Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't date someone I had to reassure all the time. We all have our own insecurities. My stomach isn't a chiseled master piece of six pack abs, but I wouldn't insist on keeping my shirt on. That's weird, and if I was a guy the leaving the shirt on would bug me WAY more a little stomach pooch. You dodged a bullet not dating those chicks. I think a person can be confident and nice. They aren't mutually exclusive. Just because someone, either male or female is a nice person doesn't mean they're insecure or a pushover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I wouldn't date someone I had to reassure all the time. We all have our own insecurities. My stomach isn't a chiseled master piece of six pack abs, but I wouldn't insist on keeping my shirt on. That's weird, and if I was a guy the leaving the shirt on would bug me WAY more a little stomach pooch. You dodged a bullet not dating those chicks. I think a person can be confident and nice. They aren't mutually exclusive. Just because someone, either male or female is a nice person doesn't mean they're insecure or a pushover.
Apparently not on this forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
I don't know anyone who isn't insecure with some part of themselves. The problem is perfectly managable in a relationship that has some basis in empathy and acceptance.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well if you feel that way why are you his friend?
Feel what way?!

I'm friends with him, because I am not cold hearted. I understand that most people reach low points in their lives.

I'm more likely to be someone's friend who has reached a low point, than someone who has never experienced any trials in life.

I wish I could be cold hearted enough to just turn around and say "f*** off!!!" When someone reaches that point in his life.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Society makes women insecure
How so? Seems like society puts women on a pedastal.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
I couldn't do that

Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times
I wouldn't mind a woman with low self esteem. There are worse things, like being a mean person, for example. I can handle giving a little extra self-assurance.

It definitely wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. That's part of the job of being a good boyfriend... you should know how to make your woman feel beautiful.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Nope! I don't date low self esteem and I don't date drama. Period. I have no time nor patience to deal with it.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,369 times
Everyone has insecurities, but I hate it when guys let them out as soon as they meet you. It makes me extremely uncomfortable and turns me off.

My friend invited me out one night a few weeks ago and said her single cousin was also there, in case I was interested. I'm not really into the idea of dating any of my friends' family members, but I figured I'd consider her cousin just in case. He turned out to be a nightmare. Within minutes of meeting me, he started in on how much money he had, how he owned a house, how I was too pretty to date him, that he had acne scars on his face. It didn't stop! It got to the point where I had to politely leave because I couldn't even enjoy hanging out with my friend. That was not what I expected for the evening.

A guy friend wants to date me, but he wears his insecurities on his sleeve, which is a turn off. He also tries to brag about things to make up for his insecurities. Another guy I dated in college tried to mask his insecurities with arrogance, which is an even bigger turn off. Actually, I dated two guys like that. It's so annoying. Oh, and one guy I met from online dating let out all his insecurities on our first date. Not good.

One boyfriend had insecurities, but they were hard to identify. I think he mostly just accepted his insecurities and exuded the sexiest confidence instead. He was fun to be with and his confidence was absolutely amazing. I miss that.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,696 times
Isn't it funny how this thread would never work or be believable if the genders were reversed.

Low self-esteemed, insecure, self conscious women can and do have boyfriends all the time, and it's totally tolerated. Sure, the OP is complaining about it, but still puts up with it, as does every guy because we're told that these are traits that a man needs to accept in a woman..."Thats just the way women are, don't try to change her".

I can't imagine a "My boyfriend is self conscious about his tiny muscles" thread. It wouldn't be believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships