Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm sure he'll be SOL in about a month when your preferences shift.
My preferences always stay the same: childless Catholic men and he fits that to a T. However he is very shy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My preferences always stay the same: childless Catholic men and he fits that to a T. However he is very shy.
Well, good luck to you. And good luck to him as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I've never really understood it. Everyone likes different things when looking at a partner. But I've seen people get attacked because their choices. I've seen people call women who don't like short men get called shallow for example, but to me if she doesn't like short men, that's her preference and she has a right to it
Because in many cases, the word "preference" is used as a cover by people who don't want to own up to their own prejudices. To take an extreme but clear example, many Southern business owners in the early 1960s defended by segregation by saying they weren't really racist, they just "preferred" that blacks didn't patronize their establishments.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think the biggest problem is moreso related to how people describe the people who don't meet their preferences. Usually it looks like:
I only like XYZ. People who are not XYZ are horrible, unattractive and I have no idea why any would want to date those sort of people because they all do XYZ and are like XYZ.

So not only did you exclude XYZ, you implied they were useless to society (or maybe only for dating).

It is OK if I am not your type. It is not OK to say all women who are my type are inferior to type XYZ because of <insert your favorite stereotype here, negative descriptor>.

This sums it up perfectly.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,579 times
Quote:
I've never really understood it. Everyone likes different things when looking at a partner. But I've seen people get attacked because their choices. I've seen people call women who don't like short men get called shallow for example, but to me if she doesn't like short men, that's her preference and she has a right to it
People like to go on their little tirades and mini power trips for several different reasons- usually because they feel a lack of control within themselves so they try to exert control other people's thoughts and opinions? A meltdown on some kind of psychological complex, maybe.

Reminds me of a chijuajua barking. I mean, yes- people have various preferences- Get over it. Quit gnawing at my feet.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM

30,993 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Well if it is meant to be then so be it. I will not settle and I don't feel I have to.
Every one settles, sometimes it something big sometimes its something small but everyone settles.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
Sure but I will not settle on those, ever. When people settle on things they find bothersome they end up miserable.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,504 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Besides, it's called PREFERENCES for a reason. A person may prefer a certain characteristic, but if that person doesn't have said characteristic, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker (if they have other outstanding characteristics to compensate).

For example, I prefer darker skinned women. However, I dated a very pale girl last year because she loved to travel to the same exotic places that I love to travel to (which is not very common in the US). We also had a lot of chemistry. Thus, her skin color became a nonfactor even though she didn't fit my preference.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Agreed.

Besides, it's called PREFERENCES for a reason. A person may prefer a certain characteristic, but if that person doesn't have said characteristic, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker (if they have other outstanding characteristics to compensate).

For example, I prefer darker skinned women. However, I dated a very pale girl last year because she loved to travel to the same exotic places that I love to travel to (which is not very common in the US). We also had a lot of chemistry. Thus, her skin color became a nonfactor even though she didn't fit my preference.
I feel so special

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Especially if the snotty person who excludes XYZs are themselves XYZ.
Totally. That just makes it extra ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships