friends brownies and cookies to eat and share etc.

To me I think that is dumb you need to get high to enjoy a theme park? You can't just go to the theme park for the fun of it you need to be high or drunk? Come on now and get a life hahahahaha

Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM

864 posts, read 1,453,831 times
Quote:
I am talking to this one guy who I'm hitting it off with but it turns out he drinks and smokes weed and I disapprove both of those. Have any of you ever dealt with a problem like this?

I really don't like people who drink, smoke, or do drugs and I would rather date someone clean or straight edge like myself but those are hard to come by. Even if I were to ask him to not drink or smoke weed around me I would still feel uncomfortable about it.

I don't know what to do.
You really need to ask what to do? C'mon! He does two activities that you disapprove of (especially the pot smoking...), and you don't know what to do? People who don't drink or do drugs are hard to come by? That makes it sound like you are feeling desperate, and you shouldn't. He definitely doesn't sound like the "end all, be all".

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but I don't have an issue with someone who drinks only socially (at the most); but I'd never be interested in someone who smokes pot or cigarettes.

C'mon. You need to ask what to do? Dump the guy and find someone who shares your values.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:

I don't know what to do.
Move on, really soooooooo not worth the energy and aftermath of hurt. Speaking from experience. I woke to the guy speaking to his spider man poster, he was totally engaged, enrared, I couldn't calm the man down had to exit the apt. Pay phones were still in use in those days, made use to call his mom, had his family come get him. Relationship was never the same, I was terrified. I forget what kind of pot that was they were smoking back then, but obviously, it was spiked. And I know not every person that smokes and drinks is going to go crazy on you, but for me, not worth the risk. I don't like pot heads or being around lushes period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships