Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed. Sometimes the truth really is very inconvenient
Your truth? We seem to have a little dictator around here...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Having a child is a blessing on the world- being married and "respectable" and agreeing to an abortion is a curse on the world. People are what you make them...you want to persecute the child born out of wed lock then you can return to the dark ages of prisons and where the word bastard was the social title of the socially discredited. What makes people think that they who have children in wedlock are better than those that don't? The children of divorce probably out number the bastards..by far...go figure.
Most abortions don't happen to married women

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
Quote:
It's not like I've got one foot in the old folks home

My kids are in their 20's and they wouldn't have kids out of wedlock either.

Like cpg said, this is problem with our culture and it is weakening the foundation of our country.
I said older people, not old folks. Completely different. I'm talking about generational differences. Gen Y vs. Gen X vs. Baby Boomer Vs. Boomers. Each generation approached marriage, children, careers, money etc different. Every generation things change.

As for your kids, great for them for not having kids out of wedlock either(I know you said you have two sons correct?). But that doesn't change the fact that in my generation it seems to be a trend to cohabitate, not want to get married, and/or sometimes have a child unmarried. Baby Boomers got married early, had children in their early twenties, bought a house, etc, and valued marriage. Gen X'ers approached things differently from baby boomers. They tended to get married later, have children in their mid thirties to early forties which was completely different from the baby boomers who had kids in their early twenties. Generation Y is different from Gen X, and Baby Boomers.

Of course in every generation there are loads of people that either follow trend, or don't follow trend; there are plenty of people like your sons for instance that wouldn't have children without being married or under 30. But there are also people that for whatever reason, have children younger in life, without being married, and sometimes they are single parents. Sometimes they aren't. Yes it's horrible that there are so many single mom's raising children, young people raising children, and people that don't value marriage or aren't married raising children, and I agree that it's a cultural change. I don't know when the change occurred, but it seems like it's a part of the Gen Y culture(it's my opinion anyway). Most Gen Yr's where born in the early 1980's, so most happen to be 31/32 and under and that (those under 30) happens to also be the largest group of people having kids out of wedlock. Make the connection? I did.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I said older people, not old folks. Completely different. I'm talking about generational differences. Gen Y vs. Gen X vs. Baby Boomer Vs. Boomers. Each generation approached marriage, children, careers, money etc different. Every generation things change.

As for your kids, great for them for not having kids out of wedlock either(I know you said you have two sons correct?). But that doesn't change the fact that in my generation it seems to be a trend to cohabitate, not want to get married, and/or sometimes have a child unmarried. Gen X'ers approached things differently from baby boomers. They tended to get married later, and have children in their mid thirties to early forties. Of course in every generation there are loads of people that either follow trend, or don't follow trend; there are plenty of people like your sons for instance that wouldn't have children without being married or under 30. But there are also people that for whatever reason, have children younger in life, without being married, and sometimes they are single parents. Sometimes they aren't. Yes it's horrible that there are so many single mom's raising children, young people raising children, and people that don't value marriage or aren't married raising children, and I agree that it's a cultural change. I don't know when the change occurred, but it seems like it's a part of the Gen Y culture(it's my opinion anyway). Most Gen Yr's where born in the early 1980's, so most happen to be 31/32 and under and that (those under 30) happens to also be the largest group of people having kids out of wedlock. Make the connection? I did.
The change occurred after abortion was legalized, technology came, life got expensive, divorce rates rose, forced shotguns stopped, and everyone could use BC, guess what happened? Yep, people began to pop without marrying.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I can't believe this!

For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage - NYTimes.com

That is a crazy stat.

Marriage is fast becoming something for "educated" people. And not for everyone.
For those who don't want to ever have to worry about work, having a baby out of wedlock is the way to go. Free housing with Section 8, food stamps, WIC, free day care, free health care -- and even free cash.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
The change occurred after abortion was legalized, technology came, life got expensive, divorce rates rose, forced shotguns stopped, and everyone could use BC, guess what happened? Yep, people began to pop without marrying.
With great powers come great responsibility.

People always scream about wanting the 'freedom' to do as they please and don't realize that some people will use that freedom negatively.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
But going back to the OP's most of these women having kids under 30, without being married ARE gen Y'rs. Abortion was legalized decades ago, and it happened before the out of wedlock number for this particular age group(30 and under) was as high as it is today. So it isn't just abortion being legalized. FYI the high divorce rate mainly applies to Baby Boomers and some Gen x'rs way more than it does Gen Yr's--most Gen y'rs aren't even married yet. All of these changes that you're talking about changed decades ago, and don't necessarily account for the statistic. What does account for it, is like Lovemountains said--a change in culture, and values.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Most abortions don't happen to married women
Yah think? How about a couple who are not married who have one child but do not want another- or an Asian couple who insist on aborting the baby if it is female? So abortions "happen" to people...is that like being hit by a car- just happens? I really don't understand between same sex marriage -regular marriage...super high divorce rates...why..................People respect the institution? They just did a survey recently and the findings were ....common law or (out of wedlock unions) have now surpassed formal marriage.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Out of wedlock does not mean that both parents are not together..what is weakening the foundations of the country is divorce and confused children who's parents never did their duty in the raising and protection of them.
But that almost always amounts to a man living in free Section 8 housing with free utilities, no financial responsibility for the health care.

The huge jump in welfare numbers correlates with babies born to single mothers.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM

108 posts, read 393,088 times
Default There is somethng Wrong with Them

I have said this before and I will say it again. 99 % of the women who have kids who are good and respectful and have honor are women who are married. If a woman is single and not married with kids then there is usually something wrong with her unless of course she is single because of a tragic circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships