Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Eh - some men just really like cars. My dad was a car fanatic. They were his babies. He liked to work on them - even had a grease pit put in their garage. He had some really nice cars and some fixer upppers over the years. I'm not sure that he thought it said something impressive about him - he just loved cars. Now - before the woman-haters on here call my mom a gold digger - both my parents were totally broke when they fell in love and got married. And over the years, there were times my mom made more than him.

Personally, I can't tell you much about a car beyond what color it is.
I'll agree with that, but I do think the guys who think that having a hot car is imperative for snagging a woman are generally barking up the wrong tree. They're out there, but I don't know many women who give a rat's ass about a dude's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
In my opinion neither is worse though likely guys will say being used for money and gals will say being used for sex.

It seems you may have a bias by potraying being used for money as long-term while being used for sex as short-term with a possibility of something real in the future.

Being used for sex or money can be short-term or long-term and both may have a possibility of something real in the future. A guy can stay with a gal long-term and use her for sex while a gal can pursue a guy for a night of expensive entertainment and there may be a small possbility of something real in the future.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Using people isn't right. Neither one makes it okay.

There's a big difference, though, between women seeking men who are financially stable and "using him for money." Just as there is a big different between men seeking women who they find sexy, and men using women for sex.

And PS: it can go the other way around too.

I have to add to Bobman's original question: not only do I wonder if many of you have ever met real women, but I can't help but wonder if some of you people ever step outside of your home. Maybe if some of you experienced the real world more you wouldn't have so much confusion about male-female relationships.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I see a guy in a car that costs more than my annual salary and I think "douchebag." Why would I be interested in some idiot who spends his money on such a frivolous thing? Total misalignment of values.
If he spends less %age of his salary on his car than you do (even if it is more than your entire salary), who's the dbag then?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Btw, knowing a lot of real women, I can't say I really know any who give a rat's ass what kind of car a guy drives.
So the joke is on them.

People need to quit buying stuff to impress other people and just be happy and true to themselves.
THAT is attractive to other people.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Eh - some men just really like cars. My dad was a car fanatic. They were his babies. He liked to work on them - even had a grease pit put in their garage. He had some really nice cars and some fixer upppers over the years. I'm not sure that he thought it said something impressive about him - he just loved cars. Now - before the woman-haters on here call my mom a gold digger - both my parents were totally broke when they fell in love and got married. And over the years, there were times my mom made more than him.

Yeah, I totally respect that, but when a guy just goes for a status symbol or something he thinks makes him look cool, I think it's ridiculous. Then you're spending money on image and that just rules a guy out for me.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
I see a guy in a car that costs more than my annual salary and I think "douchebag." Why would I be interested in some idiot who spends his money on such a frivolous thing? Total misalignment of values.
LOL. There is an exception for me though. If I guy rolled up in a Bentley, I would take him up for a ride to cross it off my bucket list.

But I really don't care. Keep your car clean, make sure it isn't too busted, we are good. I don't like driving much. My car is pretty decked out though.

If it is indian summer in the Bay, I am slightly more attracted to a convertible. Only because the weather is nice.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:

I think it depends on the reasons behind getting the car. If someone gets a car only because it is expensive, then we aren't compatible.

You get bonus points in my book if you like old cars. Especially those awesome gangster cars from the 20s-40s.

I am actually even OK if you buy a car because it is fast, and you like racing (BMW racing school is on my bucket list, it is really the next logical progression for me since I like car racing games.)

But if you buy a car to brag about the price tag, that's pretty lame.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Yeah, I totally respect that, but when a guy just goes for a status symbol or something he thinks makes him look cool, I think it's ridiculous. Then you're spending money on image and that just rules a guy out for me.
Now I agree with that, that's a reasonable view. It's your earlier point of having an expensive car equaling "douchebag" which strikes me as being less reasonable.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
How can I get used for sex though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships